Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Oh. I think I see it now. Looks like a custom bracket coming from the passenger peg mount. I thought it was bolted to the lower shock mount initially.
 
Looks to me like a flat bracket bolted to the back of the muffler, and to the bolt with the big black ring around it on the footpeg mounting bracket
 
Oh I thought you were analyzing his muffler mounting. My bad.
 
Hi Chuckk:

I am interested in the potential of this modification ...



My questions are:

* Is this an engine "slider"?
* Does your feet reach these, that is, can you rest your feet on them?
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Thanks Cormanus. Was your treadwear about the same as your OE radials? Better? Worse? That'd be my only reason to try them.
LongRanger, I had two sets of them. I picked them because neither of the OEM options were available in Australia and there was nothing else of the correct size. The first set didn't wear as well as the OEM tyres—at least the rear didn't and I replaced them both. The second set suffered from a gash appearing in the rear somewhat prematurely. I replaced them both to as I abandoned the notion of a standard-sized rear and changed to Michelin PR3s. I had 3 sets of them and got exceptional wear, but the rear is no longer available so now I have BT31 radials. They've done 6,000 + kms and still look good. We'll see.
 
Gold, I have sliders on my bike and they don’t work well as foot rests. Others have had a different experience. Maybe different makes are different. :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Gold, I have sliders on my bike and they don’t work well as foot rests. Others have had a different experience. Maybe different makes are different. :)
Bah, unfortunately what I was expecting. I suppose if a grippy surface is added and assuming the sliders are long enough to be practical.

Chuckk's looks long, but I can't be sure from the image. Also, his appears slippery, but can't be sure.
 
Thread starter
geeeez, where do I start.. you guys changed the subject a few times.. to start with, my emgo shorty reverse cone mufflers (both sides) utilize the existing Honda muffler mount..you know, the same place the rear pegs mount.. easy peasy.. I made my own center stand stop, seeing that the original stop is located on the stock muffler.. my bottom supporting clamp for the backrest is a stock Honda clamp probably from crash bars on a 1100 goldwing.. I have had lots of those 1100's 1000's 1200's 1500's and a few 1800 goldwings they are great clamps.. they are flattened on the "U" part of the clamp for clearance I guess.. I can ride 2 up with the back rest in place or pull 2 pins and remove the backrest, so my baby can hug me .. as far as the sliders, I customized them too.. I bought the longer of the two length plastics, then I used 1/2 in. all thread, putting a chrome crown nut on the out side and two regular nuts on the inside tightened against each other at just the right spot on the all thread so the outside crown nut would be able to pinch the plastic slider and hold fast.. then I used alum. tubing cut to just the right length.. I could have easily made them stand out farther and use them for freeway pegs, but I chose not to.. both left and right alum tubes are of different lengths, because one side case steps out farther than the other.. note: if I remember the all thread utilized one of the motor mount bolt holes. I may have had to drill and open up that motor mount nut, figuring if I had to go back, I would use a nut and bolt in that drilled out hole .. any questions.... chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
geeeez, where do I start.. you guys changed the subject a few times.. to start with, my emgo shorty reverse cone mufflers (both sides) utilize the existing Honda muffler mount..you know, the same place the rear pegs mount.. easy peasy.. I made my own center stand stop, seeing that the original stop is located on the stock muffler.. my bottom supporting clamp for the backrest is a stock Honda clamp probably from crash bars on a 1100 goldwing.. I have had lots of those 1100's 1000's 1200's 1500's and a few 1800 goldwings they are great clamps.. they are flattened on the "U" part of the clamp for clearance I guess.. I can ride 2 up with the back rest in place or pull 2 pins and remove the backrest, so my baby can hug me .. as far as the sliders, I customized them too.. I bought the longer of the two length plastics, then I used 1/2 in. all thread, putting a chrome crown nut on the out side and two regular nuts on the inside tightened against each other at just the right spot on the all thread so the outside crown nut would be able to pinch the plastic slider and hold fast.. then I used alum. tubing cut to just the right length.. I could have easily made them stand out farther and use them for freeway pegs, but I chose not to.. both left and right alum tubes are of different lengths, because one side case steps out farther than the other.. note: if I remember the all thread utilized one of the motor mount bolt holes. I may have had to drill and open up that motor mount nut, figuring if I had to go back, I would use a nut and bolt in that drilled out hole .. any questions.... chuckk j.
Hey, alright Chuckk, thanks for the detailed response.
 
I haven't followed the tire threads too closely, but it seems the topic of replacement tires always brings up lots of comments. Makes me wonder if stock replacements are difficult to come by or maybe they're very expensive?
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
I haven't followed the tire threads too closely, but it seems the topic of replacement tires always brings up lots of comments. Makes me wonder if stock replacements are difficult to come by or maybe they're very expensive?
personally, I like to have as many options as possible.. that is the main reason I have made those brackets to raise my front fender.. raising the front fender was pretty easy.. I think the sealing of my spoked rims will be more challenging.. this will allow me to use tubeless tires without using inner tubes, which everyone seems to agree, isn't a good idea.. I can't wait until my stock d205 is a little more used up and I can get in there and try the 3m 5200 sealer..
chuckk j.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I haven't followed the tire threads too closely, but it seems the topic of replacement tires always brings up lots of comments. Makes me wonder if stock replacements are difficult to come by or maybe they're very expensive?
My experience has typically been decent service garages can get whatever you want. Usually it is a balance between time to wait, and how much you are willing to fork out.
 
pdedse, the OEM tyres for the 2010-2016 models cannot be bought in Australia. Even if you could get them, the OEM Bridgestone tyres for those models wear out on the way home from the tyre shop and so aren’t worth fitting. Other brands that fit the 18” rims (particularly the rear 140) are hard to come by.

I recall Nortoon had trouble finding tyres for his 2017.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse, the OEM tyres for the 2010-2016 models cannot be bought in Australia. Even if you could get them, the OEM Bridgestone tyres for those models wear out on the way home from the tyre shop and so aren’t worth fitting. Other brands that fit the 18” rims (particularly the rear 140) are hard to come by.

I recall Nortoon had trouble finding tyres for his 2017.
Interesting. Not understanding (as funny as you word it) the early wear down of the OEM tires. Is this a global thing or localized to the closest manufacturing facility? I don't see the OEMs being quite that terrible, but believe when you say it happens.
 
Back
Top