GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
Good point Flynrider.
" ... but officer, it's because of my tires."
" ... but officer, it's because of my tires."
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
hi Flynrider .. the front tire is my biggest concern.. I need clearance on that front fender.. 3/4 in. is about all there is with the stock tire..Flynrider_imp said:Another thing to keep in mind with those Shinko sizes you mentioned is that they will be taller than the stock sizes. The front will be about 3/4" taller and the rear about 1/2" taller. Your speedometer will be off due to the taller rear tire.
Well, the front will be 3/4" greater in overall diameter, so the decrease in space between the wheel and the fender will be half of that.Chuckk_imp said:hi Flynrider .. the front tire is my biggest concern.. I need clearance on that front fender.. 3/4 in. is about all there is with the stock tire..Flynrider_imp said:Another thing to keep in mind with those Shinko sizes you mentioned is that they will be taller than the stock sizes. The front will be about 3/4" taller and the rear about 1/2" taller. Your speedometer will be off due to the taller rear tire.
Well, the front will be 3/4" greater in overall diameter, so the decrease in space between the wheel and the fender will be half of that.Flynrider_imp said:Well, the front will be 3/4" greater in overall diameter, so the decrease in space between the wheel and the fender will be half of that.Chuckk_imp said:hi Flynrider .. the front tire is my biggest concern.. I need clearance on that front fender.. 3/4 in. is about all there is with the stock tire..Flynrider_imp said:Another thing to keep in mind with those Shinko sizes you mentioned is that they will be taller than the stock sizes. The front will be about 3/4" taller and the rear about 1/2" taller. Your speedometer will be off due to the taller rear tire.
pekingduck_imp said:hello again duck .. do you run spoked rims on your 2013 ? with that v rating I would assume they are tubeless tires .. I am hoping to find someone that may have installed a tubeless tire on a spoked rim with tubes..[/b]
Not completely true -- the 2014 Deluxe has cast wheels and tubeless tires. The OEM alternative to the Dunlop D205 is the Bridgestone BT54. Your shop can order them, plus they're available online. Good catch LoneRanger, you are correct. My bad, dunno what I was thinkin, as the 2014 Deluxe wheels are definitely cast. I must be gettin old (er).LongRanger_imp said:Not completely true -- the 2014 Deluxe has cast wheels and tubeless tires. The OEM alternative to the Dunlop D205 is the Bridgestone BT54. Your shop can order them, plus they're available online.2017EX_imp said:I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.
As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.
Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
Cormanus' pid='228494' dateline='1548662950 said:Chuckk, simply copy the url for the YouTube video and paste it into your post.
I have tried to copy and paste .. can't get it to work here on this site.. I did my search "sealing spoked motorcycle rims" .. maybe you, cormanus, have the magic touch.. to me I seems to be a simple solution to gain tire options.. some people may feel it is too risky.. I believe people should be made aware.. then they can make up their own minds.. now that I have found out I have the MT style rims on my 2017ex 1100, I will probably move forward and seal them.. it seems the biggest risk I would be taking is developing a slow leak.. posting the video will get people talking about pros and cons .. good luck .................... Chuckk j.
Chuckk_imp said:Cormanus' pid='228494' dateline='1548662950 said:Chuckk, simply copy the url for the YouTube video and paste it into your post.
I have tried to copy and paste .. can't get it to work here on this site.. I did my search "sealing spoked motorcycle rims" .. maybe you, cormanus, have the magic touch.. to me I seems to be a simple solution to gain tire options.. some people may feel it is too risky.. I believe people should be made aware.. then they can make up their own minds.. now that I have found out I have the MT style rims on my 2017ex 1100, I will probably move forward and seal them.. it seems the biggest risk I would be taking is developing a slow leak.. posting the video will get people talking about pros and cons .. good luck .................... Chuckk j.
peterbaron_imp said:thanks Peter, for your help .. Chuckk j.[/b]Chuckk_imp said:Cormanus' pid='228494' dateline='1548662950 said:Chuckk, simply copy the url for the YouTube video and paste it into your post.
I have tried to copy and paste .. can't get it to work here on this site.. I did my search "sealing spoked motorcycle rims" .. maybe you, cormanus, have the magic touch.. to me I seems to be a simple solution to gain tire options.. some people may feel it is too risky.. I believe people should be made aware.. then they can make up their own minds.. now that I have found out I have the MT style rims on my 2017ex 1100, I will probably move forward and seal them.. it seems the biggest risk I would be taking is developing a slow leak.. posting the video will get people talking about pros and cons .. good luck .................... Chuckk j.
Hello duck,pekingduck_imp said:The OEM tires are V-rated, and the Shinko 777s are H-rated. I've used Shinkos on smaller bikes and they seem okay, but on a big heavy, higher-powered bikes, I'd stay with a V-rated tire.
I replaced the tires on my 2013 in November with a V-Rated 150/70-18 Bridgestone BT45 rear. It was just $108.88 from Pardon Our Interruption. The front I used was a V-Rated 110/90-18 Bridgestone BT45 for $101.88. No tax and free shipping too. The Shinkos are just a little less.
The stock size is a lower profile, narrower size - 110/80-18. I would not recommend a larger 120/90-18 since it will make the bike steer much more sluggishly. It is effectively 2 sizes bigger.
jack up the front wheel a little and rotate the tire.. look and listen for rubbing ..Lord Popgun_imp said:Sounds like it is rubbing somewhere. I suggest you go look closely before you have a tire failure.
Hi Rossi,pekingduck_imp said:Hello duck,
I just bought my 2017 ex and it came with a new Shinko 110/90 on the front and I have noticed every time I ride the front fender is covered with a fine black dust. I am wondering if the slightly larger tire is the cause or this is normal even with the 110/80?
Thanks,
Rossi
that is true.. they know best.. my reason for going just a little bit larger is only for looks.. I like wider tires.. what can I say.. if I can go just a wee bit larger front and rear without causing any disastrous affects why not.. I can appreciate the good handling of my little CB and don't want that to change.. if I notice any changes with larger tires, I will move back to stock sizes..DBM_imp said:I just replaced my front tire at 4000 miles with a exact copy of the original Bridgestone Battleaxe BT54. Why would you use anything other than what the engineers spec'd for your bike? They know best, and are way smarter than any of us blokes.
Cost of the OEM tires is something the Honda people have to think about when picking a tire for a bike like ours. When replacing your tire you might look for a better one even if they are more expensive.DBM_imp said:I just replaced my front tire at 4000 miles with a exact copy of the original Bridgestone Battleaxe BT54. Why would you use anything other than what the engineers spec'd for your bike? They know best, and are way smarter than any of us blokes.