Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Chuckk_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am getting ready to do my first tire change on my 2017 CB1100ex .. I have used Shinko tires before and liked them, so I would like to try them out on my CB .. for the front I am hoping to install a 120/90/18 ..for the rear a
150/70/18 .. I am wondering if I can squeeze the 120/90/18 under that front fender.. again, they are Shinko 777's .. has anyone installed a 120/90/18 on the front of a CB1100 ? ..
 
The OEM tires are V-rated, and the Shinko 777s are H-rated. I've used Shinkos on smaller bikes and they seem okay, but on a big heavy, higher-powered bikes, I'd stay with a V-rated tire.

I replaced the tires on my 2013 in November with a V-Rated 150/70-18 Bridgestone BT45 rear. It was just $108.88 from Pardon Our Interruption. The front I used was a V-Rated 110/90-18 Bridgestone BT45 for $101.88. No tax and free shipping too. The Shinkos are just a little less.

The stock size is a lower profile, narrower size - 110/80-18. I would not recommend a larger 120/90-18 since it will make the bike steer much more sluggishly. It is effectively 2 sizes bigger.
 
Thread starter
thanks for your views duck, if I may call you that.. I would like to judge for myself on the handling.. I have had Shinko's on 1800 Goldwings .. also sport bikes.. I am not an expert on handling but they seem to work well in the canyons for me.. they seem to be a pretty quiet tire.. I like that .. what is the "H' ratings top speed, if you know off of the top of your head.. the little cb's don't have a high top speed, so I think I would be safe there.. now I did worry some, when I installed them on one of my blackbirds !! .. but thinking about it, the Shinko I used on the bird had a higher rating, if I remember correctly.. what I was really hoping for is good news on the fitting of a 120/90/18 under that front fender.. I hate to buy a tire that doesn't fit.. thanks again for your comments..... p.s. by what you have said, the rear tire size of 150/70/18 should work for me .. Chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Here is a page with interesting charts on motorcycle tire ratings:
Motorcycle Tire Speed Ratings, Load Ratings & Tire Size Designations
thanks popgun.. that chart is very informative .. it looks like an "h" rating will work for the cb.. most of the things I have done to my 2017 cb hinder it's performance, but make my rides more fun !! .. I have added a windshield, creating more wind resistance.. a tail bag and small hard bags, a drivers backrest, all adding weight to the bike.. twin emgo shortie mufflers, know doubt affecting the motor's operation.. now I want to mess with the tires.. I always liked the looks of wider tires on a bike.. this is my reason to go just a little larger.. I love to experiment .. if these shinko 777's don't work out, I can always go back to stock sizes .. Chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lots of tire rating margin for the speed limited CB1100.
I haven't taken it up to it's max speed yet, but plan on it.. I just have to be a little careful, after installing the windshield.. I have installed a slipstreamer SS24v hellfire.. it took a little tweaking to get it in place, but I am happy with it .. in the past, I have installed the same windshield on a Honda 919 .. the bike started to act funny around 135 mph.. I still have the stock D205's on it with plenty of rubber left on them, so speed is still ok there.. because my dealer doesn't stock my Shinko's, I order them ahead of time.. otherwise, I may have to wait a week or so for the dealer to get them in.. things like flats may prompt me to change the tire without much notice and having them "in stock" in my garage comforts me.. my cost for the Shinko's is ... $89.95 for the front 120/90/18. and $101.95 for the rear 150/70/18 .. tax is additional to those prices, but mounting and balancing is included.. I do have to take the wheels off of the bike and take them in ..
 
I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.

As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.

Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.

As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.

Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
 
Here's another nasty wrinkle. Your friendly neighborhood service department is obligated to be knowledgeable, and install safe equipment on your bike. By installing non-recommended speed-rated tires, they put themselves at legal risk. When I was a service manager many years ago, the customer had to sign a disclaimer if he supplied a used or non-spec tire.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.

As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.

Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
Here is a brief article explaining heat, but also a reduction of speed rating from using tubeless tires with tubes in a tube rim: Expert advice: Choosing the best motorcycle tyres for you Here is a VERY Lengthy article that discusses just about everything you can think of related to tubless vs tube rims, tubeless tires vs tubed tires, and running tubless tires with tubes on a tube rim: Tubeless tires and tube type tires; rims, rim shapes, safety rims, snowflake, BMW motorcycles All things considered, I think my preference will be to stay with the stock Dunlop tires unless someone comes up with tube tires that are the right size from some other manufacturer.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.

As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.

Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
Not completely true -- the 2014 Deluxe has cast wheels and tubeless tires. The OEM alternative to the Dunlop D205 is the Bridgestone BT54. Your shop can order them, plus they're available online.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Here's another nasty wrinkle. Your friendly neighborhood service department is obligated to be knowledgeable, and install safe equipment on your bike. By installing non-recommended speed-rated tires, they put themselves at legal risk. When I was a service manager many years ago, the customer had to sign a disclaimer if he supplied a used or non-spec tire.
hi duck.. ahh yes .. today's world.. cover your a**.. I guess businesses have to be concerned with that.. I resent big brothers guidance sometimes.. although a "be careful, this might happen" is acceptable.. we all over look negative possibilities once and awhile.. that's what friends are for.. to tell you when you are about to do something stupid.. a friend's reminder of "I told you so" is always very painful ..
2017EX_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
I am certainly no tire expert, and dread the day when it is time for a tire change on my 2017EX because of the limited alternatives to the stock Dunlops. Whereas the 2014 Deluxe, 2017EX, and later spoked wheels use an inner tube, all the other models have cast wheels with tubeless tires. In my reading/research while a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel with inner tube, it results in undesirable friction inside the tire which generates equally undesirable heat inside the tire.

As a result I am reluctant to use anything other than a tire that is designed and intended to be used with an inner tube. Yes, there are tubless conversion kits available, but because the tires are the only thing between the bike and the road, I am reluctant to go that route as well.

Safety and regular maintenance is number one with me, so barring availability of a proper safe alternative, I will have to stay with the stock Dunlops. Perhaps there are members with more knowledge about this situation than I have that can shed more light on the situation.
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
Here is a brief article explaining heat, but also a reduction of speed rating from using tubeless tires with tubes in a tube rim: Expert advice: Choosing the best motorcycle tyres for you Here is a VERY Lengthy article that discusses just about everything you can think of related to tubless vs tube rims, tubeless tires vs tubed tires, and running tubless tires with tubes on a tube rim: Tubeless tires and tube type tires; rims, rim shapes, safety rims, snowflake, BMW motorcycles All things considered, I think my preference will be to stay with the stock Dunlop tires unless someone comes up with tube tires that are the right size from some other manufacturer.
hmmm .. never heard that before about creating heat.. I would like to read the explanation of that.. I wonder if that pertains to bias tires as well as radials .. how detrimental is the heat ? ..
Here is a brief article explaining heat, but also a reduction of speed rating from using tubeless tires with tubes in a tube rim: Expert advice: Choosing the best motorcycle tyres for you Here is a VERY Lengthy article that discusses just about everything you can think of related to tubless vs tube rims, tubeless tires vs tubed tires, and running tubless tires with tubes on a tube rim: Tubeless tires and tube type tires; rims, rim shapes, safety rims, snowflake, BMW motorcycles All things considered, I think my preference will be to stay with the stock Dunlop tires unless someone comes up with tube tires that are the right size from some other manufacturer. does anyone know what rim type is I on a 2017 cb1100ex.. is it a MT type or a WM ..
 
There soon will be available a Continental Trail Attack 3 in our 140/70 size for TUBED tires , not the cheapest but a very good tire .
You might check this one out as well.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
There soon will be available a Continental Trail Attack 3 in our 140/70 size for TUBED tires , not the cheapest but a very good tire .
You might check this one out as well.
thanks Houtman.. I still have time before I purchase my new tires..
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
The OEM tires are V-rated, and the Shinko 777s are H-rated. I've used Shinkos on smaller bikes and they seem okay, but on a big heavy, higher-powered bikes, I'd stay with a V-rated tire.

I replaced the tires on my 2013 in November with a V-Rated 150/70-18 Bridgestone BT45 rear. It was just $108.88 from Pardon Our Interruption. The front I used was a V-Rated 110/90-18 Bridgestone BT45 for $101.88. No tax and free shipping too. The Shinkos are just a little less.

The stock size is a lower profile, narrower size - 110/80-18. I would not recommend a larger 120/90-18 since it will make the bike steer much more sluggishly. It is effectively 2 sizes bigger.
hello again duck .. do you run spoked rims on your 2013 ? with that v rating I would assume they are tubeless tires .. I am hoping to find someone that may have installed a tubeless tire on a spoked rim with tubes..
 
hello again duck .. do you run spoked rims on your 2013 ? with that v rating I would assume they are tubeless tires .. I am hoping to find someone that may have installed a tubeless tire on a spoked rim with tubes..[/b]
[/QUOTE]

Hi Chuckk,
I'm running the stock cast spoke rims. I don't have a 2017 rim to look at, but they are likely made by DID. I looked at an older DID rim and it did not have the inner bead shoulder like a tubeless cast wheels have.

I also looked at some newer Excel and Behr (OEM Triumph, BMW, KTM) rims, and they do have those bead shoulders. I suspect that a newer DID rim will have it also, but I;ll verify that. That inner bead would help a deflated tire, tubed or tubeless, stay on the bead.

I'm visiting Buchanan's on Wednesday, so I'll take a look. As far as the designations MT and WM, they denote different things. As I remember from the '70s, the MT stands for "motorcycle tubeless", and is cast in the sizing dimensions on all DOT street wheels that are meant as tubeless.

The WM (as in WM0, WM3, etc) designates a certain width of the rim on the inside, from bead-to-bead. As the number gets larger, the rim is wider. Buchanan's lists Excel rims from size WM1 to WM14. Buchanan Spokes - Excel Dimpled Aluminum Rims

To answer your question of whether you can run a tube with a tubeless tire, I have done that myself many times with no drawbacks. Some manufacturers do not designate a "tube-type" tire, instead they just say to use an inner tube with their tubeless tire in "tube-type" applications.
 
Another thing to keep in mind with those Shinko sizes you mentioned is that they will be taller than the stock sizes. The front will be about 3/4" taller and the rear about 1/2" taller. Your speedometer will be off due to the taller rear tire.
 
Back
Top