Shield = Better Gas Mileage

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Was out for a 400mi ride last week. Went to Lake George for a cup of coffee and my favorite roast beef sandwich. Traveling each way at 65-75 MPH I was getting 58MPG up from my best of 52 without the shield. Blinking reserve came on at 175 and filled up at 198mi at 3.4 gals ( 58.3 not bad )
It makes sense, there's far less pressure on my body and my neck was not hurting from the wind.
Now the seat has a lot to be desired. Did ride the 198 straight but my ass was burning. Could not wait to get off. Needless to say the seat went out to Seth Lamm Monday morning for some work. Should have it back in about 10 days. Back and forth with one fill up not mt ST's mileage but not bad either.
 
Wow 198 on a fill and you may still have had 1/2 gal in the tank or another 25 miles. Thats awesome! That's the best I heard of so far.

Oh...and who is Seth Lamm?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow 198 on a fill and you may still have had 1/2 gal in the tank or another 25 miles. Thats awesome! That's the best I heard of so far.

Oh...and who is Seth Lamm?
Mickey,

Seth Lamm is based in CA and worked for Rick Myers for a few years.

Laam Custom Seats

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag7-p62-64.pdf
Good Read

Nice guy and took the time to hear what i wanted, very personal service. He adds wings to the seat not as aggressive as Russell but the same effect. I'll give a full evaluation after I've put some miles on when i get it back.
 
I did a 400-miler Sunday with my new windscreen, and I noticed a big bump in MPG myself. I'd been getting about 40 mpg without the Dart Flyscreen, but it jumped up to almost 50 with it on. I can't give the screen all the credit; my mileage measurements before the trip were 60/40 city/highway. On the road I'm pretty sure I could go 200 miles on a single tank.

BUT, the damn fuel gauge still drives me nuts! There is no excuse for it being so wildly inaccurate...flashing red/reserve when there's over 2 gallons left.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I did a 400-miler Sunday with my new windscreen, and I noticed a big bump in MPG myself. I'd been getting about 40 mpg without the Dart Flyscreen, but it jumped up to almost 50 with it on. I can't give the screen all the credit; my mileage measurements before the trip were 60/40 city/highway. On the road I'm pretty sure I could go 200 miles on a single tank.

BUT, the damn fuel gauge still drives me nuts! There is no excuse for it being so wildly inaccurate...flashing red/reserve when there's over 2 gallons left.
That is strange, when i fill up at flashing red it always takes about 2.8 to 3.0 that would be about a gallon left in the tank.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
I did a 400-miler Sunday with my new windscreen, and I noticed a big bump in MPG myself. I'd been getting about 40 mpg without the Dart Flyscreen, but it jumped up to almost 50 with it on. I can't give the screen all the credit; my mileage measurements before the trip were 60/40 city/highway. On the road I'm pretty sure I could go 200 miles on a single tank.

BUT, the damn fuel gauge still drives me nuts! There is no excuse for it being so wildly inaccurate...flashing red/reserve when there's over 2 gallons left.
That is strange, when i fill up at flashing red it always takes about 2.8 to 3.0 that would be about a gallon left in the tank.
The tank holds 4.9 gallons, so you've actually got 2 gallons left. That's more than what I think of as a typical reserve amount. Obviously with the odometer you can work around the problem, but it's still disappointing. I demand PERFECTION!!

I've read 2 reviews of the bike that mentioned inaccurate fuel gauges, and shortly after getting the bike I posted this thread:

Fuel Guage
 
Thread starter
The tank holds 4.9 gallons, so you've actually got 2 gallons left. That's more than what I think of as a typical reserve amount. Obviously with the odometer you can work around the problem, but it's still disappointing. I demand PERFECTION!!

Every article and manual I've read states 3.9 fuel capacity. Which puts it right on target with 1 gal remaining in the tank.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100/specifications.aspx
 
SanPete_imp said:
MPG envy :huh: I am averaging 45 mpg no windshield.
I average 50+ no windshield. You constantly riding up hill?

Does this mean when my Dart comes in (hopefully) next week I'm going to see mid 50's? Awesome if so.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The tank holds 4.9 gallons, so you've actually got 2 gallons left. That's more than what I think of as a typical reserve amount. Obviously with the odometer you can work around the problem, but it's still disappointing. I demand PERFECTION!!

Every article and manual I've read states 3.9 fuel capacity. Which puts it right on target with 1 gal remaining in the tank.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100/specifications.aspx
You're right, I had it wrong.
 
I finally checked my mileage today/this week. I have put $5 in several times just to keep it rolling. I topped the tank last Saturday and hit the trip meter. 50 mpg I have been pushing it too so I know better is going to happen

I will be getting a wind screen but I am not certain which one. I am torn between the Dart fly screen and the National Street Shield EX.
 
AzBob_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
MPG envy :huh: I am averaging 45 mpg no windshield.
I average 50+ no windshield. You constantly riding up hill?

Does this mean when my Dart comes in (hopefully) next week I'm going to see mid 50's? Awesome if so.
I average 50+ no windshield. You constantly riding up hill?

Does this mean when my Dart comes in (hopefully) next week I'm going to see mid 50's? Awesome if so.
hehe "riding up hill?"... Florida is as flat as a pancake.
 
The flashing part of the gauge is the only thing I find reliable (flashes with 1 gallon left every time).

This is my first bike with a fuel gauge and the problem I have is that it's not linear. Ideally, each block on the gauge would represent a certain amount of fuel, but it doesn't work out that way. The only time I can look at the gauge and know how much fuel is really in the tank is when it starts flashing. Personally, I don't pay much attention to it and use the trip meter to figure my fuel.

I noticed a fair improvement on my highway mileage after installing a Deflector DX shield. That was pretty obvious since my upper body no longer felt like a parachute at highway speeds. Not much difference in city mileage.
 
Has anyone run out of gas? Of that last gallon left, how much is usable? In other words can you run out with a few tenths of a gallon remaining in the tank?

I had 2009 Suzuki GS500F (with actual reserve). The engine sarted missing due to low fuel but I was able to stand on the pegs and tilt the bike side to side to get some gas in the engine. I made it to a gas station and found there was still 0.4 gallons in the tank based on how much it took to fill it up.
 
I've had a slipstreamed spirit on my bike since the start, my mileage varies from 45 in short trips to 58 in long runs!!!!
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Has anyone run out of gas? Of that last gallon left, how much is usable? In other words can you run out with a few tenths of a gallon remaining in the tank?

I had 2009 Suzuki GS500F (with actual reserve). The engine sarted missing due to low fuel but I was able to stand on the pegs and tilt the bike side to side to get some gas in the engine. I made it to a gas station and found there was still 0.4 gallons in the tank based on how much it took to fill it up.
I haven't run out, but I have stretched the reserve a bit. I have refilled with 3.5 gallons on a few occasions. It's likely that there is some unusable fuel and I was probably pushing it.

I have also used the back up of tilting the bike to get the last dregs of fuel, but only on carbed bikes. I have a feeling that it would not work as well on a fuel injected bike.
 
Back
Top