Shell Rotella Snythetic 5w40 oil in CB1100

capttwb136_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
First of all I'm not trying to start another never ending oil thread. When I bought a Yamaha Star Warrior some years I joined the Star Warrior Forum and read about using Shell Rotella synthetic in the Warrior. Everyone seemed to agree it was a great oil for the Warrior. So I used it exclusively in the Warrior. Never had any problems or strange noises.

When I changed the break in oil on the CB1100, I had 4 qts of Suzuki 10w40 laying around and used them in the CB. I've only put about a thousand miles on it since, have had no weird noises, but read on this forum about the dangers of using 10w40 conventional oil. So I thought it prudent to put 10w30 in it.

I live in a rural area far from MC dealers and went online to order some 10w30 motorcycle oil. I discovered it isn't easy to find 10w30 motorcycle oils. Anyway I was wondering if anyone ran Shell 5w40 in their CB. If you do, do you hear those dreaded noises some guys talk about?

Having owned more than a few bikes in my time I've read quite a few oil threads and quite a lot of info about motorcycle oils. So I know 10w40 oill breaks down to 10w25 in about 1500 miles, and was just wondering what you guys thought about using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40? It's made for diesel engines and is safe for wet clutches on motorcycles.

Walmart sells Shell Rotella and there is a Walmart ten miles from home. Any thoughts?
 
In most of my other bikes I used either Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic or Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic. They were all large displacement metric v-twins which ran and shifted well with the diesel oil. Diesel oils have good shear resistance when used with straight-cut gearing. However, they generally have higher ash, phosphorous and sulfur content and can possibly coke-up valve stems on bikes prone to such issues (like early 1700 Road Stars). Also, if you check, you will find that Rotella T6 is technically considered "synthetic" by definition, but is, in fact, mostly highly-refined dino oil.

I tried Motorcycle specific 10w40 synthetic in my CB and it didn't seem to like it as much and there was more bottom end noise. I know that it is harder to find in some places, but lately I have only been using 10w30 metric 4-stroke motorcycle-specific synthetic. You can almost always find someone who deals in Amsoil who can ship this to you.
 
capttwb136_imp said:
First of all I'm not trying to start another never ending oil thread. When I bought a Yamaha Star Warrior some years I joined the Star Warrior Forum and read about using Shell Rotella synthetic in the Warrior. Everyone seemed to agree it was a great oil for the Warrior. So I used it exclusively in the Warrior. Never had any problems or strange noises.

When I changed the break in oil on the CB1100, I had 4 qts of Suzuki 10w40 laying around and used them in the CB. I've only put about a thousand miles on it since, have had no weird noises, but read on this forum about the dangers of using 10w40 conventional oil. So I thought it prudent to put 10w30 in it.

I live in a rural area far from MC dealers and went online to order some 10w30 motorcycle oil. I discovered it isn't easy to find 10w30 motorcycle oils. Anyway I was wondering if anyone ran Shell 5w40 in their CB. If you do, do you hear those dreaded noises some guys talk about?

Having owned more than a few bikes in my time I've read quite a few oil threads and quite a lot of info about motorcycle oils. So I know 10w40 oill breaks down to 10w25 in about 1500 miles, and was just wondering what you guys thought about using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40? It's made for diesel engines and is safe for wet clutches on motorcycles.

Walmart sells Shell Rotella and there is a Walmart ten miles from home. Any thoughts?
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
capttwb136_imp said:
First of all I'm not trying to start another never ending oil thread. When I bought a Yamaha Star Warrior some years I joined the Star Warrior Forum and read about using Shell Rotella synthetic in the Warrior. Everyone seemed to agree it was a great oil for the Warrior. So I used it exclusively in the Warrior. Never had any problems or strange noises.

When I changed the break in oil on the CB1100, I had 4 qts of Suzuki 10w40 laying around and used them in the CB. I've only put about a thousand miles on it since, have had no weird noises, but read on this forum about the dangers of using 10w40 conventional oil. So I thought it prudent to put 10w30 in it.

I live in a rural area far from MC dealers and went online to order some 10w30 motorcycle oil. I discovered it isn't easy to find 10w30 motorcycle oils. Anyway I was wondering if anyone ran Shell 5w40 in their CB. If you do, do you hear those dreaded noises some guys talk about?

Having owned more than a few bikes in my time I've read quite a few oil threads and quite a lot of info about motorcycle oils. So I know 10w40 oill breaks down to 10w25 in about 1500 miles, and was just wondering what you guys thought about using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40? It's made for diesel engines and is safe for wet clutches on motorcycles.

Walmart sells Shell Rotella and there is a Walmart ten miles from home. Any thoughts?
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
That is what I'm trying to determine. If using 10w40 is okay. 10w40 motorcycle oil is almost universally available. While searching for 10w30 motorcycle oil I was rather surprised to learn it's actually not a very big seller. Not many places outside of a Honda dealer carries it.

I've got 10w40 in my CB now. If that is fine that is what I'll use. I can get that anywhere. How long have you been using the 10w40? Ever hear the strange noises other guys talk about?
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Let me be the first on the forum to say this. 10W-40 is fine.
lol
capttwb136_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
capttwb136_imp said:
First of all I'm not trying to start another never ending oil thread. When I bought a Yamaha Star Warrior some years I joined the Star Warrior Forum and read about using Shell Rotella synthetic in the Warrior. Everyone seemed to agree it was a great oil for the Warrior. So I used it exclusively in the Warrior. Never had any problems or strange noises.

When I changed the break in oil on the CB1100, I had 4 qts of Suzuki 10w40 laying around and used them in the CB. I've only put about a thousand miles on it since, have had no weird noises, but read on this forum about the dangers of using 10w40 conventional oil. So I thought it prudent to put 10w30 in it.

I live in a rural area far from MC dealers and went online to order some 10w30 motorcycle oil. I discovered it isn't easy to find 10w30 motorcycle oils. Anyway I was wondering if anyone ran Shell 5w40 in their CB. If you do, do you hear those dreaded noises some guys talk about?

Having owned more than a few bikes in my time I've read quite a few oil threads and quite a lot of info about motorcycle oils. So I know 10w40 oill breaks down to 10w25 in about 1500 miles, and was just wondering what you guys thought about using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40? It's made for diesel engines and is safe for wet clutches on motorcycles.

Walmart sells Shell Rotella and there is a Walmart ten miles from home. Any thoughts?
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
That is what I'm trying to determine. If using 10w40 is okay. 10w40 motorcycle oil is almost universally available. While searching for 10w30 motorcycle oil I was rather surprised to learn it's actually not a very big seller. Not many places outside of a Honda dealer carries it.

I've got 10w40 in my CB now. If that is fine that is what I'll use. I can get that anywhere. How long have you been using the 10w40? Ever hear the strange noises other guys talk about?
Why don't you just use the recommended oil? 10w40 is perfectly acceptable for most temperature ranges, the chart in the owner's manual shows this. Why use diesel engine oil? How could it somehow be better than the oil designed for the bike and specified in the documentation?

I have been using 10W40 oil - either Honda or an equal - nearly from the beginning. I ride the bike like a sportbike (which it is, according to Honda), shifting at 8000 RPM quite often. I just performed the 8K mile valve inspection and all the valves were exactly in specification.
That is what I'm trying to determine. If using 10w40 is okay. 10w40 motorcycle oil is almost universally available. While searching for 10w30 motorcycle oil I was rather surprised to learn it's actually not a very big seller. Not many places outside of a Honda dealer carries it.

I've got 10w40 in my CB now. If that is fine that is what I'll use. I can get that anywhere. How long have you been using the 10w40? Ever hear the strange noises other guys talk about? I've been using 10W40 for decades. If you look in any owner's manual you will see a range of specification for the use of any particular grade of motor, along with the application. It usually looks like a long arrow pointing to the right. You'll see 10W40 there listed as acceptable for a certain temperature range. If you ride in an area where the climate is similar, use the specified grade with confidence. JASO-MA is what you want for motorcycles, and I know recently that the diesel oils have been certified JASO-MA, but - in the past - those oils caused clutch issues, and Yamaha, for one, forbade their use in its motorcycles specifically in the owner's manuals.

Are they okay? Probably, especially if changed frequently. But that defeats the entire purpose of the diesel oils, as they are considered a high-mileage oil and also have a complement of additives meant to address specific issues with diesel engines.

As far as strange noises, that is mostly imaginary. All engines make noises, especially air-cooled engines with no water jacket and dual cams. The balancer shaft in the CB1100 is notoriously responsible for many a sleepless night for worrisome types. If anything, the 10W40 would quiet the engine a bit at idle once warmed but I have read posts reporting the opposite. Wear earplugs and ride with confidence your motor is not about to blow. Has anyone ever even heard of a CB1100 motor blowing or failing? I had one of the first in the USA, I've not heard of this yet. (Maybe the member who used an aftermarket oil filter and had all the oil leak out was a candidate, but apparently his engine survived. I also recommend the OEM oil filter, oddly enough).

I ride mine like a racebike, all 80-odd HP on tap. The engine is in perfect working order on Honda oil, as I said, I inspected it myself, as I have done for over 30 years with all my motorcycles.

Airplane oil is for airplanes. Truck oil is for trucks. Motorcycle oil is for motorcycles.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your input fella's. I assumed 10w40 was fine otherwise I would have never used it. However after reading a few posts about weird noises blamed on 10w40, I just wanted to see what others had to say.
 
I've been using the Shell Rotella T6 synthetic because it's a good quality oil that is safe for wet clutches and at Wally World it's about half the price of the Honda oil.

Bike runs and shifts perfect and no strange sounds other than the normal thrashings of an air cooled motor.
 
I got 10w 30 at Cycle Gear. I'd imagine they will ship it to you from their catalogue.
 
Rotella is awesome oil. They finally bothered to get it JASO MA certified now too -- even though it was common knowledge it was fine for bike for years.
 
I've been using Rotella T6 since the 600 mile oil change with no issues in 15K miles. Been using it even longer in the CB750. The oil analysis reports show that it holds up quite well to the shear and extreme heat conditions around here.
 
Honestly I'm all for saving money, but i don't think services are where you do it. I only put on about 5k a year so I do one service at the beginning of the season. Looking back at my records shows I paid $7.99 a qt for HP4 SJ synthetic blend and $9.99 for a Mobil 1 M-108 filter. Completely worth a cost of $42 for the year

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
capttwb136_imp said:
First of all I'm not trying to start another never ending oil thread. When I bought a Yamaha Star Warrior some years I joined the Star Warrior Forum and read about using Shell Rotella synthetic in the Warrior. Everyone seemed to agree it was a great oil for the Warrior. So I used it exclusively in the Warrior. Never had any problems or strange noises.

When I changed the break in oil on the CB1100, I had 4 qts of Suzuki 10w40 laying around and used them in the CB. I've only put about a thousand miles on it since, have had no weird noises, but read on this forum about the dangers of using 10w40 conventional oil. So I thought it prudent to put 10w30 in it.

I live in a rural area far from MC dealers and went online to order some 10w30 motorcycle oil. I discovered it isn't easy to find 10w30 motorcycle oils. Anyway I was wondering if anyone ran Shell 5w40 in their CB. If you do, do you hear those dreaded noises some guys talk about?

Having owned more than a few bikes in my time I've read quite a few oil threads and quite a lot of info about motorcycle oils. So I know 10w40 oill breaks down to 10w25 in about 1500 miles, and was just wondering what you guys thought about using Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40? It's made for diesel engines and is safe for wet clutches on motorcycles.

Walmart sells Shell Rotella and there is a Walmart ten miles from home. Any thoughts?
Why do all long oil threads seem to start that way? ;)

One thing is for sure: You are going to get a lot of "thoughts"...
 
I've used T6 5w-40 in a VFR for years but it made the CB a little noisy. So I just use the standard Honda 10w-30 - GN4 I think. Not much different in price anyway. Still use the PureOne filters even though Ferret doesn't like the color.
 
I've used 10W-40 in my CB for 45000+ kms with no problems at all.
 
Yeah, but you didn't use the wrong color filter. Makes ALL the difference :P
 
Back
Top