Seven days and four states

Max, interesting observation. I checked mine and the cast writing is on the left side too.

The service manual shows that the rotors have a direction arrow. It is by one of the rotor mounting bolts. I looked at mine and it is easy to see. And is the easy way to see if the wheel is on correctly (if it can even be put on reversed).

In any case, look at the rotor arrows!
 
Thanks Popgun, i completely missed the rotor arrows:s

That is a good find and a great deal better than my text story!
 
Thread starter
This has to be my favorite vehicle forum EVER! :heart::heart::heart:

Sure enough, wheel is on backwards ...

35ae32a1503720d3f9ce10ac50b5df4c.jpg


Honda of the Ozarks called and is paying my local Honda shop to install it correctly. So this headache is almost over ...

It's been on there for 3000 miles. My tire install guy says it's not a biggie on dry but affects water channeling when wet.

Here's my tire install guy's site ... giving him a shoutout:

RSP Mobile Motorcycle Tire Service, Repair, Dallas, DFW, Bike, Automotive, Metro
 
And now we know the wheel can be installed backwards :s

I wonder if the back wheel can be installed backwards? :P :D

Glad you figured out the problem. At least it is an easy fix.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And now we know the wheel can be installed backwards :s

I wonder if the back wheel can be installed backwards? :P :D

Glad you figured out the problem. At least it is an easy fix.
I wonder if this will affect the rotor wear? Hmmm ... :huh:
 
I doubt it. Ride more, worry less.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And now we know the wheel can be installed backwards :s

I wonder if the back wheel can be installed backwards? :P :D

Glad you figured out the problem. At least it is an easy fix.
I did that (and posted about it somewhere on the site). My first PR3 front tire was mounted off bike. When I took it home and mounted it, I just assumed that the angle of the tread pattern should be pointing forward. Months (and a few thousand miles) later, I parked next to a bike at work with a PR3 front and the tread pattern was the other way around. I initially assumed his tire was on backwards, but I did bother to look at the arrow and realized that mine was. I never noticed any difference in handling or braking while it was on backwards. It only took about 20 min. to flip the wheel around to the proper orientation.

BTW, I can't remember who it was, but at the '17 West Coast Rally I spotted a backwardly mounted PR3 on one of the attending CBs. With it's weird tread pattern, it's an easy mistake to make.

This is what a correctly mounted PR3 looks like

83be45f76e422e7a44896606dc35637d.jpg
 
So if you put the tire on backwards and then mounted the wheel backwards, would it be right again? lol
 
Hey Ferret, not for you!! Your pulser ring would be on the wrong side. :)
 
Thread starter
Actually I thought the incorrect tread direction looked too "modern" for this bike. I'm just waiting for the local Honda dealer (and the stormy weather) to have an opening to reverse the mounting. And send Honda Ozarks the bill.
 
When I first read the story of the wheel being on back to front, I was pretty sure my front wheel had an arrow on it indicating the direction of travel. I finally got around to having a look this morning. This is on the right hand side of the wheel.

 
Yes. I’ll be interested to see whether the arrow on the wheel remained on later models. I also have one on the rotor.
 
Cormanus, that arrow is on my 2013 US model, right side like yours. Never noticed it before. Never looked for it either :)
 
Thanks, popgun.
 
Thread starter
All better now. :D Maxim Honda offered to do it off the books for $20, but I figured Honda Ozarks would need paperwork for reimbursement, so $41.16.

52f1b67ef0e3ff2eeab2fb19819036c4.jpg
 
zbillster_imp said:
All better now. :D Maxim Honda offered to do it off the books for $20, but I figured Honda Ozarks would need paperwork for reimbursement, so $41.16.

52f1b67ef0e3ff2eeab2fb19819036c4.jpg
Is this a pic of the WRONG tyre fitment? If not, it looks wrong to me...
The sipes (grooves for water dispersal) should squeegee the water to the edge of the tyre as it rotates. This looks as though it would gather water from the EDGE of the tyre and force it to the middle...

I've got a picture of my front tyre on a brand new 'bike and the sipes are exactly opposite. (Sorry about poor quality - I've blown it up from a poor camera phone pic)

512266a60d20d5b55b352e4d9f514eac.jpg
 
They are on correct Brazbo. It looks wrong, but it is not. Other sited have people scratching their heads too.

But according to Michelin, the tires are directional and the arrow points in the direction of rotation. One of the bike magazines even had a thing on it a while back. It explained the water shedding too. Can’t find it though.
 
Back
Top