Seven days and four states

zbillster_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I haven't been a photo posting hog in a while ... busy with a big work project, and then it was time to take some time off and ... RIDE!

Was waiting for a clear weather report after much rain and storms down here in Texas ... finally saw an opening in September 14th, so loaded up my top case, put my work email on vacation autoreply, and hit the pavement.

b911c65e9bfc206c30010b4b6064e137.jpg


Starting in McKinney, Texas ... my usual country route to Heavener, Oklahoma, going through Van Alstyne, Whitewright, Monkstown, Direct, Arthur City, and then across the Red River to Oklahoma ... Hugo, Antlers, Clayton and the Talimena Scenic Drive.

5317cce3c7dd14dc5cf4db9607cd5676.jpg


I made it to Heavener in time for the all-you-can-eat catfish night at the Southern Belle, a restaurant railcar. Highly recommended, along with the Green Country Inn right across the street.

9ed29bd79cf0279d309329c64ba3860e.jpg


ecaa76a9e7189c56f496494fe1a5649d.jpg


Didn't sleep well, so road out early through the mist and fog on 128 east, a lovely road ...

3b3c271820c9d4efec7b1e2501664e4c.jpg


a4bc84cbfb0be72cde391ce8bf8a693e.jpg


... to hook up with 71 to 23 north to Eureka Springs, and the famous Pig Trail. My favorite motel with retro 70s waterbeds and jacuzzi tubs was closed (sad panda) but Priceline'd a deal at the Apple Blossom Inn, which had a lovely view out the window into the woods behind it.

6d1275cb0e471c1fcea3dfc940b7020b.jpg


Some locals came over for dinner behind the hotel ...

233188d8db891d14355db710b42cd11d.jpg


The Eureka Springs area, for those not familiar, is an automotive playground, with lots of twisty roads and beautiful scenery, along with a very European historic downtown area.

55efc4a550b5c376e9ddc09e919a86ca.jpg


Many car and bike clubs hold meets there (including, at least once, this one). The infamous 23 tends to get a bit crowded, so I like to play around on 21, 16 and 123 instead. I did this one route in a day ...

a83c2f876e82f7ccfbe9de99e4348190.jpg


With tags in Missouri and Arkansas borders ...

cba9c604f161abac321ed6d34f1bfa96.jpg


70cc5ade05701e61bd800aa89d9bea8a.jpg


Apparently Eureka Springs is popular with Shaggy and Scooby Doo ...

cc708fed59d7927116a9e14d9782890a.jpg


Eureka Springs attracts some other celebrities. She wanted to ride on the back, but insisted on juggling her infant along the way, so I turned her down.

86de525e172a82ab5fe7eed590963e22.jpg


Continued on next post ...
This funky old motorcycle shop is apparently for sale. Lots of interesting parts inside, and great service reviews on social media.

7f04c013e8f302d372c57bd637f0e4cb.jpg


My Bridgestone front tire was hitting the wear marks at 5000 miles, but unfortunately they didn't have anything that fit in stock. Some calling around lead me to this Honda dealer in Springfield, Missouri (they were open on a Monday unlike most shops) ... highly recommended ... they had a Dunlop in my size in stock, and did the installation in 45 minutes while I waited for a very reasonable price. Very friendly folks, very clean shop, nice waiting area.

df34238c60c6b335c43f42d0c69a7538.jpg


693cb958bb884f65325faf37b584471b.jpg


I stopped by Branson, Missouri along the way (aka The Flyover Vegas) ... did the Toy Museum, and found yet another Shaggy van ...

5282c771a7a29177e939a2dec9627d78.jpg


It was getting hot and humid, so I took a break underground for a cheesy and overpriced cave tour ...

36da4193e6fb26f1d42bf258a6e1548b.jpg


After my tire install, I took 125 just east of Missouri south back to Arkansas ... a very fun, twisty road with barely any traffic. Plus you get a free ferry ride across the border to Arkansas.

594b33f5e5fc10c9feebd157399cddcd.jpg


Apparently a private charter ... no other vehicles were going across at the time ...

2d600459414ef5b888a49343fe7a090b.jpg


I ended up following 14 southeast, then hooking up to 5, and made my way to a cheap Priceline motel in Jacksonville, so I could meet a client for a free lunch in Little Rock. With some stops for pictures ...

df444fd21009ab946d1f96e7ab471138.jpg


b60a3d9b735b8f06c750b4c46cc1806d.jpg


e773b083f6da6f2c96344458f63cbd54.jpg


2b6c66562052e2d4fbb2ca312b1fa1c9.jpg


Unfortunately, the good weather wasn't going to last ... so I had two days to high-tail it home. The client let me stay in a very swank lakehouse owned by her family on the west side of Hot Springs, so I flopped there before the last leg home.

From Little Rock I took 5 at Benton to 7, to 70 through Hot Springs (kinda touristy and too hot to walk around much), then in the morning I found 227 and 270 (break in Crystal Springs) then 27 to 8 back through Talimena Scenic Drive which I blasted through (empty except for an old Model T going the other way) ... then I stopped at the Choctaw nation capital for a little museum tour (I was the lone visitor) ...

e26d73bdc14ae48a576e28b9f6662b82.jpg


... and pretty much made it back home through Texas the way I came.

f48d25d2352cca5e5a67a8cc605d61df.jpg


Had to stop for 30 minutes in a gas station while a thunderstorm passed, but made it home somewhat dry. About 1800 miles total. Wish it could have gone longer, but maybe someday ...

Oh, and I lost count of how many times I had to answer the question, "What year is that bike?" :D It received lots and lots of compliments.
 
I agree with Longranger, great trip and pics.

Lasy year ( or year before) we had the eastern CB rally in Hot Springs. SOme awesome ridingmaround there.
 
Very nice thanks for sharing. On most my rides I never make time for the pictures to into riding. And I have a go pro I never use I’ll try hooking it up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
dsan1964_imp said:
Very nice thanks for sharing. On most my rides I never make time for the pictures to into riding. And I have a go pro I never use I’ll try hooking it up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks to all for the compliments! :thumbsup:

Ironically, I wasn't focusing on taking pictures during this trip ... I left the GoPro knockoff behind (which I regret a bit now -- some very exciting winding roads that would have made for good video) and though I had my little Canon Powershot strapped to my belt, I barely used it.

Almost all these pics are off my Samsung phone, which I uploaded to Facebook along the way as "proof of life" and to entertain my friends. (I sort of became a "like" addict.)

And all were taken during my regular stops ... for dead bug removal, sunscreen reapplication, fuel, bathroom, food, cold drinks (it got up to 98 degrees on some days) and, it being allergy season for me, eye drops and eyelid wipes for my swelling and itchy tear ducts.

There were a lot of times I would see something and think "Ooooh, that would make a great pic!" but then I didn't want to risk losing the clear road ahead of me and end up stuck behind a slow Winnebago. Or to take the pic I'd have to stop on gravel or a slope not conducive to kickstands. So I just kept on the throttle.

Turns out the Canon got most of its use inside the Toy Museum in Branson. But low light made for not-great pics.

I am disappointed about the rain hitting Friday ... it was supposed to be a 10-day trip, but I kept seeing the impending storm forecasts, so had to cut it short.
Here are some B-roll pics:

Southern Belle dining car restaurant background articles. Click for legible size:

a27ffc9f2c4a6f83bf97b07833d1cabb.jpg


c0c2ad6378a9ca5ae8a8ca1691dc86e8.jpg


Cleared with the legal department, I guess? Marshall, Arkansas:

b05d44d687e904cafd3b0749176ae1ab.jpg


I do stop for antique stores ... like free museums. Occasionally they have things that catch a man's interest:

2707a503e352d7cfd9b1c06cc1f42ab8.jpg


9fe63486ce579047383c4f43aa0114a8.jpg


6c217cc6142b5cbe107fde30d8cf80a0.jpg


Some inventory pictures from that Eureka Springs motorcycle shop:

ca9e3e0581ae3b127fd836e1e8def71c.jpg


e89f0b4681a1243faa9b2e2e93b468e3.jpg


The porch view from my client's lakehouse in the morning:

cbe67fa310cd4d3f400dc1275fe84af2.jpg


Choctaw museum item: they believed if you wore certain parts of animals, you would get their strengths and speed:

07c95365adc8c1e2ef746f91ac0e9e09.jpg


The Springfield Honda shop had the new CB1000R in stock:

3b1108c6238b65a80e1149e8dba84b36.jpg

Some Branson toy museum pics:

Soviet G.I. Joe ... or Ivan?

4d3a123dc4c884232b1f9cd04c026737.jpg


I remember these ... my uncle worked for American Airlines back in the 1960s:

dccac64e53ed4bcc5ab7ef17aabb392d.jpg


They had a large airgun history section. Which reminded me of the Daisy museum in Rogers, Arkansas, but including other manufacturers:

66215e17705d230335e25835e794b6e5.jpg


Toy motorcycles:

476559872516c1bf3c5da17d867a26b0.jpg


Board games:

1a239dc09131ce82ba5bb7ee7a4cfc85.jpg
 
Great photos, zbillster. Thanks for sharing.
 
Looks like a great trip! Excellent pics.

I must say, I'm amazed that you were able to find a front tire and get it mounted quickly while on the road. I've had to do this a couple of times and each time it cost me a whole day trying to find a shop with the right size tire that was willing to mount it while I waited.
 
Ok, I'm a little perturbed by this post.

How is possible that despite being on the look out my entire life to no avail, I have not seen a single Scooby Doo Mystery Machine and yet you see TWO on the same trip no less?

I cry foul good sir.
 
Thread starter
Banned_imp said:
Ok, I'm a little perturbed by this post.

How is possible that despite being on the look out my entire life to no avail, I have not seen a single Scooby Doo Mystery Machine and yet you see TWO on the same trip no less?

I cry foul good sir.
Yeah, that was freaky. :D
Flynrider_imp said:
Looks like a great trip! Excellent pics.

I must say, I'm amazed that you were able to find a front tire and get it mounted quickly while on the road. I've had to do this a couple of times and each time it cost me a whole day trying to find a shop with the right size tire that was willing to mount it while I waited.
Yeah, I got lucky ... I used Google maps on my smartphone on a Sunday night, searched for "motorcycle shops" in the Eureka Springs area ... I knew because I needed an uncommon 18" tubeless radial my best bet would be a Honda dealer, and I knew that most shops won't mount it on the bike. I wrote down a list of a half dozen motorcycle shops and started with the one in Springfield because it was open on Monday (most shops are closed). They had the one tire in stock, and held it for me.

There was another Honda dealer in nearby Rogers or Springdale but opening Tuesday. If I was really desperate, I could find more shops in Little Rock. Luckily there's a lot of motorcyclists around here, so supply is meeting demand for motorcycle service.

My Plan B and C were:
1. Order one off Amazon or another retailer and have it shipped to a hotel.
2. Head back home early before the rain predictions got worse.

The 39 Cycles shop in Eureka Springs (pictured above) I was pretty confident would mount it same day for a good price. They didn't have a tire my size in stock (I think the ratio was off and bias ply).

Next time I'll be checking my tire wear more carefully before I leave. :rolleyes:
 
Brawny. I'm glad you resurrected this. Somehow I missed it on the first go around and I really enjoyed reading this ride report.
 
Thread starter
So was having my mobile tire guy install a new rear ... and he warned me that Honda of the Ozarks put the front tire on backwards. :(

Directional arrows facing wrong way. I emailed Honda of the Ozarks and Honda Corporate to see if they will compensate me for having a local shop reinstall it.

7647b25085c9cf3b5a9613d602e0a805.jpg


31f78c56a972017dec7222918196f0d5.jpg
 
:rofl: :blush: Geesh, you have to laugh (and shake your head).

How many miles did you put on it like that?
 
Zbillster, mate, from the picture it seems the front wheel is "reversed", could have happened whilst the wheel was mounted in the shop, the writing on the casting is on the left-hand side on my wheel and on your picture it appears to have no writing on the left hand side of the wheel, my wheel has writing on the left and no writing on the right hand side, nice find from your tire guy and could be an easy fix.

My cb919 has arrows on the alu casting and is non-reversible so i started looking for arrows on the cb1100 wheel but could not find any but found the writing only on one ( the left hand ) side, it could mean that the wheel is therefore reversible:cool:

Maybe have a look at this and compare with any earlier pictures you may have taken?
Tried to find text on the "arkansas" picture but it appears plain as best as i can tell with the resolution magnified.

Some seriously good trip description though, full marks to you!
 
Back
Top