Selling the Honda...

+1 You probably did a better job of explaining the difference than I did. Of course it is still a matter of individual preference, different strokes for different folks.
 
Thread starter
I have a hard time riding her CTX...can't find the pegs when I start from a stop. It's also harder on my back. I almost had her on a lowered BMW GS, but they're crazy expensive for us. I think she'd be more comfortable being more upright on long trips, but meh...not going to argue that with her. She may come 'round and try the mid-controls on the Speedmaster since I think they're a bit more forward than on the CB1100...so more like the seating position on a Goldwing....sort of.
 
With forward controls, I don’t experience any of the reduction in balance and control being described or postulated. You’re more “in” the bike than “on top” of it, so you feel cradled and secure. But like any bike, when the peg scrapers touch down, anxiety rises and puckering is initiated.

I think any sense of reduced low-speed stability is due to the increased rake angle of cruiser-type bikes. The front wheel feels more like it wants to flop over so you have to put more muscle on the bars to keep it under control.

A nice perq of forward controls with pegs (sans floor boards): nothing in the way of your feet and legs at stop lights. Clear all the way to the ground.

I’m equally comfortable and proficient with either configuration.
 
My biggest beef with forward controls is my heels scrape the ground, not the pegs in extreme turns. Other than air blowin' up the legs (depending on foot wear), the rider should know their bike and its limitations.

LR brings up a good point about standing up. I was thinking in particular when managing potholes. I recall some cases being a bit of a drag on the handlebars.
 
Thread starter
We're in the final negotiation stages and by "We" I mean "Cheryl" as this is her bike and her deal. She gets rightfully indignant when bike salesmen assume that she either doesn't ride or only rides on my passenger seat so I would not think of injecting myself in this process. And by "final stages" she's asked that if they can't do anything more on the price, if they could toss in a Triumph leather jacket to sweeten the deal. We'll know more tomorrow, but it's looking good so far.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
My biggest beef with forward controls is my heels scrape the ground, not the pegs in extreme turns. Other than air blowin' up the legs (depending on foot wear), the rider should know their bike and its limitations.

LR brings up a good point about standing up. I was thinking in particular when managing potholes. I recall some cases being a bit of a drag on the handlebars.
Ideally, boot position is different.

Mid controls = balls of feet on pegs

Forward controls = rearmost arch of feet on pegs

Heels shouldn't scrape when boots are located in the latter position and kept close to the transmission. That being said, I still feel an urge to lift the inside foot off the peg a little while its dragging. I do the same with mid controls...need more training under fire to steady the nerves.

GoldOxide_imp said:
My biggest beef with forward controls is my heels scrape the ground, not the pegs in extreme turns. Other than air blowin' up the legs (depending on foot wear), the rider should know their bike and its limitations.

LR brings up a good point about standing up. I was thinking in particular when managing potholes. I recall some cases being a bit of a drag on the handlebars.
On my T-bird, I'm running with about 10 mm edge strips remaining on the rear tire when the peg feelers touch down. Actually that's about the same as my F800GT when I was tossing it around and dragging its (lowered) pegs.

GoldOxide_imp said:
My biggest beef with forward controls is my heels scrape the ground, not the pegs in extreme turns. Other than air blowin' up the legs (depending on foot wear), the rider should know their bike and its limitations.

LR brings up a good point about standing up. I was thinking in particular when managing potholes. I recall some cases being a bit of a drag on the handlebars.
Nobody stands up with forward controls. But you can get your bum off the seat to avoid a jolt. Hard if you're tall, easy if you're short.
EmptySea_imp said:
We're in the final negotiation stages and by "We" I mean "Cheryl" as this is her bike and her deal. She gets rightfully indignant when bike salesmen assume that she either doesn't ride or only rides on my passenger seat so I would not think of injecting myself in this process. And by "final stages" she's asked that if they can't do anything more on the price, if they could toss in a Triumph leather jacket to sweeten the deal. We'll know more tomorrow, but it's looking good so far.
In your area, the strongest negotiation tactic would be "I'm going to see what other Triumph dealers can do on this bike."
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I have a hard time riding her CTX...can't find the pegs when I start from a stop. It's also harder on my back. I almost had her on a lowered BMW GS, but they're crazy expensive for us. I think she'd be more comfortable being more upright on long trips, but meh...not going to argue that with her. She may come 'round and try the mid-controls on the Speedmaster since I think they're a bit more forward than on the CB1100...so more like the seating position on a Goldwing....sort of.
Speaking of Goldwings.

This is not the clearest one but listen to the camera bike scraping pegs!


This one is much clearer.

!
I read he eventually crashes, leading a group faster than he would on his own, hit some sand....as ferret says....ride your own ride
 
Thread starter
Picked up the new bike today. What a beautiful day it turned out to be.

As promised, a picture...





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Picked up the new bike today. What a beautiful day it turned out to be.

As promised, a picture...





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice Triumph! That windshield looks like it should provide a lot of protection.
 
Lovely! :thumbsup: Look forward to a vicarious report from Cheryl.
 
Lovely retro 'lookers' those Triumphs.
The FI looks like an Amal carb, the gearbox looks like a separate item and the tank is just gorgeous.
I don't like how they've turned them almost into 'choppers' but recognise that a lot of people in the US do. Me? I'm a traditionalist! :)
 
Sharp!!
4550678656562b6862790daae7d86464.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The lean angle on her CTX wasn’t an issue for her on US129 or in Arkansas. I can’t imagine that the Speedmaster’s lean angle is less than the CTX’s, but she’ll test it a little on Saturday, weather permitting.
I went from CTX700 to CB1100, she doesn't know what she's missing! All my friends that have mid controls when we hit the twisties I have to stop sometimes in a straight area and wait for them. Sometimes I get nervous that they've crashed, they're so far behind.
Stichill_imp said:
With forward controls, I don’t experience any of the reduction in balance and control being described or postulated. You’re more “in” the bike than “on top” of it, so you feel cradled and secure. But like any bike, when the peg scrapers touch down, anxiety rises and puckering is initiated.

I think any sense of reduced low-speed stability is due to the increased rake angle of cruiser-type bikes. The front wheel feels more like it wants to flop over so you have to put more muscle on the bars to keep it under control.

A nice perq of forward controls with pegs (sans floor boards): nothing in the way of your feet and legs at stop lights. Clear all the way to the ground.

I’m equally comfortable and proficient with either configuration.
I can attest to adverse balance of the bike. My CB1100 came with Highway Pegs initially. On a very long ride I decided to test them for a few moments. It really changed the balance of the bike and made me feel very unstable. They came off shortly after that and I have no interest in replacing them. Even for a few moments just to get some rest/relief/adjustment having my feet forward of the engine on the CB was not worth it.
 
Thread starter
I suppose you are correct that she doesn't know what she's missing by avoiding the mid-controls and I think you mis-typed or I misread that your friends have mid-controls (you meant forward controls, right?). Regardless, I suspect her response to "They'll help you go faster" will be "I don't want to go any faster"
 
Back
Top