Selling my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe

EGAlvarez_imp said:
I think you would be nuts to sell that bike for $8500...There are less than 500 of them in the country, some will be crashed, others left outside to the elements, abused or butchered into cafe or "customs". If Honda never brings them back, I predict that pristine deluxe models will hold their value well.
Just look at the Transalp, Hawk GT, CB-1, RC30, CBX, GB500, CT500 Turbo, and many other "weird, obscure" Hondas that were showroom failures in the U.S. and 20 years later are still selling for a large percentage, or much more, than their original MSRP.

Look how many here have mentioned looking for one or regret not getting one over the standard. I feel lucky to have found mine in like new condition.
I think your point is valid but my gut tells me it may not be the case with the CB1100, simply because the bike mostly appeals to older riders seeking to recapture the vibe of the '70's and '80's (generalizing here), not to younger riders who have no connection to those times. In 20 years, those same older motorcyclists may no longer be buying bikes. The bikes you mentioned appealed to younger riders when they were first introduced, the same folks who are collecting them today, 20 years later. Again, I'm generalizing. Anyone here want to buy a mint '49 Ford Woody? I didn't think so. That's a car our fathers and grandfathers were nuts about, not us.
 
jay4252_imp said:
Thank you everybody. I'm in Orlando, FL. I am thinking $8900 since I only have 1200 miles and don't ride much. What do you guys think? I think I need at least 25 posts before I can post in classifieds. Thanks again.
PM incoming
 
I showed my bike when it was new to a younger guy that I rode with. He's about 26 years old and didn't even raise an eyebrow when he saw it. He said its ok but not for him. I put the slip on exhaust on and he said he didnt even think a bike like this could sound like that. Zero enthusiasm. None at all.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I showed my bike when it was new to a younger guy that I rode with. He's about 26 years old and didn't even raise an eyebrow when he saw it. He said its ok but not for him. I put the slip on exhaust on and he said he didnt even think a bike like this could sound like that. Zero enthusiasm. None at all.
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land.
 
Thread starter
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the replies. My wife thinks I should sell since she is more concerned since my surgery. Should I go the ebay route or the craigslist route? Thanks again
 
jay4252_imp said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the replies. My wife thinks I should sell since she is more concerned since my surgery. Should I go the ebay route or the craigslist route? Thanks again
On ebay you will have to pay a fee and craigslist beware of scammers. Either way is OK but dont let anyone scam you. Get cash in hand before you turn over keys or title. Dont fall for any western union check wire scams and dont ship bike to anyone unless your paid first and everything clears.
If you have never sold anything on either one make sure you get help from someone who knows what they are doing. If you sell on craigslist make sure your never alone while doing a transaction. I never have anyone I dont know come to my residence when I sell smaller items. I just meet them at a local public place like Dunkin Donuts or somewhere where their are people and cameras all around. Selling a motorcycle is tougher because sometimes you have no choice but to invite them over, just do it with company. Cash in hand if you let them test ride it.
 
If you must sell, I strongly recommend eBay. You'll cast a much wider net than Craigslist and you'll most likely command a better price, even after fees, plus it's likely you won't have to deal with the buyer face-to-face. They can make their own arrangements to have the bike picked up and shipped upon your satisfaction that their funds are good. Set a reasonable reserve price on your eBay listing to protect yourself and insist on cleared funds before you release the bike.
 
There was a 2014 Deluxe for sale earlier this year in Vermont. Like new, about 1000 miles, with a bunch of nice extras (e.g. Corbin seat) for $8500. The mystery was why it was not snapped up by a forum member, considering all the attention the Deluxes seem to get. It ended up selling on ebay. I should have gotten it, but I just could not get comfortable buying "cross-country" and dealing with shipping If it had been an ABS Standard, I might have jumped, as I'd really prefer 4-into-1 exhaust. That said, I feel like that Deluxe was "one that got away."
 
If you can't sell it here, I too recommend ebay. If it is going to sell it will sell there. Don't give up if it doesn't sell, try again. Stay near the NADA value. Good luck.
 
You can do an "advanced" search on ebay for completed sales. Put "CB1100" in the keyword box and put a check in the box for "sold listings"...that Vermont bike will come up, but the other sold listings are for Standards.
 
Thread starter
Thank you, Just saw the completed listing on ebay nice bike
I think i will ask $8500.00 or should i put $8500 or best offer
Thanks
 
You can set up your posting as a "Buy it now" at $8500, but also allow offers. You can accept or reject any offer as you see fit. If the bike sells, or if you accept an offer, you will be contractually bound to complete the sale.

If this is your first eBay listing, it would be advantageous to have someone you know with an eBay history and superior rating to list it on your behalf. Be sure to post a lot of flattering photos. Presentation and detail is key.
 
I would list it with your absolute lowest price that you would take as the reserve. If you list with best offer, you will get a bunch of low ball offers. If it doesn't sell at your reserve, you can keep relisting it. Good luck
And there is nothing saying you can list on Craigslist and eBay at the same time. You can put on eBay with or best offer, but set your asking price higher.
 
I'd go Craigslist...if you are new to ebay that will hurt you as you have no feedbacks or seller rating, so lower buyer confidence. You can start your auction at penny with no reserve and you will normally get market value. But Craigslist has always worked for me, take good pics, describe accurately and with some enthusiasm don't be lazy...you will be fine.
 
I'd recommend staying off eBay as well, if for no other reason than to avoid seller fees (and possibly PayPal fees if you intend to do anything other than local pickup).

eBay Motors Fee and Profit Calculator

These bikes are rare and popular enough than I can't see it being hard to sell within the reach of Craigslist.
 
Cycletrader.com is free for a couple week ad. Try it and CL. CL is a haven for scammers so beware. eBay/paypal are very expensive to use.
 
I can't believe that someone lurking on this site who desires a CB, or a current standard owner looking to upgrade, hasn't stepped up and offered you $8500 and kept you from all the hassle of listing it on eBay...
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
I can't believe that someone lurking on this site who desires a CB, or a current standard owner looking to upgrade, hasn't stepped up and offered you $8500 and kept you from all the hassle of listing it on eBay...
I think a lot of the issue there is distance. I'd buy it, but I live in the Midwest and can't afford to ship it, and it's getting too cold up here for any kind of long distance roadtrip.

Plus I need the trade in value of my other bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top