Selling a special, should I split it?

Thread starter
I'm toying with the idea of selling my CB. I never thought I would, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much cash on it! ;-) but I think I might.

It's a CB1100EX with a White House K10 Kit, low bars, single Over Silencer on cat free Arrow Headers. It has a flashed ECU with the Air Intake Mod, a PCv and Hepco Becker rear carrier. There are all the Std bits that I removed plus a K10 Low Seat and some Enlarged Air Funnels I never fitted. I'm sure if i thought hard there are other bits too...

Well, this isn't the Ad, and sorry it you think this is in the wrong topic, but I'm in two minds what to do with it. Put it back to Std. and split all the custom bits or sell it as a whole. More hassle to sell all the bits individually but I think there will be a limited market for a complete bike. I know most people like to build their own and to their own taste.

I'm going to photograph her as she is now. So I have a record of it at least. But wondering after that if I should put it back to std and re-photograph. People usually like pics of the bike they're getting.

There is also part of me that wants to keep the K10 bit and power goodies for a future project.... ah, choices, choices.

Just wondered what other peoples experience has been of selling their customized specials? Also, any suggestion for good selling sites for non std bikes?

Best
Kev
 
I think there are at least two types of customer: One who will only consider a bike in stock, OE condition, and another who is attracted to customs and will be willing to pay up. In my experience, the first group outnumbers the second. I think stock bikes are easier to sell and tend to hold their value better. Accessories and customization often don't command much premium to the buyer, regardless of their appeal to the seller. That being said, the used bike market in the UK might be completely different.
 
I concur with LongRanger regarding stock vs custom, I'd set her back to stock condition if it were me. And I also agree as to my not knowing what the motorcycle market is like in the UK.

Maybe some UK members will weigh in with their thoughts.
 
The question, beardyweidy, is why?
 
I wonder what it would cost to ship it to New York? I've in the past sold a lot of dirt bikes and it was always better to put them back to stock and sell the extras separately.
 
Mike546_imp said:
I wonder what it would cost to ship it to New York? I've in the past sold a lot of dirt bikes and it was always better to put them back to stock and sell the extras separately.
I agree with Mike and others who recommended putting it back to stock. I love to customize motorcycles to my own taste, but have also learned that spending money on extras bring little or no additional value when selling the bike. :(
 
I've always either returned things to stock, or given buyers two options and two prices -- I. E., cheaper if back to stock or negotiate what mods they want me to leave on for a higher price.

I'd say that's probably the way to go here, but that said the K10 kit does make it desirable and relatively rare. If you're not in a rush, I'd almost fish with the thing modded out as it is. Just a gut feeling, but I can see someone impulsively falling in love with this and paying up more than most modified bikes.
 
Thread starter
All good points and I think your right Kmoney, I rekcon its worth floating as is, if it goes then great. If I get more desparate then I can put it back. I accept that I'm not going to get back what I paid for mods usually, but these are so expensive and as you say rare, and beautiful, is seems a shame to just let them go for a song.

It'll be an interesting project, pulling all the performance and weight saving parts off the bike in one hit. I'm interested how different it will feel when ridden almost back to back. I'll write it up.

Cormanus, as for why, well I test road an Africa Twin last week and I really liked it. It was a lot of fun on the back roads. I quite fancy getting on some dirt tracks as well. I also ride two up quite a bit and need to do a fair bit of motorway riding. So I think it will just suit me better. I'm always chopping and changing. I love the cb tho and think there will be another one in the future....
 
The Africa Twin sounds a good choice, although if I had to do lots of riding on your motorways I'd want something like an ST1300, I think.
 
I'm looking forward to swinging a leg over an AT and really hope the bike is well-received. I like the idea of a 1000cc twin, but even more so in sport-touring (not ADV) trim.
 
You are correct -- the Africa Twin is an ADV-styled bike. I'm just saying I think that'd be a neat engine configuration for a ST. On a separate note, I always wished Honda would have stuffed the VTR V-twin into a sport-touring bike. But now we're really getting off topic. My apologies.
 
Thread starter
Both would be lovely! And possibly one day.... But I really only have room for one bike on my small bit of London. The second bike would have to go in the street and where I live means the insurance companies won't cover it. Most want it garaged and some will except chained up on the property. I read in the national newspapers yesterday that my post code (zip code) has the highest incidence of robberies in the country! So untill the money fall right out of CB's I can't risk it on the street.

Also, I'm really getting quite interested in venturing off road... It's a new thing for me and I've always fancied it....
 
Back
Top