SDR200?

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The A-Man recently posted a link to an article featuring Honda's filing of a patent for a new type of kickstand. That was interesting, but as is so often the case, that wasn't the end of my visit to the VisorDown website. I was sidetracked by another article titled "Top 10 Interesting Yamahas You Might Not Know About".

One of the motorcycles highlighted in that article was the SDR200. It no doubt won't appeal to some, but I find this little bike to be stunningly beautiful. Whether it is riding a motorcycle or surfing the web, sometimes getting sidetracked and ending up on the path less traveled can prove to be most enjoyable.

 
That is quite beautiful. I nearly bought both a Yamaha SRX6 (SRX600S in the US) and a TRX 850, both of which I also find beautiful and really fun bikes to ride.
 
It's a great looking bike, isn't it?
 
That is a very pretty bike. I especially appreciate that it's a two-stroke.

The unobtanium bike that really floats my boat is the Honda CB50 Dream. They were made in the late '90's but never officially imported into the U.S. I have a CB50R (the "racing" version) but this streetable model is really attractive to me -- and totally impractical!

dda2762085004652c4a827bc51a9b615.jpg
 
LR I can probably find you one. I probably have a buddy that has one.
 
Guilty of getting carried away while surfing the web, next thing you know its 2AM lol, seems to be happening much more frequently due to this lockdown.

Bike is interesting, reminds me of the 80's-90's SRX600 but with a nicer, more Ducati Monster-ish frame. That one too, is a pretty rare bike.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
That is a very pretty bike. I especially appreciate that it's a two-stroke.

The unobtanium bike that really floats my boat is the Honda CB50 Dream. They were made in the late '90's but never officially imported into the U.S. I have a CB50R (the "racing" version) but this streetable model is really attractive to me -- and totally impractical!

dda2762085004652c4a827bc51a9b615.jpg
Do you know if any of those CB50 Dream's might have made their way to US Honda Dealers? I could swear that Honda of St John's that used to be located here in Portland had one of these in their showroom back when they were in business. More than likely it was the CB50R that you mention, but I thought for sure that it was a little street bike.
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Guilty of getting carried away while surfing the web, next thing you know its 2AM lol, seems to be happening much more frequently due to this lockdown.

Bike is interesting, reminds me of the 80's-90's SRX600 but with a nicer, more Ducati Monster-ish frame. That one too, is a pretty rare bike.
Very similar to my sentiments (and as alluded to by Henrik as well). I like the SRX600, but the frame on that bike wasn't exactly what I would call a thing of beauty. The chromed trellis frame on this SDR200 is indeed a thing a beauty. I'm not sure I've seen any on Ducati that could match it.
 
m in sc_imp said:
Ive seen a few, very few, of those sdrs in real life, very rare here, very desireable. basically a yamaha blaster motor lower end, they are very very light and very nimble. id kill for one. R1z is also a killer bike but a twin, closer related to a tdr.

local dealer owner had 3 of those honda 50s brought in, his son still has one, they sold the other 2 for a ton of $

Been a few decades since I played with stuff like that- but weren't all Blasters air cooled? If I am not mistaken, they were based off the IT200 engine.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
That is a very pretty bike. I especially appreciate that it's a two-stroke.

The unobtanium bike that really floats my boat is the Honda CB50 Dream. They were made in the late '90's but never officially imported into the U.S. I have a CB50R (the "racing" version) but this streetable model is really attractive to me -- and totally impractical!

dda2762085004652c4a827bc51a9b615.jpg
^^No doubt at all, gorgeous looking bike for sure!!!!

61e495fe2ce7bb6e6e0ec99cad4c1106.jpg

New In Box – 2004 Honda CB50R Dream
 
That crate brings back memories. I ordered my CB50R from the dealer with the express instructions to NOT start it or even put gas in it. Just take it out of the crate and deliver it to me. So that’s what he did. I have the bike on display inside my home. It’s never been ridden or even sat on. I kept the box in my basement but lost it when my water heater gave up and flooded my basement. Oh well.

I’ve seen several street-version CB50 Dreams for sale but they’re usually in the $10k neighborhood, which is a bit much considering I’d never actually ride the thing.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
That crate brings back memories. I ordered my CB50R from the dealer with the express instructions to NOT start it or even put gas in it. Just take it out of the crate and deliver it to me. So that’s what he did. I have the bike on display inside my home. It’s never been ridden or even sat on. I kept the box in my basement but lost it when my water heater gave up and flooded my basement. Oh well.

I’ve seen several street-version CB50 Dreams for sale but they’re usually in the $10k neighborhood, which is a bit much considering I’d never actually ride the thing.
This is exactly what I meant, not teasing.
These times will never come back, so let them be present and alive in our memory!
 
I remember back in high school, in the early '80s, some of the cool kids got Honda MB5s. We all thought they were neat. I had been mulling getting a moped or a very cheap car. The moped guys were sort of looked down upon, and I couldn't afford an MB5. So, I ended up with a Dodge Dart.

Next time I go to Mexico, I swear I'm smuggling back a CG125 pizza delivery bike. I still dig those things.
 
Apparently moto2imports.com had an SDR200 recently (early April). I found these pics on Facebook but there's no listing in their current inventory on their website.



























 
That is beautiful! I love the trellis swing arm especially.

Reminds of one of the things I loved with the Ducati MH900e. The design was, let's say special. But the trellis single-sided swing arm was a thing of beauty in my mind:

bdeb35cdda8b961148d7186fcced313b.jpg
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Was the Ducati trellis frame inspired by drinking a lot of wine ?
While I would not totally rule it out, it would seem far more plausible that Ducati's trellis frame was likely inspired by that which appeared on the SDR200 itself.

While not quite the stunner that the SDR200 is, after becoming aware of it's existence, I have also always liked the look of Honda's VTR250.

3174b0d1c29b4ea80ba93e37cdff929b.jpg
 
Back
Top