Saying goodbye to an old friend

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday marked the end of an era for me. I put my Hawk GT up for sale last month and was quickly contacted by a guy located in northern Idaho. We were finally able to coordinate a date and he picked the bike up yesterday morning. I felt a bit melancholy on and off throughout the day. But I was really glad to see the bike go to someone that truly appreciated the bike and who I feel will take good care of it. He and his wife will now have "His & Hers Hawks" as she already owns a Hawk. Hers is also a 1988 model, but in the Tempest Grey color as opposed to the Candy Flair Blue bike that I own(ed). Those were the only two colors that Honda offered when it came to Hawks here in the USA back in 1988. After that year all Hawks here in the States came only in Italian Red.

These bikes were way ahead of their time. I wanted one so badly back in '88 and came very close to buying one (I had completed all of the paperwork). But deep down inside, I knew that it would have been a mistake as that was definitely not the right time in my life for me to own a motorcycle. I finally bought this particular Hawk 11 years ago and that marked my return to motorcycling after many decades away. I must admit that when all was said and done it felt very surreal watching someone else riding away on "my bike". But it is mine no longer and I definitely wish the new owner all the best. On the plus side, I now I have a bit more room in the garage for doting on my CB1100.

004836f60f6c7f899faa222bd700b291.jpg
 
Sad to see it go but congratulations on having the fortitude to move on. I've been there many times. It's tough not to get attached to them. Very glad it went to an enthusiast.

Sold my Ducati Monster 620 a few weeks ago, a bike I never really bonded with. It wasn't difficult to bid adieu.
 
Beautiful bike Guth and like you said, way ahead of it's time..and underappreciated during it's run. I rode one about 15 years ago and can still remember how light it was and how well it handled.

I know how you feel sort of. I should be saying goodbye to my beloved ST this Thursday or Friday. We really bonded over the last 10 years. Been across the country every direction together multiple times and shared a lot of experiences. Will be sad to see it go, a sadness that will last a long time I'm afraid. 109,900 miles and it never failed to bring me home, even on the last day, when it really shouldn't have. It was a great motorcycle.

Haven't bonded with the FJR yet. That may take awhile.

At least you have the consolation of the CB 1100 and the S-2000. What a great combo.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Sad to see it go but congratulations on having the fortitude to move on. I've been there many times. It's tough not to get attached to them. Very glad it went to an enthusiast.

Sold my Ducati Monster 620 a few weeks ago, a bike I never really bonded with. It wasn't difficult to bid adieu.
Thanks LR, me too. Each year sees fewer and fewer of these bikes left in stock form. I priced the bike at what I thought was fair but still high enough to attract serious, responsible buyers (there are still a good number of these bikes around in molested form that people can modify further if they like). As it was I had a couple of interested buyers at my full asking price. While I could have listed the bike for more, given the amount of time that I had put into caring for the bike over the years, I was most concerned about the Hawk going to another person who wanted to keep the bike as is (just as the person who sold the bike to me was hoping I'd treat the bike). So I didn't want to be totally unreasonable.

At the end of the day I realize that we're simply talking about a "thing". But when I'm passionate about something, that tends to change the story up just a bit for me anyway.
 
When I came back to bikes in 1992 it was on a new 1989 Honda Hawk that was still in the crate.
I loved that bike and rode it for 12 years and about 80,000 km's before selling it. The new owner didn't abuse it, but didn't take care of it like I did.
I see the bike once in a while and it's filthy all the time. You can't see the back wheel for chain grease and dirt.
It still runs very well, but he has no pride of ownership.
I should have kept it :P
 
Yeah, Hawk GT was a class of its own. I had one for 15 years and I still feel the sorrow when I had to let it go, so I totally understand Guth. My heart still misses a beat when i see a red one(which is, thankfully, a very rare occasion in Europe). A lot of Hawk GTs were imported to Europe for modding and racing because it was better than its shaft driven EU counterpart Revere(NTV 650).
I was a member of the Hawk forum for years as well, I wonder if it's still active?
 
Thread starter
It's funny you'd mention that Rocky as I thought about that very thing. While I have no doubt that the new owner will treat the bike well, it just felt easier selling it to someone located further away.
 
One of the NCOs in my first Army until had a 1990 Hawk 650GT, I loved that bike but being a lowly Pte I couldn't afford one as they were still too new (being '91).

I had to settle for an '84 Virago 1000.
 
It's hard to let go because you're saying goodbye to part of you and your own past.

I rode a friend's classic Hawk GT (a red one) a couple of years ago. I loved it! Great torque and handling (it had an aftermarket rear suspension), with a riding position almost identical to my CBR250R that fits me like a glove.

3f615fb1d2ea59b793aad0bf526549c1.jpg
 
You what!? :huh:

We really could use a bit more graimlens to choose from. A jaw dropping shocker would be a better choice. :)

I've only sold a couple bikes (crashed most of them......)

Now you have room for a 2017 CB. :D
 
Thread starter
tuareg_imp said:
Yeah, Hawk GT was a class of its own. I had one for 15 years and I still feel the sorrow when I had to let it go, so I totally understand Guth. My heart still misses a beat when i see a red one(which is, thankfully, a very rare occasion in Europe). A lot of Hawk GTs were imported to Europe for modding and racing because it was better than its shaft driven EU counterpart Revere(NTV 650).
I was a member of the Hawk forum for years as well, I wonder if it's still active?
tuareg, was yours labeled as a Hawk GT or a BROS? The new owner of my Hawk actually owned a Revere back when he was living in Europe by the way. The Hawk forum is still up and running, but far less active than it used to be.
 
Mine was an '89 Hawk GT, the faster going red variety :P
I'm not sure if I'm still registered with the forum(s), there was one US and one UK forum. Got to dig up my password etc to check what's going on there, thanks for the heads up :thanks:
 
Great machines. Friend had one next to his CBR954. Now there is the XSR700 and the Monster 797. The new kids on that mid size block.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guth,

That bike is an all time classic. Like the CB400. I'm surprised you let it go. But then, I've got 5 motorcycles in my garage that I havn't ridden in over a year. That's not real bright and I should probably sell them to enthusiasts who would ride them. Good for you bro.

Chip
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504_imp said:
Great machines. Friend had one next to his CBR954. Now there is the XSR700 and the Monster 797. The new kids on that mid size block.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While it was a "mid-sized" bike, it always felt so small and lightweight. It was the perfect bike for my return to riding after a few decades away. I truly enjoyed it and I learned a lot by owning the Hawk.
 
I have felt that disturbing feeling many times watching someone else riding away with part of what has been in your life so long. the late loss of my CB750 gave me such thoughts as not wanting to see her go at the last moment and counseling the deal.
Only time i have truly been happy getting rid of anything was a bipolar redheaded wife to a Navy Chief who moved her to chula vista ca but that is probably TMI :thumbsup:
 
I had similar feelings yesterday as I watched my dead ST 1300 leave on a trailer with it's new owner who was only interested in picking it's bones for whatever left that was good.
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Guth,

That bike is an all time classic. Like the CB400. I'm surprised you let it go. But then, I've got 5 motorcycles in my garage that I havn't ridden in over a year. That's not real bright and I should probably sell them to enthusiasts who would ride them. Good for you bro.

Chip
Thanks Chip. If both space and funds were more plentiful I likely would have hung onto that bike until I was no longer able to swing a leg over it. But I do have a good number of other toys and hobbies. Also space in the garage shrunk considerably after buying the S2000. This was the right decision. Things had reached the point that the only reason I was getting out on the Hawk was to exercise it a bit to keep it healthy. The new owner seems genuinely thrilled to have the bike and that makes me feel good.

The other factor that comes into play is that I've begun to think about moving once again and while I'm only fantasizing about such things at this point, I do know that the less stuff I own should that time come, the easier such a move will be. So yeah, while I wouldn't mind still having the bike, I'm really not feeling too much regret over selling it. Of course that might be in part because I haven't stepped foot in the garage much this week, lol.
use2b_imp said:
I have felt that disturbing feeling many times watching someone else riding away with part of what has been in your life so long. the late loss of my CB750 gave me such thoughts as not wanting to see her go at the last moment and counseling the deal.
Only time i have truly been happy getting rid of anything was a bipolar redheaded wife to a Navy Chief who moved her to chula vista ca but that is probably TMI :thumbsup:
The ferret_imp said:
I had similar feelings yesterday as I watched my dead ST 1300 leave on a trailer with it's new owner who was only interested in picking it's bones for whatever left that was good.
Yeah, I don't know why I get so attached to "things", but I do. I'm sure a therapist would have a book-worthy study on their hands were they to try and break it all down, lol. At least it sounds like you guys can relate. I think of how many miles The ferret racked up on that ST 1300 and I can certainly understand developing a strong bond. In the case of the Hawk, I probably spent as much time (if not more) tinkering with it out in the garage as I did riding it. But even that creates it's own kind of bond.
 
Back
Top