Say what you want about HD / HD riders but...

Ack-CB11_imp said:
There is just so many of them. Even out here, I only saw 2 bikes Sunday! Both Harleys, both 2 up.
All the biker wave to each other out here, just not to scooters.
True, nobody waves to me when I am on the Kymco People 150. Sometimes wave to me when on my CB, usually wave when on my Moto Guzzi. I believe that 95% of the riders here are on cruisers and 90% of those on Harleys with no gear. Many ride in shorts and tennis shoes. Each to their own. I like it here in Idaho as we are, for the most part, allowed to do what we want as we have very limited govt interference in our lives.
 
You know guys...there are all sorts of reasons why some people 'ride more' than others and I don't really think the brand of bike they own has any bearing on it. My 2004 Harley has 23000 miles on it, not a lot for a 10 year old bike. The majority of those miles were put on it before I bought my 2009 KLR and my Honda's. My 6 year old KLR has 2300 miles on it. Is it because it's a Kawasaki? I know of quite a few Harley types that ride all the time... having a 4 year old 'Hog' with 40-50k or more on it is not unusual. For me right now, having multiple bikes, multiple homes, a wife who doesn't ride, and a career play a big part in my riding habits. In a few years when I retire, I plan to trade in my current Harley for a Road or Electra Glide and will definitely put the miles on. Cross Country trips are in the plans. My KLR and my CB? They will stay as my play bikes. So am I a rider? Sure, just not a 'frequent rider'... at least not right now. It's amazing how a simple thread about Harley riders waving can be spun in such a different direction. Maybe we need another oil thread... I like Mobil 1.
 
ride4now_imp said:
You know guys...there are all sorts of reasons why some people 'ride more' than others and I don't really think the brand of bike they own has any bearing on it. My 2004 Harley has 23000 miles on it, not a lot for a 10 year old bike. The majority of those miles were put on it before I bought my 2009 KLR and my Honda's. My 6 year old KLR has 2300 miles on it. Is it because it's a Kawasaki? I know of quite a few Harley types that ride all the time... having a 4 year old 'Hog' with 40-50k or more on it is not unusual. For me right now, having multiple bikes, multiple homes, a wife who doesn't ride, and a career play a big part in my riding habits. In a few years when I retire, I plan to trade in my current Harley for a Road or Electra Glide and will definitely put the miles on. Cross Country trips are in the plans. My KLR and my CB? They will stay as my play bikes. So am I a rider? Sure, just not a 'frequent rider'... at least not right now. It's amazing how a simple thread about Harley riders waving can be spun in such a different direction. Maybe we need another oil thread... I like Mobil 1.
Me, too!

I use Mobil 1 on everything but my bikes (I use the manufacturers' syn-oil in those; for the wet clutch packs)...and nothing bad happens!

It MUST be the OIL!! :banana:

:D
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
 
I don't understand any mentality that prevents waving to another motorcyclist, or scooterist for that matter.
 
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?

Quote:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
The subject was Harley riders.

What is objectionable about them? Chrome? Leather?

:-/

Cruiserface? The hard scowl, the I'mma-BAAD-dood posture? Closer...but easily ignored.

What, then?

Why do you suppose they ticket cagers who have missing mufflers?
 
VOZZA_imp said:
I nod or wave to all riders of powered two wheelers including scooter riders, some acknowledge others don't, that's up to them. I don't think it's all to do with what they ride, I think some of them are just ignorant of the practice having recently started biking and others just can't be bothered or are not concentrating.
Either way I will carry on regardless waving or nodding to other riders because I've done it for so long it is second nature.
Excellent. Is waving a big thing in left-lane countries? I've had Aussies tell me they don't do it b/c of the throttle hand and the large number of bikes going by (you'd go crazy waving).
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?

Quote:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
The subject was Harley riders.

What is objectionable about them? Chrome? Leather?

:-/

Cruiserface? The hard scowl, the I'mma-BAAD-dood posture? Closer...but easily ignored.

What, then?

Why do you suppose they ticket cagers who have missing mufflers?
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?
Do you really think that SHOUTING helps you get your point across — especially when you are complaining about people making excessive noise?

In addition, if i were to describe your posts with such broad brush strokes at those you've used to paint H-D fans I'd say that they are divisive with the intent to merit strong responses. That wouldn't exactly be fair — only some of your posts qualify.


JustPassinThru_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?

Quote:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
The subject was Harley riders.

What is objectionable about them? Chrome? Leather?

:-/

Cruiserface? The hard scowl, the I'mma-BAAD-dood posture? Closer...but easily ignored.

What, then?

Why do you suppose they ticket cagers who have missing mufflers?
My comments above should pretty much cover it.
 
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?

Quote:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
The subject was Harley riders.

What is objectionable about them? Chrome? Leather?

:-/

Cruiserface? The hard scowl, the I'mma-BAAD-dood posture? Closer...but easily ignored.

What, then?

Why do you suppose they ticket cagers who have missing mufflers?
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?
Do you really think that SHOUTING helps you get your point across — especially when you are complaining about people making excessive noise?

In addition, if i were to describe your posts with such broad brush strokes at those you've used to paint H-D fans I'd say that they are divisive with the intent to merit strong responses. That wouldn't exactly be fair — only some of your posts qualify.


JustPassinThru_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
This is just bit too ironic for me.

JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
This is just bit too ironic for me.
Oh?

Quote:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I dunno. This subject is dynamite...you play with it, someone's gonna get hurt or kilt.

I see it both ways...and Chip, obviously cultured and of varied tastes, owns one of ours and one from the Dark Side.

Great. No problem with it. On one level, I'm in complete agreement - riding is riding.

THAT SAID...my lo-rent apartment, rented for quick approval a year ago, is right against an Interstate on one side and fronts an important street. A mile down the street is the region's H-D dealership.

I don't go there so I don't see if it's a masquerade party...not my scene; not my business. BUT...with pavement on both sides, and the weather warming up...this afternoon I noticed....how MANY times I hear the open-pipe Blat-blat-BLATBLATBLAT as they roll by.

It's annoying. It really IS. Of all the things to use as identity...ANNOYING NOISE?




In my old age, I have a few moral precepts. Calling attention to one's self is unbecoming. One's work or art should do its own speaking.

And calling attention to one's self by CAUSING DISRUPTION...is the mark of a lout.

Other than that...if apehangers, with your hands going numb from neuralgia from being held over your head for hours...with minimal springing, and your tailbone taking it all because you're in the Barcalounger position...if that's your thing, who are any of us to say otherwise?
What subject was that? I don't believe that anyone had mentioned loud pipes before you brought it up in your post. Which you then used as a springboard to hurl other insults. I don't recall other topics getting you so riled up. I definitely realize that loud pipes get under your skin (and I can honestly understand why). But please lighten up a bit.
The subject was Harley riders.

What is objectionable about them? Chrome? Leather?

:-/

Cruiserface? The hard scowl, the I'mma-BAAD-dood posture? Closer...but easily ignored.

What, then?

Why do you suppose they ticket cagers who have missing mufflers?
My comments above should pretty much cover it.
Emphasis to communicate vocal inflection.

The phrase CAUSING DISRUPTION was intended to be stressed. Not shouted, but stressed.
 
@JPT-- "The subject was Harley riders."

Actually, the topic was that Harley riders were out riding and waving and essentially going against every generalization you have made or implied in your comments in this (and other) threads.

We all get that you don't like loud pipes and that you that you think poorly of those riders who choose them. i happen to have a different perspective on that, but this thread isn't about that....it's about waving to a fellow motorcyclist in a friendly acknowledgment of our shared love for riding. Give the other crap a rest already, please.
 
Italics are good, If someone is really fired up they can always "bold their text", such as I've done below.

Netiquette Wrote:Netiquette,[1] a colloquial portmanteau of network etiquette or Internet etiquette, is a set of social conventions that facilitate interaction over networks, ranging from Usenet and mailing lists to blogs and forums.

Like the network itself, these developing norms remain in a state of flux and vary from community to community. The points most strongly emphasized about Usenet netiquette often include using simple electronic signatures, and avoiding multiposting, cross-posting, off-topic posting, hijacking a discussion thread, and other techniques used to minimize the effort required to read a post or a thread. Similarly, some Usenet guidelines call for use of unabbreviated English[2][3] while users of instant messaging protocols like SMS occasionally encourage just the opposite, bolstering use of SMS language. However, many online communities frown upon this practice.

Common rules for e-mail[4] and Usenet such as avoiding flamewars and spam are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to avoid typing in all caps or grossly enlarging script for emphasis, which is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling.
None of which has anything to do with hurling divisive insults. Italicizing or bolding isn't going to help anyone in that case.
 
Incidentally, my priest rides a Harley...with a modified exhaust. He wears leather. He has leather saddlebags with studs and fringe. He rides as often as he can, but that's not very often. And he waves to other bikers.
 
Coming to CBS this fall...

(Imagine a voice over in a deep, cool sounding voice): my priest rides a Harley...with a modified exhaust. He wears leather. He has leather saddlebags with studs and fringe. He rides as often as he can, but that's not very often. And he waves to other bikers.
 
Stichill_imp said:
VOZZA_imp said:
I nod or wave to all riders of powered two wheelers including scooter riders, some acknowledge others don't, that's up to them. I don't think it's all to do with what they ride, I think some of them are just ignorant of the practice having recently started biking and others just can't be bothered or are not concentrating.
Either way I will carry on regardless waving or nodding to other riders because I've done it for so long it is second nature.
Excellent. Is waving a big thing in left-lane countries? I've had Aussies tell me they don't do it b/c of the throttle hand and the large number of bikes going by (you'd go crazy waving).
That's exactly the reason, why more'n'more riders here in Germany refrain from greeting. It's just to crowded here.

However, I greet EVERY oncoming rider...





..with a gentle lift of my left eyebrow. :thumbsup:
 
I wave to every rider I see and I get about a 95% response on either the Harley or the CB, that drops to about 60% when I'm on the Can Am. I think its the die hard pirates that turn their noses up at the Cam Am, but then I meet a lot of older riders that think they are very cool and could be in their future. Speaking of Harleys, I took my 95 Heritage Nostalgia out for the first time this year on Saturday for a long ride around the Cape (no such thing as a long ride around Nantucket). After riding the CB exclusively for the past few weeks, the Harley was like riding a Dinosaur in comparison to riding the DLX.
 
Django_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
VOZZA_imp said:
I nod or wave to all riders of powered two wheelers including scooter riders, some acknowledge others don't, that's up to them. I don't think it's all to do with what they ride, I think some of them are just ignorant of the practice having recently started biking and others just can't be bothered or are not concentrating.
Either way I will carry on regardless waving or nodding to other riders because I've done it for so long it is second nature.
Excellent. Is waving a big thing in left-lane countries? I've had Aussies tell me they don't do it b/c of the throttle hand and the large number of bikes going by (you'd go crazy waving).
That's exactly the reason, why more'n'more riders here in Germany refrain from greeting. It's just to crowded here.

However, I greet EVERY oncoming rider...





..with a gentle lift of my left eyebrow. :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's not safe to wave due to taking a corner or operating the clutch. If I can I tip my head but sometimes I just focus on riding.
Chapomis_imp said:
I wave to every rider I see and I get about a 95% response on either the Harley or the CB, that drops to about 60% when I'm on the Can Am. I think its the die hard pirates that turn their noses up at the Cam Am, but then I meet a lot of older riders that think they are very cool and could be in their future. Speaking of Harleys, I took my 95 Heritage Nostalgia out for the first time this year on Saturday for a long ride around the Cape (no such thing as a long ride around Nantucket). After riding the CB exclusively for the past few weeks, the Harley was like riding a Dinosaur in comparison to riding the DLX.
When I become old and broken-down, Plan A is to try a luxury scooter in the 650cc class. Plan B is an articulating 3-wheeler like a Piaggio MP3 or Yamaha Tricity (if they are ever sold here). Plan C is to get a Miata (affordable) or Morgan 3-Wheeler (if I win the lottery).
 


*waves at everyone in this thread
Stichill_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
VOZZA_imp said:
I nod or wave to all riders of powered two wheelers including scooter riders, some acknowledge others don't, that's up to them. I don't think it's all to do with what they ride, I think some of them are just ignorant of the practice having recently started biking and others just can't be bothered or are not concentrating.
Either way I will carry on regardless waving or nodding to other riders because I've done it for so long it is second nature.
Excellent. Is waving a big thing in left-lane countries? I've had Aussies tell me they don't do it b/c of the throttle hand and the large number of bikes going by (you'd go crazy waving).
That's exactly the reason, why more'n'more riders here in Germany refrain from greeting. It's just to crowded here.

However, I greet EVERY oncoming rider...





..with a gentle lift of my left eyebrow. :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's not safe to wave due to taking a corner or operating the clutch. If I can I tip my head but sometimes I just focus on riding.
Chapomis_imp said:
I wave to every rider I see and I get about a 95% response on either the Harley or the CB, that drops to about 60% when I'm on the Can Am. I think its the die hard pirates that turn their noses up at the Cam Am, but then I meet a lot of older riders that think they are very cool and could be in their future. Speaking of Harleys, I took my 95 Heritage Nostalgia out for the first time this year on Saturday for a long ride around the Cape (no such thing as a long ride around Nantucket). After riding the CB exclusively for the past few weeks, the Harley was like riding a Dinosaur in comparison to riding the DLX.
When I become old and broken-down, Plan A is to try a luxury scooter in the 650cc class. Plan B is an articulating 3-wheeler like a Piaggio MP3 or Yamaha Tricity (if they are ever sold here). Plan C is to get a Miata (affordable) or Morgan 3-Wheeler (if I win the lottery).
what no slingshot??
 
I saw 2 Slingshots up in Helen, Ga last week. They look pretty cool
but for me, you might as well buy a Miata or something like that. The CanAm is a whole other idea. When/if I can't ride a 2 wheeler, one of those
will reside in my garage.
 
Back
Top