Saw the 2017 CB1100 today...

decarmine_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Saw the new CB1100 at the Honda tent at Daytona Bike Week. Did not expect to like it after reading all the posts on this forum but I have to say I REALLY DO like it. The new seamless tank is WIDER than on my 2014 standard. There was a 2014(?) black standard right next to the new one and the differences were striking. The knee indentations are deeper, the mufflers are shorter, much more chrome.

It loses some of the retro look, but the overall effect is stunning!

MSRP is $12,199 and destination charge is $380. Don't expect much discounting, at least not initially, and, of course, dealer setup charges and "opportunistic markup" will vary dealer to dealer...

Frank
 
I can't wait to see one in person.
 
I noticed that all the official Honda pictures of the 2017 say "European Model Shown" Did you notice anything different in person from the pictures on the Honda web site?
 
Thread starter
CB750K1_imp said:
I noticed that all the official Honda pictures of the 2017 say "European Model Shown" Did you notice anything different in person from the pictures on the Honda web site?
Hadn't seen the web site pictures before today so wasn't looking for differences, but overall impression is it looked (at least essentially) the same.

I believe ride4now and possibly others will be going to Daytona this weekend. Perhaps someone else will have an opinion...

Frank
 
decarmine_imp said:
CB750K1_imp said:
I noticed that all the official Honda pictures of the 2017 say "European Model Shown" Did you notice anything different in person from the pictures on the Honda web site?
Hadn't seen the web site pictures before today so wasn't looking for differences, but overall impression is it looked (at least essentially) the same.

I believe ride4now and possibly others will be going to Daytona this weekend. Perhaps someone else will have an opinion...

Frank
Hadn't seen the web site pictures before today so wasn't looking for differences, but overall impression is it looked (at least essentially) the same.

I believe ride4now and possibly others will be going to Daytona this weekend. Perhaps someone else will have an opinion...

Frank

I did go today and overnight tonight. Guys, beauty is in the eye of the be-holder. Even so, I hate to say it... the lines of that tank are too extreme for my tastes. In fact, even though I'm sure i'm wrong, the bike looks smaller than the DLX.

Here's two shots of the tank from the rear.
It just looks odd to me.

91c2ae634dd9f3726981e2471b61f0f1.jpg


6bedad633b914d8030c7c0214570f2ec.jpg


Here's two more... same side though...

6297651c0504bacb3d1300561b0c76fc.jpg


32a2e8ecc53c52e6451bd071754a5a55.jpg


I rode my DLX to Daytona from St Pete today and since I parked near the Honda tent, I pretty much got off my bike and right on the new one for comparison. I'm sorry, if I didn't own my Deluxe, I don't know if I'd do this one. I'd consider even a '13 if I wanted red and couldn't find a DLX.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the be-holder.

Here's my DLX as I was leaving St Pete early this morning. I think I'll keep it.

ba2f43b9adc0fe5577cf4425eb3e1beb.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've not yet seen the '17 in the flesh and while I'm lukewarm on the tank, I really like that fastback seat and grab rail. Very sleek. And yeah, I'd prefer to have those spokes than my mags...
 
Those side reflectors above the front brake calipers look goofy. Looks like something an 8 year old would put on their bicycle.
 
CB750K1_imp said:
Those side reflectors above the front brake calipers look goofy. Looks like something an 8 year old would put on their bicycle.
DOT reg. They will come right off, just like ours if so desired.
 
On the 13 I heated them up with a hairdryer and then used a vice grip and gently applied pressure. The came off with no residue on the forks.
 
yea you don't even need the vice grips, you can pry them off with your fingers once the tape is heated up. Looks like the 2017 would have a small nut on the back.
 
"I just don't understand why Honda continues to put the silver side covers on these otherwise beautiful bikes. JMHO..."

Rumor has it Mr. T.'s cousin is on the CB1100 aesthetics design team. It's the only thing that would make sense.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I just don't understand why Honda continues to put the silver side covers on these otherwise beautiful bikes. JMHO...
Frulk_imp said:
"I just don't understand why Honda continues to put the silver side covers on these otherwise beautiful bikes. JMHO..."

Rumor has it Mr. T.'s cousin is on the CB1100 aesthetics design team. It's the only thing that would make sense.
If I do get a 2017, the first thing that will happen is the reflectors come off and then the side covers will one way or the other end up red! Every time I look at a picture of the 2017 I try to imagine it with a red side cover. That would make it a truly beautiful bike. The silver seems to take away from the looks of the bike. Even black side covers would look better. Maybe some of the designers were color blind???
 
The new EX side covers are real brushed aluminum instead of silver painted plastic... guess Honda thinks that's an upgrade. They would look much better if they where anodized black.
 
.... In fact, even though I'm sure i'm wrong, the bike looks smaller than the DLX.....


Aesthetics aside, sitting on them back-to-back, did you happen to notice any differences in the seating position or ergonomics in general or would you say in that regard they are virtually interchangable? I'm hoping the '17 is a little more inviting for the taller rider. I've always liked the new CB's, they just feel a lot smaller to me when I've sat on one vs. the W650's or Bonnie's that I've owned. On the design side, they seem to be moving it back to the 60's vs the 70's which strangely is just what Triumph did with the Bonneville right before it took off. If you look at a 2002 Bonnie it was a lot more 70's than the very 60's T100's that came out a few years later.
 
Back
Top