Saturday in the Mountains

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was in the garage this morning trying out some engine cleaner that got decent reviews from some of my Harley friends. Okay, who am I kidding? I don't have any Harley friends. Still, while searching for engine cleaner for blacked out engines, I came across reviews for something called Pig Spit that some members on various v-twin forums recommended and I ordered a can. As I was admiring my handiwork (the stuff works well enough I suppose), my wife came outside and said she was off to do some shopping and wouldn't be back for at least a couple of hours. As she was getting into her car she said, "You should go for a ride or something."

She is such a beautiful, intelligent and wise woman.

Within 30 minutes I was winding through the two-lane roads of our local canyons. Traffic was light and the sun was shining. Highway 94 is one of my favorite local roads. Plenty of turns but nothing too technical. The road weaves through low mountains and across pastures filled with cattle. There was an unusually high police presence today, parked on the side of the road, radar guns at the ready. I was alerted as to their location by riders going in the opposite direction with the familiar tapping on top of the helmet; a warning I was grateful to receive and one I passed along to others.

I turned north at Buckman Springs Road which eventually leads to Old Highway 80 which runs parallel to the interstate. West on Highway 80 takes me along a faded concrete road with mountains on either side. Being so close to the Mexican border, I passed through a border checkpoint then continued west to Sunrise Highway. At this point, I had been riding for about an hour, maybe more. I decided to take Sunrise Highway up and over Mount Laguna.

Again, I was blessed with empty roads. The temperature continued to dip as I climbed higher up the mountain. Soon, snow appeared on either side of the road. It was a pleasant surprise. Bright white patches of snow nestled among the oak trees. Fortunately, the roads were dry and free of debris. The CB, as always, performed flawlessly. On the other side of the mountain I had the option of turning right and heading towards Julian or turning left and heading towards Lake Cuyamaca. Nine times out of ten I turn right. Today, I chose the lake.

Lake Cuyamaca is not particularly large. But it certainly is scenic. Mountains capped with snow surround the lake and small boats with fishermen floated on its surface. Here, the traffic increased but still flowed nicely. The slower pace allowed me to take everything in and wonderful memories soon filled my head. Lake Cuyamaca was where I took my boys for their first attempt at fishing. We had a great time until they learned this lake did not practice catch and release and we had to keep the tiny trout they had caught. Both boys started crying at the thought of the fish dying. It's funny now but at the time, I felt horrible for them and didn't know what to say or do to make it better. Hot chocolate and pie at a nearby restaurant went pretty far in making things right.

Just past the lake was a sign for a school campground. The very campground I had stayed at in eighth grade. I couldn't help but smile inside my helmet at the memory of banana pancakes and singing "Come Back to Cuyamaca" with Sherry Freddie in front of the entire class. That took some guts. And we pulled it off nicely. Afterwards, classmates would come up to me and say, "Man, I didn't know you could sing!" I would honestly reply, "Me either!"

The road eventually led back to the interstate I had avoided earlier. Westward bound until I eventually reached home. The temperature rising back into the upper 70s, low 80s. Today felt good. Really good.

I didn't take many photos. It seemed most of what would truly be worth seeing could only be seen while in motion. I'm thinking I should invest in a GoPro. That could be fun. I did snap a few shots of the bike. I can only hope you share my inability to tire of seeing photos of the CB1100.


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1592.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1603.jpg.html]
 
The way I read this, you spent nearly the same amount of time on Memory Lane as you did on Hwy. 94 and that, often, is the best road of all.

When my wife says "I'm going shopping. You should go for a ride or something", I usually translate it to "I'm about to spend a lot of money so I think you should do something fun so you won't be as angry when you find out what I bought". I still go for the ride, though, and I'm usually not angry about what she bought, so I guess she knows what she's doing.
 
Great report and pics MG. Sounds like you had a splendid ride. I too prefer curves that are on the less technical side. I want to enjoy my ride not work at it.

Sea that was funny.
 
Bike looks great MG. Great descriptions of the scenery. We got into the low 30s today so the snow was melting. I got out and about in the car a bit and stopped by some bike shops. Nothing much new. The Beemers are coming in early. Sat on the Kawasaki Versys 1000. Big but quite nice if you're into ADV bikes. Must go like stink with the ZX10 motor in it.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I was in the garage this morning trying out some engine cleaner that got decent reviews from some of my Harley friends. Okay, who am I kidding? I don't have any Harley friends. Still, while searching for engine cleaner for blacked out engines, I came across reviews for something called Pig Spit that some members on various v-twin forums recommended and I ordered a can. As I was admiring my handiwork (the stuff works well enough I suppose), my wife came outside and said she was off to do some shopping and wouldn't be back for at least a couple of hours. As she was getting into her car she said, "You should go for a ride or something."

She is such a beautiful, intelligent and wise woman.

Within 30 minutes I was winding through the two-lane roads of our local canyons. Traffic was light and the sun was shining. Highway 94 is one of my favorite local roads. Plenty of turns but nothing too technical. The road weaves through low mountains and across pastures filled with cattle. There was an unusually high police presence today, parked on the side of the road, radar guns at the ready. I was alerted as to their location by riders going in the opposite direction with the familiar tapping on top of the helmet; a warning I was grateful to receive and one I passed along to others.

I turned north at Buckman Springs Road which eventually leads to Old Highway 80 which runs parallel to the interstate. West on Highway 80 takes me along a faded concrete road with mountains on either side. Being so close to the Mexican border, I passed through a border checkpoint then continued west to Sunrise Highway. At this point, I had been riding for about an hour, maybe more. I decided to take Sunrise Highway up and over Mount Laguna.

Again, I was blessed with empty roads. The temperature continued to dip as I climbed higher up the mountain. Soon, snow appeared on either side of the road. It was a pleasant surprise. Bright white patches of snow nestled among the oak trees. Fortunately, the roads were dry and free of debris. The CB, as always, performed flawlessly. On the other side of the mountain I had the option of turning right and heading towards Julian or turning left and heading towards Lake Cuyamaca. Nine times out of ten I turn right. Today, I chose the lake.

Lake Cuyamaca is not particularly large. But it certainly is scenic. Mountains capped with snow surround the lake and small boats with fishermen floated on its surface. Here, the traffic increased but still flowed nicely. The slower pace allowed me to take everything in and wonderful memories soon filled my head. Lake Cuyamaca was where I took my boys for their first attempt at fishing. We had a great time until they learned this lake did not practice catch and release and we had to keep the tiny trout they had caught. Both boys started crying at the thought of the fish dying. It's funny now but at the time, I felt horrible for them and didn't know what to say or do to make it better. Hot chocolate and pie at a nearby restaurant went pretty far in making things right.

Just past the lake was a sign for a school campground. The very campground I had stayed at in eighth grade. I couldn't help but smile inside my helmet at the memory of banana pancakes and singing "Come Back to Cuyamaca" with Sherry Freddie in front of the entire class. That took some guts. And we pulled it off nicely. Afterwards, classmates would come up to me and say, "Man, I didn't know you could sing!" I would honestly reply, "Me either!"

The road eventually led back to the interstate I had avoided earlier. Westward bound until I eventually reached home. The temperature rising back into the upper 70s, low 80s. Today felt good. Really good.

I didn't take many photos. It seemed most of what would truly be worth seeing could only be seen while in motion. I'm thinking I should invest in a GoPro. That could be fun. I did snap a few shots of the bike. I can only hope you share my inability to tire of seeing photos of the CB1100.


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1592.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1603.jpg.html]

Sounds like you need to try the Ferret's camera-on-a-lanyard trick. Hang it around your neck and snap away while you ride. I finally dug through my drawer at work and found a sturdy lanyard. I'm taking a ride up to the mountains tomorrow to try it out.
 
Nice report MG. I'll have to look at a map later to see where you went.

Ironic? Funny? Curious? None of those? I don't know. But I went to Laguna, Laguna Bay, or just to its south this morning, walked on the beach and swam in the ocean. The CB stayed at home and still won't speak to me.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
The way I read this, you spent nearly the same amount of time on Memory Lane as you did on Hwy. 94 and that, often, is the best road of all.

When my wife says "I'm going shopping. You should go for a ride or something", I usually translate it to "I'm about to spend a lot of money so I think you should do something fun so you won't be as angry when you find out what I bought". I still go for the ride, though, and I'm usually not angry about what she bought, so I guess she knows what she's doing.
Very funny. And very true. I lucked out this time. My wife's shopping bags were filled with inexpensive craft items for a project she's working on.
The ferret_imp said:
Great report and pics MG. Sounds like you had a splendid ride. I too prefer curves that are on the less technical side. I want to enjoy my ride not work at it.

Sea that was funny.
Thanks ferret. The more and more I ride, the happier I am to ease off the throttle. I'm itching to do a track day and am considering going to the California Superbike School to satisfy that desire. I hope to leave the speed on the track and enjoy much more sensible rides on our public roads.
Flynrider_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I was in the garage this morning trying out some engine cleaner that got decent reviews from some of my Harley friends. Okay, who am I kidding? I don't have any Harley friends. Still, while searching for engine cleaner for blacked out engines, I came across reviews for something called Pig Spit that some members on various v-twin forums recommended and I ordered a can. As I was admiring my handiwork (the stuff works well enough I suppose), my wife came outside and said she was off to do some shopping and wouldn't be back for at least a couple of hours. As she was getting into her car she said, "You should go for a ride or something."

She is such a beautiful, intelligent and wise woman.

Within 30 minutes I was winding through the two-lane roads of our local canyons. Traffic was light and the sun was shining. Highway 94 is one of my favorite local roads. Plenty of turns but nothing too technical. The road weaves through low mountains and across pastures filled with cattle. There was an unusually high police presence today, parked on the side of the road, radar guns at the ready. I was alerted as to their location by riders going in the opposite direction with the familiar tapping on top of the helmet; a warning I was grateful to receive and one I passed along to others.

I turned north at Buckman Springs Road which eventually leads to Old Highway 80 which runs parallel to the interstate. West on Highway 80 takes me along a faded concrete road with mountains on either side. Being so close to the Mexican border, I passed through a border checkpoint then continued west to Sunrise Highway. At this point, I had been riding for about an hour, maybe more. I decided to take Sunrise Highway up and over Mount Laguna.

Again, I was blessed with empty roads. The temperature continued to dip as I climbed higher up the mountain. Soon, snow appeared on either side of the road. It was a pleasant surprise. Bright white patches of snow nestled among the oak trees. Fortunately, the roads were dry and free of debris. The CB, as always, performed flawlessly. On the other side of the mountain I had the option of turning right and heading towards Julian or turning left and heading towards Lake Cuyamaca. Nine times out of ten I turn right. Today, I chose the lake.

Lake Cuyamaca is not particularly large. But it certainly is scenic. Mountains capped with snow surround the lake and small boats with fishermen floated on its surface. Here, the traffic increased but still flowed nicely. The slower pace allowed me to take everything in and wonderful memories soon filled my head. Lake Cuyamaca was where I took my boys for their first attempt at fishing. We had a great time until they learned this lake did not practice catch and release and we had to keep the tiny trout they had caught. Both boys started crying at the thought of the fish dying. It's funny now but at the time, I felt horrible for them and didn't know what to say or do to make it better. Hot chocolate and pie at a nearby restaurant went pretty far in making things right.

Just past the lake was a sign for a school campground. The very campground I had stayed at in eighth grade. I couldn't help but smile inside my helmet at the memory of banana pancakes and singing "Come Back to Cuyamaca" with Sherry Freddie in front of the entire class. That took some guts. And we pulled it off nicely. Afterwards, classmates would come up to me and say, "Man, I didn't know you could sing!" I would honestly reply, "Me either!"

The road eventually led back to the interstate I had avoided earlier. Westward bound until I eventually reached home. The temperature rising back into the upper 70s, low 80s. Today felt good. Really good.

I didn't take many photos. It seemed most of what would truly be worth seeing could only be seen while in motion. I'm thinking I should invest in a GoPro. That could be fun. I did snap a few shots of the bike. I can only hope you share my inability to tire of seeing photos of the CB1100.


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1592.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1603.jpg.html]

Sounds like you need to try the Ferret's camera-on-a-lanyard trick. Hang it around your neck and snap away while you ride. I finally dug through my drawer at work and found a sturdy lanyard. I'm taking a ride up to the mountains tomorrow to try it out.

Sounds like you need to try the Ferret's camera-on-a-lanyard trick. Hang it around your neck and snap away while you ride. I finally dug through my drawer at work and found a sturdy lanyard. I'm taking a ride up to the mountains tomorrow to try it out.
That's actually a great idea. I have a small Canon that would be perfect for this. I question my ability to navigate both the bike and camera though! I'll have to take baby steps with it and build my skills until I can somewhat approach the ferret's skills.
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks! Are the maps that you've shared with your ride reports plotted manually by you after your ride or does your phone/GPS track your ride and generate a map afterwards? I would enjoy having an automated feature that displays my routes with a simple start and stop selection.

Considering that you are my brother from Down Under, it is not surprising that you were enjoying your own Laguna at the same time I was enjoying mine.
Rocky_imp said:
Nice ride report :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Rocky! I'm looking forward to reading one of your ride reports. When can we expect to have one?!
 
Like I told flynrider in another thread

Guess I don't have to tell you to be careful. Safety first. Make sure you can operate the camera with your left hand, make sure you can drive with just your right hand. Practice on a deserted straightaway. Realize at any time you can let go of the camera and grab the bars if you need to and you wont lose the camera. Don't worry about turning it off before you drop it you can turn it off later or the timer will turn it off. Make sure your lanyard isn't so long that you will drop the camera on your tank.

I don't even look at what I am shooting in the camera screen, I just point the camera in the direction and shoot, and look at them later when I get home. The great thing about digital is you can take 100 photos and delete the 50 that didn't turn out. Not like the old days when you'd take a roll of 36 pics, send them in for developing, and then throw 15 away.

You can even take selfies lol..notice how I am holding the camera and that I am not looking at it but looking down the road.



Look at this old thread by Cormanus. Now, think about all the awesome ride reports he has entertained us with since becoming the "one handed rider" lol

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/58816/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1947&highlight=lanyard
 
MG, good luck with the camera on the lanyard. It's a good trick and has provided me with hours and hours of harmless fun. I'm pleased the Ferret shared the knowledge. But ...

There are days when I find I get too focussed on taking pictures to the detriment of just riding the bike. There have been roads I would have enjoyed riding a great deal more if I hadn't been worried about going slowly enough to get pictures of the twisties. This is a more generic problem for photographers, I guess: do you enjoy the actual moment or do you enjoy it at one remove through the viewfinder?

The second thing—and it may be an issue only for me—is that you end up with a lot of pictures of roads. And the ONLY people that have any interest at all in roads are members of motorcycle forums or road engineers. Your wife may love you very much but, trust me, she'll find a way to tell you quickly that there are only so many pictures of bitumen or gravel a girl can stand. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you guys have little interest. If so, please spare my arthritic shutter release finger and tell me.

On the question of maps, I draw them after the event. I quite like the process, although you do have to contend with Google knowing better than you where you went. I do have an iPhone app called Hike&Bike (by Navionics who make a great marine chart app) which can keep track of where you went, how fast you were going, how much you climbed, etc. You can replay the ride afterwards. The only downside is that it uses Bing maps and I can't find any way to get the map data out of the app. The advantage of drawing a map on Google is that you can zoom into it pretty closely.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Like I told flynrider in another thread

Guess I don't have to tell you to be careful. Safety first. Make sure you can operate the camera with your left hand, make sure you can drive with just your right hand. Practice on a deserted straightaway. Realize at any time you can let go of the camera and grab the bars if you need to and you wont lose the camera. Don't worry about turning it off before you drop it you can turn it off later or the timer will turn it off. Make sure your lanyard isn't so long that you will drop the camera on your tank.

I don't even look at what I am shooting in the camera screen, I just point the camera in the direction and shoot, and look at them later when I get home. The great thing about digital is you can take 100 photos and delete the 50 that didn't turn out. Not like the old days when you'd take a roll of 36 pics, send them in for developing, and then throw 15 away.

You can even take selfies lol..notice how I am holding the camera and that I am not looking at it but looking down the road.



Look at this old thread by Cormanus. Now, think about all the awesome ride reports he has entertained us with since becoming the "one handed rider" lol

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/58816/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1947&highlight=lanyard
Your suggestions and advice are very much appreciated! Thank you! Now to find a lanyard of sufficient (but not too much) length.
Cormanus_imp said:
MG, good luck with the camera on the lanyard. It's a good trick and has provided me with hours and hours of harmless fun. I'm pleased the Ferret shared the knowledge. But ...

There are days when I find I get too focussed on taking pictures to the detriment of just riding the bike. There have been roads I would have enjoyed riding a great deal more if I hadn't been worried about going slowly enough to get pictures of the twisties. This is a more generic problem for photographers, I guess: do you enjoy the actual moment or do you enjoy it at one remove through the viewfinder?

The second thing—and it may be an issue only for me—is that you end up with a lot of pictures of roads. And the ONLY people that have any interest at all in roads are members of motorcycle forums or road engineers. Your wife may love you very much but, trust me, she'll find a way to tell you quickly that there are only so many pictures of bitumen or gravel a girl can stand. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you guys have little interest. If so, please spare my arthritic shutter release finger and tell me.

On the question of maps, I draw them after the event. I quite like the process, although you do have to contend with Google knowing better than you where you went. I do have an iPhone app called Hike&Bike (by Navionics who make a great marine chart app) which can keep track of where you went, how fast you were going, how much you climbed, etc. You can replay the ride afterwards. The only downside is that it uses Bing maps and I can't find any way to get the map data out of the app. The advantage of drawing a map on Google is that you can zoom into it pretty closely.
Your point concerning enjoying the ride over documenting it with photos is well taken. I can see myself already, obsessing over getting the right shot just so I can come on here and post it for all to see. Still, I'll give it a try and will be mindful of where my focus is during the ride. (Haven't written one of those in a while. Haha.) I'll stick with my goal of obtaining a suitable video camera. That way, my obsession will be contained to post-ride editing and music selection. And, yes, these will be photos and eventually videos that I suspect my wife will never see.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing all of your photos of roads, road-side diners, motorcycles and the occasional Pterodactyl sighting. Keep them coming!
 
The camera lanyard has to be long enough to go over your helmet.

My camera is every bit as much a part of my riding gear as my helmet, jacket and gloves. I NEVER ride without it. On some rides I never take a picture, it just hangs there. On others I shoot 100 pictures, on some I have shot thousands, like when I went to Europe or when I rode ro California last summer. I like photographs. Always have. They allow others to see some of the wondrous things I have seen, share in some of my awesome adventures, and at a soon to be 65 years old they allow me to look back and remember just what a good life I have had.
 
My lanyard doesn't fit over my helmet. I just put the camera on first. Go Pros Re great, but the digital on a lanyard is more convenient. My intent is to eventually have both. That way, I don't have to unmount the GoPro to take a picture, say, of something to my left.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Time for a GoPro Ferret. Probably safer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Naaa I'm old school. :cool:
 
Well, I don't have a DVR, a smart phone, any digital magazines, or have anything that's blue tooth. I still pay bills with a check and envelope and stamps, and hand write my return address. I do have a VCR however and a bunch of VHS tapes ( I also have vinyl albums but no record player anymore)...I do have some CDs and DVDs only I can never remember which ones are music and which ones are movies, so I call them all CDDVD's. I still have a land line telephone and walk into my credit union to talk to a person (don't use ATM's). For the most part I still use paper maps, and carry cash when going on trips (I am learning to rely more on my cc these days). My kids think it's funny that I still carry and pay for things with cash, but there is no identity theft with cash. I finally got basic cable but I don't get any sports or movie channels and mainly watch CH 12, a local network TV channel (is Direct Tv considered cable or satellite?) and in the truck I listen to mostly AM radio. Up until 2 years ago I unlocked my car with the key rather than that push button thingy (key doesn't need a battery). My truck before my latest truck was still a truck, with vinyl floor and roll down windows, no air, no radio and a big long shifter for the 5 speed on the floor. My latest truck is a frickin Cadilac with a bed (actually it's a Honda). If the battery ever dies it will just be a lump of metal as it won't do anything without juice. I will have to open the door just to get some air while waiting for AAA. Yes, I still have AAA..since the late 60's lol...oh and I still watch the evening news every day at 6 PM just like my parents did.

Now, am I old school or what?
 
:hello: I hear ya Sea.

I do miss walking up to the mailbox and finding a letter in there from a friend. Now it's all texts and emails.

I wrote an article one time (for an Archery Magazine) about how we were losing our heritage. When hand written letters and film pictures finally go by the way side, documenting events and conversations in history is going to be tough. Think about the article that was recently posted about Soichiro Honda. The pictures, the hand written quotes. Pictures and letters document history. Is there someday going to be a book featuring emails and texts from/between todays pioneers? And since texts and emails can be altered..or deleted or lost...

Boy talk about a thread hijack :rolleyes: sorry MG
metallyguitarded_imp said:


:rofl: wow that made be belly laugh. I used to have one of those. Loved the noise it made when it spit out the pic and then watching the picture develop..like magic!

Good one MG.
 
Back
Top