Saluting oncoming riders?

MaFiHa_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi.

I'm wondering if it is worldwide that motor cyclist salute to oncoming
riders?
In Germany, I think 80 % of the riders do.
Is it a "German thing"?
Or is it a European thing?
Or is it a motor cycle riding thing?!

:biker:
 
It's a nod in the UK, unless I'm feeling very sociable ;-) possibly that British Reserve thing or just not wanting to take your hands off the 'bars.

I've seen quite a few people stick their leg out in Europe if they overtake you, and sometime if they approach you...
 
Thread starter
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
It's a nod in the UK, unless I'm feeling very sociable ;-) possibly that British Reserve thing or just not wanting to take your hands off the 'bars.

I've seen quite a few people stick their leg out in Europe if they overtake you, and sometime if they approach you...
Okay, riding on the left (wrong :angel: ) side makes it difficult, I see ;)
 
MaFiHa_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
It's a nod in the UK, unless I'm feeling very sociable ;-) possibly that British Reserve thing or just not wanting to take your hands off the 'bars.

I've seen quite a few people stick their leg out in Europe if they overtake you, and sometime if they approach you...
Okay, riding on the left (wrong :angel: ) side makes it difficult, I see ;)
Okay, riding on the left (wrong :angel: ) side makes it difficult, I see ;)
Oh yes, I never thought of that, you guys can keep you had on the throttle and wave on the correct (Left) side... Doh!
 
I give the signal any non-squid as long as I'm not clutching at the time, and I like to signal scooters because I want them to feel comfortable with upgrading ... as long as they're not squids.
 
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
MaFiHa_imp said:
Hi.

I'm wondering if it is worldwide that motor cyclist salute to oncoming
riders?
In Germany, I think 80 % of the riders do.
Is it a "German thing"?
Or is it a European thing?
Or is it a motor cycle riding thing?!

:biker:
Not universal...some countries they don't--my experience in Mexico and south to Costa Rica--but perhaps it does happen from time to time. I think there are simply too many who ride for it to be possible--you'd be riding with one hand and basically be waving 80% of the time.
:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:
 
Retsel_imp said:
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
Good guy points to you, EmptySea!

I have to restrain myself from waving when driving my truck!
 
I don't wave at all. Exceptions are: other motorcycle riders, 3 wheelers, cyclists, trains, tractors, golf carts, cool cars, kids on big wheels, flying saucers hovering above me, and Bigfoot when crossing the road
 
For some reason, I don't wave at the Can-Am Spyders. Perhaps because I don't really think of them as motorcycles but I am sure my day will come when I need one. However, they almost never initiate a wave either. I also wave at the scooters, though most of them seem surprised when you do.
 
I generally don't bother to wave in town, but I usually do on the open road. In the US, generally Harley riders won't wave at non-Harley riders (though there are exceptions) and BMW riders won't wave at anyone (again, there are some exceptions, including yours truly).
 
I wave at everyone on 2-3 wheels, Spyders included. Around here generally everyone waves back with a few exceptions of bike snobs on all brands/genres.

I go out of my way to wave at scooters as for the most part it's teenagers riding them and I remember how cool I thought it was when I was 14 on my scooter and someone on a "real bike waved at me.

I also have a rather "festive" wave that I reserve for the outlaw bikers types for no other reason than it amuses me.

What is a "shaka" wave?
 
MaFiHa_imp said:
Hi.

I'm wondering if it is worldwide that motor cyclist salute to oncoming
riders?
In Germany, I think 80 % of the riders do.
Is it a "German thing"?
Or is it a European thing?
Or is it a motor cycle riding thing?!

:biker:
Don't know if this kind of greeting among bikers has its origin in Europe or Germany. In Germany they use the clutch hand and wave, in more southern countries of Europe they raise the right leg, especially while overtaking. Feels strange to me.

During the main season sometimes too many bikers are out on the road, so I stopp waving, because it would be too often and becomes very akward. Some 2 wheelers are per se out of this procedere. Most of them are mentioned in earlier posts for good reason.

During the rest of the year I seldom, once in a while meet a true biker. Others hardly ride. I greet with respect and mostly get an answer.

Wisedrum
 
Banned_imp said:
I wave at everyone on 2-3 wheels, Spyders included. Around here generally everyone waves back with a few exceptions of bike snobs on all brands/genres.

I go out of my way to wave at scooters as for the most part it's teenagers riding them and I remember how cool I thought it was when I was 14 on my scooter and someone on a "real bike waved at me.

I also have a rather "festive" wave that I reserve for the outlaw bikers types for no other reason than it amuses me.

What is a "shaka" wave?
:rofl:
 
Back
Top