Saddlebags

paulw_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am looking for a set of bags that would mount without removal of the rear turn signals. Has anyone found a set and if so what was/is the brand and model. I travel pretty light with the average trip being 7 days or so. Need room for rainsuit, extra gloves, walking shoes and of course a couple of extra shirts and a off the bike pair of jeans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
Hard bags or soft bags paul?
 
Japanese police panniers?
FWIW, I was tempted with these:
https://www.samurider.com/?p=23476
Pricey, but not outrageously so. I did not like the fact that the rear carrier would have to be removed each time I fit these on. So in the end I'll keep traveling in my old hobo style: 40 l dry duffel bag strapped length-wise behind me.

If you decide to get those, I'll be very interested in any comments you might have.
 
To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-...000&list=1b50aa945e62c6c2eb506ab8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with stripes which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes. I prefer leather look over textil and use leather wax to make the leather bags more waterresistant than they naturally are for daily use.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb plastic, spacey and waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-...000&list=1b50aa945e62c6c2eb506ab8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with stripes which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes. I prefer leather look over textil and use leather wax to make the leather bags more waterresistant than they naturally are for daily use.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb plastic, spacey and waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
 
I use the Tourmaster Select soft bags and tank bag, with usually a Cortech or Nelson Rigg tail pack

a974ca79333fa214aae89399a43b5465.jpg


and usually put this stuff in the saddlebags which is good for me for weeks (indefinite really).

27c4edd4f189c0a0ce19dd7f2695b5fd.jpg


Rainsuit goes on my small luggage rack for accessibility and so it doesn't get anything else wet when I take it off.

0a2d4acc9bf9da8a0dd0cc82bee88983.jpg
 
Check out the Giant Loop Great Basin. Looks like an over stuffed horse collar and very easy to use.
 
I have the Samurider hard panniers but have not mounted them as I have not yet gone on any trips.

My wife also bought me this bag, which I honestly will probably use first if I go somewhere since I can put it on and off quickly- Wolfman Luggage
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. From all I looked at I believe I will go with the Tourmaster Selects as per The Ferret. My riding jacket is a Tourmaster and I have had it for close to 10 years and it is still in great shape so as far as quality goes looks like they have that.

I may add a Tank Bag as well. Even with my Corbin I can always put the front strap under the seat.
 
Hawkeye409_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-...000&list=1b50aa945e62c6c2eb506ab8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with stripes which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes. I prefer leather look over textil and use leather wax to make the leather bags more waterresistant than they naturally are for daily use.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb plastic, spacey and waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
Leonard,

Do the rear blinker lights have to be relocated using these Hepco and Becker hard bags?
 
G'day Paul

I use soft saddle bags made here in Australia by Andy Strapz.
If you have a look at some of the photos in the Down Under rally you can see how they sit on a CB1100.
More details on Andy's web site.

Andy Strapz

Regards NRTM
 
glynb_imp said:
Hawkeye409_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
To displace the turnsignals is not an option for me too.
So I first used these bags:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/vanucci-...000&list=1b50aa945e62c6c2eb506ab8d03c6958

but without C- Bows, a previous version.
When the zippers gave up I changed to old leather saddle bags bought together with a VT1100 and which stays with me also that Honda has passed away. Both kind of bags are connected together with stripes which can be laid under the saddle. Fehling Distance Holders prevent the bike from being damaged by them. There they are fastened with some one way plastic stripes. I prefer leather look over textil and use leather wax to make the leather bags more waterresistant than they naturally are for daily use.

On longer trips I use Ortlieb plastic, spacey and waterproofed ones which also fit this way.

2 things should be kept in mind. You sacrifice some legroom for a sozius if you mount them this way. He should be very flexible...
Also be aware not to partially cover the lock of the saddlebank under it. This is no easy job because their isn't much space for the connecting stripes. Otherwise the bank can't hardly be removed again once locked because the locking mechanism will be hindered to open up again.

Wisedrum
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
Leonard,

Do the rear blinker lights have to be relocated using these Hepco and Becker hard bags?
:biker:If it will help, I have used a many soft bags and hard bags. So far I have found the Hepco & Becker hard bags work best. I purchased the Jr. size. They are small, but tuck in well and the rack can almost be completely removed when not in use. A little expensive, but well build and completely supported. Just a thought.:beerchug:
Leonard,

Do the rear blinker lights have to be relocated using these Hepco and Becker hard bags? Yea, your right they do. They provide the bracket, wiring diagram and some pictures. It took about 15 min each side. I have used Tour Master soft bags and Ortieb bags. It really comes to what your comfortable with and if they stay water tight and dollar amount. You can buy many sets of soft bags for one set of hard bags, I just like the security of my stuff. Good luck and happy hunting. At least you have a good site for helpful suggestions.
Len
 
Paul

The Andy Strapz product used on my bike does not mess with the turn signals.
The 60 minute edit limit on#12 necessitated #14.

Regards
23rd January 2018
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I have the Samurider hard panniers but have not mounted them as I have not yet gone on any trips.

My wife also bought me this bag, which I honestly will probably use first if I go somewhere since I can put it on and off quickly- Wolfman Luggage
Hello Powerdubs

I am looking for a set of the asashi panniers and it was suggested I reach out to you: do you have a set you might consider selling?

Regards

Shane
 
I run a set of soft Cortech bags that had been on my Nighthawk 750. They're handy and look OK, but they are too far forward 'cause of the turn signals, but, I'm a solo rider, so I don't worry about it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I use the Tourmaster Select soft bags and tank bag, with usually a Cortech or Nelson Rigg tail pack

a974ca79333fa214aae89399a43b5465.jpg


and usually put this stuff in the saddlebags which is good for me for weeks (indefinite really).

27c4edd4f189c0a0ce19dd7f2695b5fd.jpg


Rainsuit goes on my small luggage rack for accessibility and so it doesn't get anything else wet when I take it off.

0a2d4acc9bf9da8a0dd0cc82bee88983.jpg
Hey everyone!
@The ferret - I really like your setup with the tourmaster bags etc. Looks good. Hopefully I can find them over here in the EU. I have a couple of questions about them however...
1. Do you have to use some kind of rack-thingy to keep the bags from touching the rear wheel? (Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fehling-Ge...pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507)

2. Also, can you let the mounting yoke be permanently mounted under the seat or do you have to take it off when you're not using the bags?

3. Which version of the tank bag do you have, the one with straps or magnets? Does it work alright? Magnets always felt a bit scary for me... ;-)

All the best from Stockholm
Anders (with a 2014 DLX)
 
Welcome to the forum, Jollygods.
 
jollygods..I don't have bag supports, doesn't need them the way I have it set up with straps on top of seat. They don't "crab". I have never tried them under the seat although others have.

I use magnetic tank bags. Work great. Have never had one blowoff. Just need to make sure bottom and magnet area is clean when you lay iton tank. Never set tank bag on ground.
 
Jollygods_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I use the Tourmaster Select soft bags and tank bag, with usually a Cortech or Nelson Rigg tail pack

a974ca79333fa214aae89399a43b5465.jpg


and usually put this stuff in the saddlebags which is good for me for weeks (indefinite really).

27c4edd4f189c0a0ce19dd7f2695b5fd.jpg


Rainsuit goes on my small luggage rack for accessibility and so it doesn't get anything else wet when I take it off.

0a2d4acc9bf9da8a0dd0cc82bee88983.jpg
Hey everyone!
@The ferret - I really like your setup with the tourmaster bags etc. Looks good. Hopefully I can find them over here in the EU. I have a couple of questions about them however...
1. Do you have to use some kind of rack-thingy to keep the bags from touching the rear wheel? (Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fehling-Ge...pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507)

2. Also, can you let the mounting yoke be permanently mounted under the seat or do you have to take it off when you're not using the bags?

3. Which version of the tank bag do you have, the one with straps or magnets? Does it work alright? Magnets always felt a bit scary for me... ;-)

All the best from Stockholm
Anders (with a 2014 DLX)
Hey everyone!
@The ferret - I really like your setup with the tourmaster bags etc. Looks good. Hopefully I can find them over here in the EU. I have a couple of questions about them however...
1. Do you have to use some kind of rack-thingy to keep the bags from touching the rear wheel? (Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fehling-Ge...pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507)

2. Also, can you let the mounting yoke be permanently mounted under the seat or do you have to take it off when you're not using the bags?

3. Which version of the tank bag do you have, the one with straps or magnets? Does it work alright? Magnets always felt a bit scary for me... ;-)

All the best from Stockholm
Anders (with a 2014 DLX)
I have some military surplus satchels for saddle bags. The straps over the seat worked. But as you suspect there is some movement with bumps, wind, etc.. I fixed that with a bungee cord stretched between the luggage rack and the rear pillion pegs. Cheap, quick, and reversible when I want to ride without the bags.
Jim
 
Back
Top