Rural Oregon Ride

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm staying with my family at our cabin up near Mt. Hood tonight. Since I didn't have any plans to fish, nor did I need to haul anything in my truck this time around it was the perfect opportunity to take the CB1100 out on a beautiful May day. So I traveled solo (well me and the CB that is) and met up with my family later on.

I stayed off of the highway for the most part and took the long way instead enjoying the rural roads and soaking up the scenery. It was the perfect day for a ride and there were lots of others out on bikes today as well. Clearly I wasn't the only one in a good mood due to the perfect weather as almost everyone was quick to flash the "bikers wave" before I could manage to get my left hand off of the grip LOL.

No surprise that the CB1100 was a real pleasure to spend the afternoon with. The pictures pretty much tell the story. However, I'll point out that I do not drink and ride so don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from the tavern shot (it's just a really cool old structure). As the last photo shows, I'm filing this ride report from the front porch of the cabin, with the sound of the ZigZag river in the background while I finally enjoy a cold one (with my riding done for the day).

a7d27d5c82e8b7ec328b68f082e411a8.jpg

Just an old barn along the way.

4ed983f2df04aeedbabf667e700a4b4a.jpg

Yet another old barn.

39bd1c13fd8340a1590340a9a7b42f0c.jpg

You can make out Mt. Hood in the background, that's the direction that I was headed.

d692c10b98ff68b9eadd2f757c910184.jpg

This is the Brightwood Tavern. Its a "log tavern" — purpose built as a tavern back in the 1930s."

4392e785214843fdd9a94b38bf7008db.jpg

This seemed like a classic looking place to take a photo with a classic looking bike.

88dbac1a726b5b6d32dd1c9f93751bab.jpg

The mandatory stop was made at the fly shop not far from the cabin.

4855a7d2e336f3ea6e953eb70fa0ee70.jpg

This shot was taken while I type out this ride report. The CB resting for the night.
 
Cool. Loved the Mt Hood shots and the center stand shot . Looks like a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and glad to see you were finally able to get outta Dodge (or Portland as it were).
 
Looks like a great ride! Those are my kind of back roads. Great pics.

Unfortunately when I visit Portland each summer, I always take my plane. Great for aerial tours of the volcanoes, but I see that I'm missing out on the ground based attractions. Hopefully I'll have more spare time to bring the CB up there when I retire in a year or so.
 
Great pictures and report, Guth. Like Ferret, I'm a bit of a sucker for mountains. Mt Hood looks pretty impressive. So did the structures you photographed.
 
Great pics from a great area. Thanks for filling my need to travel vicariously to places I have not visited in reality.
 
Tangentially related to this thread...A couple of friends of mine and I will be riding up to Kingsley, MI the first weekend in June, primarily to attend the Adams Fly Festival. The first Adams flies were tied just outside of Kingsley. Also hope to ride a bit on M22.
 
Guth_imp said:
I'm staying with my family at our cabin up near Mt. Hood tonight. Since I didn't have any plans to fish, nor did I need to haul anything in my truck this time around it was the perfect opportunity to take the CB1100 out on a beautiful May day. So I traveled solo (well me and the CB that is) and met up with my family later on.

I stayed off of the highway for the most part and took the long way instead enjoying the rural roads and soaking up the scenery. It was the perfect day for a ride and there were lots of others out on bikes today as well. Clearly I wasn't the only one in a good mood due to the perfect weather as almost everyone was quick to flash the "bikers wave" before I could manage to get my left hand off of the grip LOL.

No surprise that the CB1100 was a real pleasure to spend the afternoon with. The pictures pretty much tell the story. However, I'll point out that I do not drink and ride so don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from the tavern shot (it's just a really cool old structure). As the last photo shows, I'm filing this ride report from the front porch of the cabin, with the sound of the ZigZag river in the background while I finally enjoy a cold one (with my riding done for the day).

a7d27d5c82e8b7ec328b68f082e411a8.jpg

Just an old barn along the way.

4ed983f2df04aeedbabf667e700a4b4a.jpg

Yet another old barn.

39bd1c13fd8340a1590340a9a7b42f0c.jpg

You can make out Mt. Hood in the background, that's the direction that I was headed.

d692c10b98ff68b9eadd2f757c910184.jpg

This is the Brightwood Tavern. Its a "log tavern" — purpose built as a tavern back in the 1930s."

4392e785214843fdd9a94b38bf7008db.jpg

This seemed like a classic looking place to take a photo with a classic looking bike.

88dbac1a726b5b6d32dd1c9f93751bab.jpg

The mandatory stop was made at the fly shop not far from the cabin.

4855a7d2e336f3ea6e953eb70fa0ee70.jpg

This shot was taken while I type out this ride report. The CB resting for the night.
Guth, I have to laugh at myself. Probably due to the size of my iPad screen, when I read your first sentence your first photo was just in view. I thought to myself "That's his cabin????"

Anyway it soon became clear and I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Good one.

Cheers
 
Back
Top