Route Advice Sought - Franklin, TN to Tellico Plains, TN

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm leading a group of riders on our annual "big trip". Most of us will be coming down from Chicago, but we are picking up one rider in Franklin, TN. As it happens, she a novice rider who has been working on her skills this summer. Franklin to Tellico Plains is just about 200 miles and she should be able to handle that distance by the end of September.

I'm looking for a route that takes us from A to B with minimal fuss, but avoids the interstate as much as possible. I want to avoid super-technical roads for this leg of the trip as well. I also thought that it might be fun to break this up into two halves with a stop at a park, or a nice southern town, or a great place for lunch somewhere at the midpoint between Franklin and Tellico Plains.

I've looked at both US70 and US70S as possible roads, but if others here are more familiar with the area, I would love to have their input on routes as well as possible points-of-interest stops.

PS... Also looking for route advice from Evansville, IN to Franklin, TN in a similar vein to the above, but we won't have a novice rider with us on this leg (Hint).

Thanks in advance.
 
From memory 28 to 19 to Robbinsville to Cherohala. Stop at that little deli you like. Doesn't that cover Franklin to Tellico Plains. maybe I need to look at a map
 
Oh different Franklin lol, my bad
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Mscb.... I rec'd that and they're pretty close to one of the options I mapped out for myself. Look good. Any places to see, things to do along that route?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Mscb.... I rec'd that and they're pretty close to one of the options I mapped out for myself. Look good. Any places to see, things to do along that route?
From Tellico Plains I would assume you are planning to ride the Tale of the Dragon north east of you and you can go on down and finish up in Robbinsville at Cheoah Dam where Harrison Ford jumped from in The Fugitive.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Mscb. I'm looking forward to visiting the area again. I've been there twice before, although one of those times was only for a day.

I'm looking for something to do in or around maybe McMinnville for an hour or two of off-bike time. Fall Creek State Park is close to there, so maybe that would be a worthwhile stop, but I'm still seeking input.
 
Fall Creek Falls ,would be a decent place to stop. You may re think the tail of the dragon or cheohola skyway with a novice rider. You also might look at you tube for tips on riding the dragon by Jerry the motorman Paladino.
 
Thread starter
I have routes set up that will be enjoyable for all levels and time set aside for the more skilled/adventurous to explore on their own. I will send out a link to a video about the Dragon just to remind people of the rules, written and otherwise. I don’t recall any perilous curves on Cherohala, but maybe I’m just forgetful. Seems to me the peril there is weather and the sudden changes thereof.

Thanks for the recommendation on Fall Creek. I’ll check it out.
 
Thread starter
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can comment on the quality of TN30 from McMinville, TN to Athens, TN. Looks like a good and not to technical road on a map, but maps can deceive. Let me know.

Thanks!
 
Hwy 28 heading north out of Franklin is one of my favorite roads of all time. The last 10 miles before you dead end in to Hwy 74 is a total hoot.
 
I just spent the night in McMinville TN Wednesday on the way home from riding the Natchez Trace, we went to Telico Plains and rode the Skyway Thursday. Took 70S to hwy 30. I rode all small roads for the trip.
Absolutely loved TN 30. I was riding the sidecar rig and had no problems so I believe your friend will enjoy it, curvy but can be ridden slowly without worrying about overtaking traffic getting stupid. Good road, little traffic - did see one horse and buggy! Torrential rains and flooding while we were there, roads passable. Decatur Family Diner good eats.
Skyway not a “technical” road but fog can make things interesting. Highway 28 on a sidecar was a bit of a handful but loads of fun, quite scenic. Some nice waterfalls on hwy 64 in that area.
 
Back
Top