'Round Lake Winnepesaukee

oldscool_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just got back from the first real ride on my '13 CB11. I live about 25 miles south of Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, and have often done this ride before breakfast on a weekend morning. For those who've been to The Weirs during Bike Week here, you've seen at least the west side of the lake ride, which I often ride counterclockwise for a slower start and a fast return.

Today it was threatening to rain, temps in the mid 50's. The low clouds and sharp visibility beneath them made for dramatic views of the lake and nearby foothills. I made today's run at noon, as there is little traffic this time of year- after Labor Day but just before Leaf Peeping peaks around the middle of the month.

In Wolfboro, a cafe on the water served up a zesty stew that I enjoyed alone on the deck. The harbor was flat as a millpond as a side-wheeler excursion boat arrived making little more wake than the loon swimming nearby.

There are just enough country stores and gas stations along the way for me to stop and stuff my gloves on top of the engine while I wrap my hands around a cup of coffee when needed, and with my new CB, the gloves come out oil-free. (this is my first bike less than about 30 years old.)

The home stretch is about 30 miles of state route 11, which is mostly fast and straight, some of it alongside the lake, but there are plenty of options for alternate side loops on both sides of the lake, and I've never ridden it the same way twice. Today's side trip involved a road I'd spotted on Google maps which was marked 'closed in winter'; Winter's coming, better do it now. It turned out to be mostly paved, with steep bits at either end, and as picturesque as any.

Stayed tuned for a Round Sebago Lake report if the weather stays reasonably mild.
 
Thread starter
ride4now_imp said:
Lake Winnepesauki... is that near Salem?
ride4now- Winnepesaukee is the big lake in the middle of NH, between the mountains and the sea. About 70 miles from Salem, NH, or 80 from Salem, MA.
 
I was in N.H.last September / lived there in my youth. Road thru the lakes region every day of my trip on the way to the White Mountains. Stayed in Newport by lake sunapee . Love riding there this time of year.
 
oldscool_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Lake Winnepesauki... is that near Salem?
ride4now- Winnepesaukee is the big lake in the middle of NH, between the mountains and the sea. About 70 miles from Salem, NH, or 80 from Salem, MA.
ride4now- Winnepesaukee is the big lake in the middle of NH, between the mountains and the sea. About 70 miles from Salem, NH, or 80 from Salem, MA.
That's right. I'm thinking of a different lake... I lived in NH when I was a kid and loved it. I have a lot of great memories from up there! You live in a beautiful state!
 
I'm not familiar with the area at all, old scool, but it looks a great place for a first ride on a CB1100.

We like pictures here, so don't hesitate to take some and post them.
 
My wife's sister and brother-in-law live on lake winnepesaukee. It's beautiful up there especially this time of the year.
 
Back
Top