I have a mate who would say, “it’s a Honda. If the stuff is brown and comes out of a bottle marked ‘oil’, it’ll be fine.” Me? I’d at least ensure the oil is certified to the standard Honda specifies for the bike.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Same for me. I have used the T6 5W-40 for all my bikes for years. When new my 2013 CB1100 was reluctant to shift at times and excessively noisy, especially on hot days. First oil change I used the Honda synthetic 10W-30 and thought the problem would disappear as it broke in but problem continued. Next change was a switch to the T6 5W-40 and noise level was better and shifting stiffness disappeared. Best of all, T6 is a fraction of the cost of "motorcycle" oils. I do like the Honda oil filters as they are shown in tests to be better than most.GoldOxide_imp said:I used Rotella T6 5W40 with no known side-effects or extra noise - in fact, the lump was quieter and gear shifting remarkably smoother compared to GN-4. Sub-zero winter riding also benefited being 5W and synthetic.
I would have never considered 15W40 for the CB1100, especially for cooler riding weather.
Same for me. I have used the T6 5W-40 for all my bikes for years. When new my 2013 CB1100 was reluctant to shift at times and excessively noisy, especially on hot days. First oil change I used the Honda synthetic 10W-30 and thought the problem would disappear as it broke in but problem continued. Next change was a switch to the T6 5W-40 and noise level was better and shifting stiffness disappeared. Best of all, T6 is a fraction of the cost of "motorcycle" oils. I do like the Honda oil filters as they are shown in tests to be better than most.redbirds_imp said:Same for me. I have used the T6 5W-40 for all my bikes for years. When new my 2013 CB1100 was reluctant to shift at times and excessively noisy, especially on hot days. First oil change I used the Honda synthetic 10W-30 and thought the problem would disappear as it broke in but problem continued. Next change was a switch to the T6 5W-40 and noise level was better and shifting stiffness disappeared. Best of all, T6 is a fraction of the cost of "motorcycle" oils. I do like the Honda oil filters as they are shown in tests to be better than most.GoldOxide_imp said:I used Rotella T6 5W40 with no known side-effects or extra noise - in fact, the lump was quieter and gear shifting remarkably smoother compared to GN-4. Sub-zero winter riding also benefited being 5W and synthetic.
I would have never considered 15W40 for the CB1100, especially for cooler riding weather.
I use 15w40 in my two Honda VT750s, the Rotella T4 dino flavor. It's the perfect oil for those bikes, but those are liquid cooled V twins.GoldOxide_imp said:If I lived and rode in Texas during the warm seasons, I would consider 15W40 and experience and understand its performance on the bike. 5W40 is useful during winter and summer riding in southern Ontario.
Air cooled V-twin riders often use 15W40 even in the northern regions of North America.
Many Moto Guzzi riders use 10W60, as per the manufacturer's recommendation.
Same experience here.GoldOxide_imp said:I used Rotella T6 5W40 with no known side-effects or extra noise - in fact, the lump was quieter and gear shifting remarkably smoother compared to GN-4. Sub-zero winter riding also benefited being 5W and synthetic.
I would have never considered 15W40 for the CB1100, especially for cooler riding weather.