Rode wife's CB ... want one of my own, now. But ergos?

apehair_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi there.

New to the forum.

I made the mistake of riding my wife's 2017 CB 1100.

Holy Moly.

I've owned 45 motorcycles over the years, several brands. Cruisers, sport bikes, touring bikes. The CB is a jewel. Even the way the key turns feels like a mechanical work of art. That motor! I must be partial to heavy flywheels because I can't get enough of the decelerations on that engine! I love that it has a Rain mode (below 3500 RPM) and a Dynamic mode (4500 to 8500 RPM), with a little vibration from 3500-4500 RPM to let you know you're changing modes.

Anyway, I kinda want one, now. Problem is, the seat doesn't support my 225 lbs, and the pegs feel kinda up and forward for my 6-foot frame. So, I have a couple of questions for you guys who have been riding them a while ...

1. Would the Corbin seat, which sits me more upright, address the odd position of my legs, or would I need to move the pegs back a bit.

2. If I move the pegs back, it looks like my feet will hit the exhaust. They already do when I get on my toes. Any other options to fix the awkward leg position. Or would I just get used to it?

3. Finally, does the darned thing come in other colors? I'm guessing Missus Wife would get a little torqued if I got the same bike, so perhaps a different color would ease the pain. Dunno. Opinions?

Thanks for your help.

ape
 
So, ape, when you say 'different modes' do you mean there is some kind of electronic option? Or are you just talk talking about how you can ride it? Not heard of selectable modes on any model of the CB1100 until now.

The 2014 DLX is, in the view of some of us, the loveliest of all the CB1100s and LongRanger's is a fine example.
 
apehair: I am similar body frame as you (6' 2"). I use the stock seat found on the blue '14 CB STD - it isn't great, however, my butt needs to dismount every 75 minutes on average and that helps. So maybe it is not quite the seat. Leg room is crampy, but mostly at the 75 minute mark for me. My foot does hit the exhaust shield. If I could raise everything 3 to 4 inches, I'd be in heaven, but then the bike would look dumb. Nevertheless, I do get use to it and the pros outweigh any cons.
 
I have the opposite problem - short legs - but as a result I'm a student of motorcycle ergonomics.

The thing a Corbin would have going for it over a stock seat is a higher durometer foam, e.g. firmer. Although the stock seat might feel plush in the showroom, out on the road it is too soft and collapses under extended use, putting your hind parts in contact with the seat pan.

Like Cormanus, I wasn't aware that any CB1100 has ride-by-wire with ride modes.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So, ape, when you say 'different modes' do you mean there is some kind of electronic option? Or are you just talk talking about how you can ride it? Not heard of selectable modes on any model of the CB1100 until now.

The 2014 DLX is, in the view of some of us, the loveliest of all the CB1100s and LongRanger's is a fine example.
i say always for kidding: at our CB Honda has permanently set up a rain mode / traction control system
 
:rofl:

By the way, ape, in the US you can have any colour you like as long as it's red. Unless you buy a new tank.
 
Regarding the modes: I understood that he is addressing the RPM

@apehair: That's the problem with the CB - you should NEVER ride one. If you do, you want one :)

I ride a 2014 EX model and I'm totally satisfied.
Therefore I can not answer your questions. Still I am sure you'll enjoy your own CB
 
apehair_imp said:
Hi there.

New to the forum.

I made the mistake of riding my wife's 2017 CB 1100.

Holy Moly.

I've owned 45 motorcycles over the years, several brands. Cruisers, sport bikes, touring bikes. The CB is a jewel. Even the way the key turns feels like a mechanical work of art. That motor! I must be partial to heavy flywheels because I can't get enough of the decelerations on that engine! I love that it has a Rain mode (below 3500 RPM) and a Dynamic mode (4500 to 8500 RPM), with a little vibration from 3500-4500 RPM to let you know you're changing modes.

Anyway, I kinda want one, now. Problem is, the seat doesn't support my 225 lbs, and the pegs feel kinda up and forward for my 6-foot frame. So, I have a couple of questions for you guys who have been riding them a while ...

1. Would the Corbin seat, which sits me more upright, address the odd position of my legs, or would I need to move the pegs back a bit.

2. If I move the pegs back, it looks like my feet will hit the exhaust. They already do when I get on my toes. Any other options to fix the awkward leg position. Or would I just get used to it?

3. Finally, does the darned thing come in other colors? I'm guessing Missus Wife would get a little torqued if I got the same bike, so perhaps a different color would ease the pain. Dunno. Opinions?

Thanks for your help.

ape
if it's a 2017 you're after, it's red, and red, and they also come in red.

if you manage to find a 2014, though, you're going to get a sleek black with a different gas tank shape, an all blacked out engine, and a 4-1 exhaust instead of 4-2.

outside of that, you can visit Samurider.com | Worldwide Shipping Japanese Motorcycle Parts and shop cb1100 gas tanks they have for sale there. you can buy any of the tanks that were made available in other markets, such as the stunning blue, yellows, silvers, special editions, ect. all of that was stuff we didn't get in the US, but you can always order it with matching side covers and slap it on.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
So, ape, when you say 'different modes' do you mean there is some kind of electronic option? Or are you just talk talking about how you can ride it? Not heard of selectable modes on any model of the CB1100 until now.

The 2014 DLX is, in the view of some of us, the loveliest of all the CB1100s and LongRanger's is a fine example.
It was tongue-in-cheek at the expense of bikes that use electronics to do what we used to do with our wrists. :-)

Cormanus_imp said:
So, ape, when you say 'different modes' do you mean there is some kind of electronic option? Or are you just talk talking about how you can ride it? Not heard of selectable modes on any model of the CB1100 until now.

The 2014 DLX is, in the view of some of us, the loveliest of all the CB1100s and LongRanger's is a fine example.
Why is that? The motorcycle press raves about the 2017 as a big improvement over the 2014.

Thx,

ape
By the way, thank you all for the inputs. Really appreciate them. Good forum you have, here.

ape
Wow, that CB1100 FUGU CAFE RACER | WhiteHouse | Samurider.com site has some great custom options!

ape
 
There’s other members who own 2014’s and 2017’s. There are some detailed comparisons they’ve made on the forum.

Even with the advancements they put on the 2017, if I had to pay full MSRP I’d still take the 2014 DLX. It’s just that beautiful. it willbe/is clearly the most desired iteration of these bikes. Of course I may just have envy from my all black bike (I hate black bikes).

Lone Ranger is located in Colorado, maybe you should check it out and you can see for yourself if your wife’s bike is that much better than the DLX.
 
Cormanus Wrote:
The 2014 DLX is, in the view of some of us, the loveliest of all the CB1100s.

Apehair, both members on this site that feel like that are doing well on their medication.

2013 Standard.....Anything else is just a CB.
 
Funny how the saying 'grass is greener over there' comes to mind. I live in the UK so had the option of the blue or yellow EX or the various RS models and their colours. I chose the red EX because its lovely. I suppose there is the arguement that should you see another one out in the wild ( in the US) it will look the same BUT from everything i read on here they are rare anyway.

The other thing for Apehair I would suggest is consider changing your footwear to something more comfortable and maybe a bit less clumpy. That alone could give you a much nicer riding position for not much cash...
 
Back
Top