Rode a Thruxton R today.

kmoney_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Interesting experience and a bit of a case of don't meet your heroes. It is an awesome bike, and the Showa big piston and Ohlins rear suspension is on another planet from the CB and is amazingly composed in the city and when pushed hard.

That said, everything else, wasn't really what I hoped for. The Brembo cast monoblock brakes don't really have an amazing bite or power that I thought they would; and I honestly prefer the feel of the relatively lower spec components on my C-ABS CB. I think would change a lot if you put a higher spec master on the bike though, as I've ridden lots of bikes with the same rotor and caliper setup and an RCS master, and they are indeed amazing.

The engine wasn't as hairy as hoped it would be -- it's got great torque and spins up incredibly fast, but it's almost like riding a well-tuned Harley in that it runs out of breath so fast (6500rpm redline) and you're kind of left sitting there thinking 'hmmm, okay, I gotta shift again already...' You also don't have the same connected feeling where you can really change your line and lean angle just by minute throttle inputs when riding spiritedly like you can on the CB. This is even with TC turned off. You end up looking at the tach a lot since you cant really feel what the engine is doing. Could it be good with mods? I don't know. It would be interesting to drag race the two bikes, as my butt dyno doesn't really feel like this thing is massively faster.

Was seriously considering buying one of these, but I think that with some Ohlins Piggybacks, a cartridge conversion, and fork brace I would way rather keep my CB. Just some meaningless ramblings -- had a fair amount of mental energy tied up in thinking about the two bikes and wanted to get it out...
 
Thanks money, I was interested in the direct comparison of the two. Love my CB but have always loved the look on the Thruxton.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
As the owner of both, I'm in the other camp. The CB has been collecting dust since I bought the Thruxton R. Still a lovely bike though, never tire of looking at the CB. Different strokes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
As the owner of both, I'm in the other camp. The CB has been collecting dust since I bought the Thruxton R. Still a lovely bike though, never tire of looking at the CB. Different strokes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious is the thruxton R significantly faster overall? I'm currently looking at cycleworld's review comparison of the thruxton R and the 0-60 and quarter mile which seem almost similar to the cb1100 last time I checked (I stand corrected if I'm wrong). I do like the thruxton R a lot and I'm kinda wondering is trading the cb1100 to the thrux r worth it. I do feel that if I do trade for the thrux r I will be giving up the exclusivity of owning the cb1100...and no my garage can't fit both


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was in your boots about four months ago. I had a deposit on a Thrux R and was preparing to sell my DLX to make it happen. When the bike arrived at the dealership I sat on it and quickly realized it was too small. To me, it wasn't worth the financial hit -- about an $8k difference. A real pity, too, because it's a stunning machine and I really covet it. The 0-60 and quarter mile performance was never a concern.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I was in your boots about four months ago. I had a deposit on a Thrux R and was preparing to sell my DLX to make it happen. When the bike arrived at the dealership I sat on it and quickly realized it was too small. To me, it wasn't worth the financial hit -- about an $8k difference. A real pity, too, because it's a stunning machine and I really covet it. The 0-60 and quarter mile performance was never a concern.
That was one thing I still need to do. I need to see it in person and sit on it at the dealer.
 
Any Griso owners ride the R yet?

Not surprised you were not impressed with the brakes. The CB has darn good brakes; a high bar to reach.

But oh man, the detailing on the R is very seductive.
 
Cras_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
As the owner of both, I'm in the other camp. The CB has been collecting dust since I bought the Thruxton R. Still a lovely bike though, never tire of looking at the CB. Different strokes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious is the thruxton R significantly faster overall? I'm currently looking at cycleworld's review comparison of the thruxton R and the 0-60 and quarter mile which seem almost similar to the cb1100 last time I checked (I stand corrected if I'm wrong). I do like the thruxton R a lot and I'm kinda wondering is trading the cb1100 to the thrux r worth it. I do feel that if I do trade for the thrux r I will be giving up the exclusivity of owning the cb1100...and no my garage can't fit both


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious is the thruxton R significantly faster overall? I'm currently looking at cycleworld's review comparison of the thruxton R and the 0-60 and quarter mile which seem almost similar to the cb1100 last time I checked (I stand corrected if I'm wrong). I do like the thruxton R a lot and I'm kinda wondering is trading the cb1100 to the thrux r worth it. I do feel that if I do trade for the thrux r I will be giving up the exclusivity of owning the cb1100...and no my garage can't fit both


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't drag race so I'm not concerned with 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, but I do find the Thrux to be a far more enjoyable and engaging ride in all respects. Particularly in handling and midrange grunt, really no comparison. I can't comment on exclusivity, I don't know how to measure that. There are scores of unsold 2013 and 2014 CB's stacked at dealerships, so it's not a matter of scarcity or limited production, only sales. The CB is beautiful and built impeccably, and if its performance and style floats your boat, I'd hesitate to unload it. But the Thrux R has exceeded my expectations across the board.
Rboe_imp said:
Any Griso owners ride the R yet?

Not surprised you were not impressed with the brakes. The CB has darn good brakes; a high bar to reach.

But oh man, the detailing on the R is very seductive.
I am an ex- Griso owner, so I've completed the Griso/CB/Thrux R trifecta. My Griso was a lemon, but when it ran, it was a gem. But it's a generation or two behind the Thrux, and a tractor compared to it. That being said, the Guzzi is a gorgeous and character laden machine, with an intoxicating top end and roar.

Brakes? The Thrux R has twin Brembos and they are fantastic. There is a bit of sponginess in the lever, so the feel isn't as linear as the CB, which has excellent brakes. But theres no performance disadvantage.

The Thrux R really isn't comparable to the CB, it's a different kind of bike with a far more committed attitude and performance envelope. The Bonnie T120 is a more apt comparison.
Cras_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I was in your boots about four months ago. I had a deposit on a Thrux R and was preparing to sell my DLX to make it happen. When the bike arrived at the dealership I sat on it and quickly realized it was too small. To me, it wasn't worth the financial hit -- about an $8k difference. A real pity, too, because it's a stunning machine and I really covet it. The 0-60 and quarter mile performance was never a concern.
That was one thing I still need to do. I need to see it in person and sit on it at the dealer.
That was one thing I still need to do. I need to see it in person and sit on it at the dealer.
You need to ride it. Any bike with clip on style bars won't feel great sitting on it on the dealership floor versus a sit-up-and-beg standard like the CB.. The ergonomics of the Thrux R are performance oriented, and when riding in a spirited manner, or at highway speeds, feel natural.
 
As many know from seeing them at the '16 CB Rally, I have a techno-retro XSR900 as well as the CB. I'm not a Thruxton fan particularly.
Between the XSR (which handles, stops -ABS- AND rips!) and the CB cafe'd to my satisfaction, I"m a happy camper ;)
 
I've tried to like the XSR, but besides the yellow paint scheme, it seems like they quit designing the bike halfway through. Particularly those boxes bolted on the side of the tank, the haphazard engine detailing, and the automobile sized radiator with the fill cap sticking out the side. I like that cowl, it definitely helps. Good performance from the triple, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
I've tried to like the XSR, but besides the yellow paint scheme, it seems like they quit designing the bike halfway through. Particularly those boxes bolted on the side of the tank, the haphazard engine detailing, and the automobile sized radiator with the fill cap sticking out the side. I like that cowl, it definitely helps. Good performance from the triple, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get it without the speedblock colour scheme too (which I actually really like). It took a while to grow on me, but the grey colour scheme with the burgundy seat is actually quite attractive too.

I also don't like the boxes, and am amazed an aftermarket company hasn't come up with something to replace or cover them up.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
As many know from seeing them at the '16 CB Rally, I have a techno-retro XSR900 as well as the CB. I'm not a Thruxton fan particularly.
Between the XSR (which handles, stops -ABS- AND rips!) and the CB cafe'd to my satisfaction, I"m a happy camper ;)
As an owner of all three bikes, the CB, Thruxton R, and the XSR, I'm going to go with the XSR for everything that the other bikes don't have...

It has a raucous personality, it's fast, has tons of attitude. And it's a whole bunch of fun to ride.

I like the Powerbronze seat cowl on yours. What do you think of the fit and finish? Is the yellow a good match?
 
Things kind of go off the rails for comparisons to the CB or Thruxton R when we start bringing in bikes like the XSR, which has little but some minor cues to the past to be remotely retro. I have a Speed Triple 1050 as well, might as well throw that in there. Spectacular bike, but complimentary rather than competitive to the CB1100, and retro only in spirit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
Things kind of go off the rails for comparisons to the CB or Thruxton R when we start bringing in bikes like the XSR, which has little but some minor cues to the past to be remotely retro. I have a Speed Triple 1050 as well, might as well throw that in there. Spectacular bike, but complimentary rather than competitive to the CB1100, and retro only in spirit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as Yamaha's marketing-speak goes, the words "neoclassic" "sports heritage" and "retro" are tiresome and cliché.

The only things "retro" about the XSR are the color scheme on the 60th anniversary model, and the round headlight. Everything else,
from the bits and brackets, the alloy frame, and the engine design and architecture are as modern as can be. I almost didn't buy it because of all the hipster marketing nonsense.

That said, the CB1100 pulls off "retro" better than any bike in its class. It is real, unpretentious, and not a caricature of itself.

The Thruxton R and Bonneville T120 (I own both) while beautifully finished and executed in almost every detail, are cartoonishly "retro" with the fake Amal carbs, fake cam cover looking like it's got double overhead cams when in fact it is SOHC, and the engine covers being shaped to allude to preunit Triumphs which had cams and timing gears in the cases and a chain driven primary.
 
I'm curious, why did you buy two bikes you find 'cartoonish?' I agree with the all the marketing gobbledegook being tiresome, but it does seem to work, and in today's market, it is essential. Honda's total lack of it regarding the CB is what caused it to flatline in the market. It's a beautiful bike, heritage galore, decent performance.

Clarification on the XSR, I LOVE the Speed block paint scheme. Just not the rest of the style execution.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
I'm curious, why did you buy two bikes you find 'cartoonish?' I agree with the all the marketing gobbledegook being tiresome, but it does seem to work, and in today's market, it is essential. Honda's total lack of it regarding the CB is what caused it to flatline in the market. It's a beautiful bike, heritage galore, decent performance.

Clarification on the XSR, I LOVE the Speed block paint scheme. Just not the rest of the style execution.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regarding the Bonnie and Thruxton, a few quirky cosmetic details don't diminish what are truly phenomenal bikes, and I bought both for less than what a new Gold Wing sells for.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
As many know from seeing them at the '16 CB Rally, I have a techno-retro XSR900 as well as the CB. I'm not a Thruxton fan particularly.
Between the XSR (which handles, stops -ABS- AND rips!) and the CB cafe'd to my satisfaction, I"m a happy camper ;)
I really like the yellow retro YAMAHA graphics on that bike. Still, nothing gets it for me like the big air-cooled CB11. It's the 1969 big-block Malibu of street bikes. Very satisfying to look at, operate, and listen to.

Chip
 
Back
Top