Road Trip

Motogeezer1949_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I picked up my sons new red DLX #000095 Thursday night (too bad he couldn't get away) from Honda East in Maumee Oh. after a smooth flight aboard Allegiant from Sanford Fl. Spent the night there at the Hampton and headed south Friday at 7:30am. Had an awesome day on the road and pulled in to my friends Kimball and Donna's place in Knoxville about 5:30pm and 487 miles later. It wasn't long before Kimball had the oil and filter changed, set the sag and preloaded the front forks a little bit, dialing in 2 more full turns at the adjuster. Front feels much better, but will tell for sure as we head to Deal's Gap for breakfast. After that we'll be saying our goodbye's and I'll be heading home.
So, a little under 500 miles on her in one day. I have owned a lot of bikes in my 49 years of riding, from Cushman scooter, to a rotary valve Kawasaki 2 stroke single to an RD400, Kawi triple, a bunch of FZ1's, CBR's, GSXR'S, a sweet Moto Guzzi Jackal, even a beautiful MV Agusta.
The CB1100DLX is an amazing bike. As you all know, it gets looks and comments wherever you take it. But not only does it look exceptional, it runs that way too.
The first hundred miles I varied the speed, averaging probably about 65. Then it was 70, 75 and finally after 300 or so, settled in around 80. That put me a tad faster than traffic. I ran her up to 100 a few times. Rock solid, she runs smooth and strong. The riding position is excellent. I was surprised that wind buffeting wasn't bad, but best of all, that the seat was fine. I've read a couple comments about it not being any good, but I think somebody just needs to tone up some gluti-maximi muscles LOL.
The power is excellent and the handling and braking is first rate. I'll be heading back to central Florida via back roads through GA (mostly on old 441) for a late Sunday afternoon arrival. I'm sure my son is going to enjoy his new ride and I'm happy I was able to break it in for him and do a nice road trip at the same time. I'll let you all know how the rest of the trip goes!
 
What we do for our kids, life's rough. I'm sure he'll enjoy the bike as much as you. Welcome and have a safe trip south.
 
" I ran her up to 100 a few times"

Lol way to break her in Dad!
 
Nice one Motogeezer. Enjoy the trip and the ride.
 
Sounds like a great ride so far. I hate to keep hearing how good these things are because it keeps pushing me closer to the edge. Sounds like you have it broke in now for your son. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it. :D
 
100 hu? So much for the geezer part! Fun way to get a bike's first ride and not pay for it. Has to be a record to do the 600 mile oil change same day as getting the bike


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Pics are on my FB page. Just friend me. James Lucia
So had a great trip all together. After I left My buds I headed s on 441. Spent the night in McRae at a relatively seedy motel. Sheets were clean, bed decent, bath was good, redone in the last year or two I reckon. Plus, I went thru a record 7 very strong rainstorms. I had my Bilt 2 piece rain suit with, and some waterproof over mitts. I stayed dry through the rain EXCEPT I wore my ventilated boots. Once at the motel I put the boots and socks near the ac and they were dry next morning.
Today I left early and the weather looked like it was going to cooperate. There's a lot of great scenery on 441 thru GA. Old towns with central squares, great old brick buildings. Rows of bungalows, Italianate, occasional Spanish houses. My philosophy is to stay off interstates as much as possible, eat at mom and pop places and mostly, have the most vague of plans.
So in between towns I opened her up a bit. Did a top end run and found she pulled hard to 109, where she sputtered and coughed. I downshifted to 5th, then 4th with the same result. Speed limited, regardless of gear. Well, the first thing about the bike I don't like! Have to figure a way around that for sure.
I crossed into FL and stopped in Lake City for a bev. Rode on and took 100 thru Keystone Heights, then Palatka. I hit Lake Crescent at 12:30 and stopped for lunch at 3 Banannas on the lake. Nice big salad with blue cheese dressing. Took a pic for my FB page. The weather continued good with the exception of clouds off to the east. The usual afternoon showers over both Ormond and Daytona beaches. Rode on 17 thru Pierson, Astor then Deland, home of Stetson U. Lots of cruisers out today, mostly Harley's. wound my way to Winter Park and found the garage door open. My roommate was doing yard work - how convenient. Pulled into the empty spot next to my 1st Gen. FZ1. One of my lady friends pulled in a few minutes later looking for a ride. I begged off til another day. All I wanted to do was take a shower and chill. And call my son to tell him the bike was here. Showing a little over 1100 miles. Hope he likes the bike :) But if he doesn't? No worries, I'd be happy to take it off his hands :)
 
Good on you James. Sounds like a great trip. The speed limiter has pissed many a person off around here, but it can be dealt with my reflashing the ECU. A couple of members have done that—CIP57 and Ridem32—and there are threads about it. There's also a lot of discussion about how there's unlikely to be another way to do it.
 
Thread starter
Thx, I'll see if I can find them :)

Cormanus_imp said:
Good on you James. Sounds like a great trip. The speed limiter has pissed many a person off around here, but it can be dealt with my reflashing the ECU. A couple of members have done that—CIP57 and Ridem32—and there are threads about it. There's also a lot of discussion about how there's unlikely to be another way to do it.
 
Thread starter
Well, I thought I'd update: Erics CB has around 8500 miles on it now and it sure has been sweet. Eric has only put 5 or 6 miles on it himself. ECU has been reflashed leading to an accurate 132 mph. The bike now has a full Yoshimura 4 into 1 that sounds better all the time as the packing goes slowly away. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. There is a pulsating in the front brake, they're going to check the rotors this time. Also the same side fork seal is weeping again. Plus one of the smaller covers on the left side of the engine is starting to corrode. Going to see about getting that replaced. I put a set of flat bars on and ordered a Chic short chrome rear fender along with a matching red cafe style Sports Trunk seat from WebBike. Evidently the seat is being made, since it's supposed to be here in early April. Anyway, loving the bike a lot, had it at Daytona for all 10 days of Bike Week. Saw 3 others there, plus 2 on display at the Honda tent. My FZ-1 is at my other sons house up in the panhandle. Whenever it makes its way back here Erics promised we're going to get out and ride together. Looking forward to that. I have lots of pics on my 2 FB pages, 1 under my name: James Lucia and the other on CB1100DLX Face Book Group
Check them out if you feel like being sociable ;)
 
Glad you've had such a great time on Eric's bike. Let us know how you get on at the dealer.

By the way, I'd like to see the photos, but I chose to leave Facebook and can't see a way to view them without re-activating my account. I'm not prepared to do that. Even for you. :)
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, Thx for the comments. I'm automatically saving all my pics and vids to the cloud now, I'll just have to learn how to make them accessible.
I had a very successful visit to the dealer today. I thought they were going to check the runout of the front rotors with a dial indicator to verify one or both being warped but the service manager just took my word for it and wrote up a warranty order for new rotors, along with a new fork tube and the small left side engine cover. Said they should arrive Thursday. Sure dig Honda service. He loved the Yoshimura full system we put on it. For those wondering if making certain mods to your CB will void the warranty, it appears the answer is no ;)
 
Motogeezer, you've a choice with my cloud sites of making albums accessible to all or some. Photobucket, for example, allows you to make albums either private or public. You can post a link to a photo in a private album to a site like this and it will display OK. Or you could make the album public and link to it. You can do the same thing with Google+.

Good news about Honda's response to your warranty concerns.
 
Back
Top