Road Music

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Around town I don't listen to music but once on the open road (and there's are lot of that where I live) I plug in ear buds more often that not. In anticipation of the impending spring and summer I've decided I needed to refresh a couple of my playlists specifically used when riding. Part of that decision is driven by the fact I received a rather generous gift card from a friend for iTunes and it's been sitting around for almost two years now.

Since the majority of us all seem to gravitate towards a vintage/classic retro bike (in large part maybe due to our age group) it should come as no surprise that my list also leans in that direction.

I was never a fan of the Velvet Underground but I came across this version of Lou Reeds 'Sweet Jane' and was impressed by the lead guitar lead-in and riff midway through. It's on my list now.

Sweet Jane:

Clutch should also be represented on any road music list with the following 2 songs:

The Regulator:

Electric Worry:

Not sure why Fred Eaglesmith runs so far below the publics radar south of the Canadian border but he should be much better known than he is down here. Several of his songs are on the list now.

There are no easy roads:

Pistols and Rifles:

Aunt Kizzy's Boyz version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is one of my favorites.

All Along the Watchtower:

A one hit wonder, Billy Thorpe's 'Children of the Sun has some strong guitar work throughout.

Children of the Sun:

Blackfoot is one of those southern rock bands that drifted into obscurity long ago. Fox Chase was a solid effort for the genre that Lynyrd Skynyrd defined. I would definitely add this to any list of 'road music' being compiled.

Fox Chase:

The version of "Whiskey in the Jar' off the Celtic Spirit compilation album.

Whiskey in the Jar:

Flogging Molly's 'If I ever leave this World Alive'. I was surprised to learn that this was not a take on a traditional Irish folk song but was written recently by the band.

If I ever leave this world alive:

Obviously the additions could be endless so I'll stop now. Feel free to suggest add-ons.

Frulk
 
Lou Reed's rendition of "Sweet Jane" is comforting indeed.

Agreed that classic rock/music tends to resonate with many of the traditional riding types. It might have something to do with the '60's / '70's vibe and the memories it resurrects. It is certainly an aspect that can help us still feel human, for better - and for some unfortunately - for worse.

- - -

When I started riding I thought it would be cool to listen to rock while riding, like putting a car stereo on the handlebars with speakers somewhere. Well, that never happened. Even today when music and amplifiers are so compact now, it would not be difficult to do that - but I don't. I don't even listen in the helmet. Ironic for me, but only so when riding and not driving. There is something about being "alone" in head while riding. Maybe it is one of the few places now (other than sitting on the loo) to find some sort of zen.

The music is great, but can't offer which tunes resonate while actually riding.
 
Of that list the only two I recognize is Lou Reed (the name not the song) and All Along the Watch Tower (the song by Jimmi Hendrix). Then again I don't listen to music much. Maybe a couple 3 hours worth per year, classic rock N roll from the 60's /70's and only in the truck, not in the house, and never on the bike.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Of that list the only two I recognize is Lou Reed (the name not the song) and All Along the Watch Tower (the song by Jimmi Hendrix). Then again I don't listen to music much. Maybe a couple 3 hours worth per year, classic rock N roll from the 60's /70's and only in the truck, not in the house, and never on the bike.
Jimi's rendition of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower". :)
 
Bob Dylan sang that first? I only know Jimmi's version
 
BTW Bobby as you call him, rode a 500 Triumph and was in a wreck that almost killed him. My brother has a framed copy of the article about it in his man room.
 
The ferret_imp said:
BTW Bobby as you call him, rode a 500 Triumph and was in a wreck that almost killed him. My brother has a framed copy of the article about it in his man room.
That is amazing. Imagine the music scene today without a Bobby Dylan?

Many, many classic bands wouldn't have had the musical inspiration we take for granted today.
 
Thread starter
Gold Oxide/Ferret.....To my ears just about anybody sounds better singing the original material of Dylan, Kristofferson and Neil Young than they themselves do. But on the topic of 'All along the Watchtower'.

Bill Miller is a well known native artist with Mohican ancestry. If you're a fan of 'All Along the Watchtower' do yourself a favor and click on the link and watch Bill's interpretation with 'native chant lead in' of the song and some EPIC acoustic guitar work once in the song proper.


Song starts at 2:35 if you want to pass on the lead in.


I'd have this on my list but can't find a version to download and according to his managing company its currently not available to purchase anywhere. He also does a killah' cover of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison.

 
One of my favorite versions of All Along The Watchtower. Pat Guadagno on his Live At The City Lights Saloon album. The whole album is great.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Frulk, before Billy Thorpe became a one hit wonder in the US, he had a few hits Down Under. Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy) was one of the better known ones.

 
I have not heard that track.

- - -

Down Under classic tracks that immediately come to my Canadian mind are from groups like:

* AC/DC (who can get that wrong?)
* Men at Work (don't care, they were huge in their prime)
* Midnight Oil
* Inxs
* The Easybeats (I think a member is brother of Angus Young?)
 
Another great musician that crashed on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, Duane Allman did not survive.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top