Road Comet Windshield annoying vibration NOISE!

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi all!

Yesterday I installed my Chic Design Road Comet I screen.
Smoke aero version.







Installation was not as easy as I expected, but still less fiddly than the rear OEM rack :@

That same night I took off, at night in the pouring rain, I didn't care :)
I really wanted to ride since the bike sat more than a week in the garage because of rain in combination with salty roads...but hey the temps went up past week and the rainy days flushed the salt away (I hope).

It was only city riding, so I could't really judge the screen.

However, I immediately noticed the screen made a very annoying vibration noise as soon as I revved the engine.
It didn't took much revving, relaxed riding was enough for the noise to appear! :@

I did see that Dengie Boy added these additional support brackets
eb52d32048c2b0e9b02cb241dda9a710.jpg

But thats was because the screen bounced around at anything over 60mph...

But I think this would fix my noise issue as well since the noise went away when I pushed the screen a bit forward.

Do other owners experience the same issue?


Thx!
 
A number of us noticed a vibrating noise, especially after installing a screen. Turned out to be the connectors in the headlight shell vibrating against the bucket and/or headlight carrier (or whatever it's called

I wrapped my connector's with some thin foam sheeting I had laying around and no more vibration noise. Maybe that's your problem. Good luck

Ok here is a link to the pics I took. After I posted them, I went back and wrapped ALL the connectors and made it look a little better.

Buzzing Instrument Cluster
 
Riko_imp said:
Hi all!

Yesterday I installed my Chic Design Road Comet I screen.
Smoke aero version.







Installation was not as easy as I expected, but still less fiddly than the rear OEM rack :@

That same night I took off, at night in the pouring rain, I didn't care :)
I really wanted to ride since the bike sat more than a week in the garage because of rain in combination with salty roads...but hey the temps went up past week and the rainy days flushed the salt away (I hope).

It was only city riding, so I could't really judge the screen.

However, I immediately noticed the screen made a very annoying vibration noise as soon as I revved the engine.
It didn't took much revving, relaxed riding was enough for the noise to appear! :@

I did see that Dengie Boy added these additional support brackets
eb52d32048c2b0e9b02cb241dda9a710.jpg

But thats was because the screen bounced around at anything over 60mph...

But I think this would fix my noise issue as well since the noise went away when I pushed the screen a bit forward.

Do other owners experience the same issue?


Thx!
Riko,

I've got a RC1 with both screens. As others have reported here the touring screen doesn't work real well on the RC1. It creates a lot of buffeting and turbulence at helmet level. My CB11 is a lot more comfortable with the standard screen on it. To stop the buzzing first tape up all of the connectors in your headlight shell. Make sure your instruments are not touching the fairing, and tape the outside of your headlight bucket where it contacts the opening in the fairing. And trust me, you'll be much happier with the standard screen and it looks better too. Cheers.

Chip
 
Thread starter
How come these contacts all of a sudden became buzzy?
Just by replacing the 2 headlight bolts affected the inside of the headlight?


Am gonna test the screen today on the freeway.
I'm 1m83, whats your length?

Thx for the toptip
 
Riko_imp said:
Hi all!

Yesterday I installed my Chic Design Road Comet I screen.
Smoke aero version.







Installation was not as easy as I expected, but still less fiddly than the rear OEM rack :@

That same night I took off, at night in the pouring rain, I didn't care :)
I really wanted to ride since the bike sat more than a week in the garage because of rain in combination with salty roads...but hey the temps went up past week and the rainy days flushed the salt away (I hope).

It was only city riding, so I could't really judge the screen.

However, I immediately noticed the screen made a very annoying vibration noise as soon as I revved the engine.
It didn't took much revving, relaxed riding was enough for the noise to appear! :@

I did see that Dengie Boy added these additional support brackets
eb52d32048c2b0e9b02cb241dda9a710.jpg

But thats was because the screen bounced around at anything over 60mph...

But I think this would fix my noise issue as well since the noise went away when I pushed the screen a bit forward.

Do other owners experience the same issue?


Thx!
Yes very nice couple your black fairing with my silver fairing!
 
Thread starter
hmmm, tape, foam, none of those would help

I removed the fairing and opened up the headlight case and I could not believe taping up all those cables as some advised is a solution for the ticking noise...

So I tackled the screen and I remembered the screws at the ears of the fairing have rubber bushings, but not the centre screw at the bottom.

This could be the reason.
So I added a rubber spacer between the horn assembly and the fairing bracket:

[url=https://picoolio.net/image/IdGW]
[url=https://picoolio.net/image/IdQ3]

I also made sure the horns did not touch the fairing....I cannot remember if they touched the fairing on my first install, so this could be the reason for the noise as well.

Whatever the reason, the annoying vibration noise is gone!!:thumbsup:
No foam, no tape, no nothing!
 
If you can fit a piece of rubber in there, I would say you didn't have it installed correctly as the little bracket should fit tight against the horn brackets.

Interestingly, my RC bracket fits turned the other way from yours, and I used the original Acorn nut, albeit with a thin washer. The washer may have come with it or was OEM, but I can't remember.

The connector noise in the headlight bucket was more of a buzzing. Not a ticking noise. But I'm glad you found it and fixed it!!
 
Thread starter
But it did fit tight against the horn bracket without the rubber...there is enough thread left for a thin piece of rubber.

Next update:normal screensize, since the Aero screen makes too much wind noise :/
 
It's all good! Now we know another potential squeak, buzz or tick sound source! :)
 
I took my newly installed RC1 up to 90mph the other day and noticed no buzzing or vibration. However, and I'm sure this is normal at those speeds, the screen did shake a bit. I feel like there should be an additional supporting anchor point somewhere higher on the fairing.
 
Riko_imp said:
To be clear the vibration is solved...but there is occasional front wheel wobble at max speed.
Hi Riko, It looks like you have the "touring screen" for your road comet? Is that correct?
Thanks
PS- bike looks great!
 
Thread starter
Indeed. Thank you :)

But I will swap that touring screen for the normal height screen....wind noise is loud with the touring.
 
Back
Top