Road Comet Fairing

It is HERE! Arrived just now in good condition. Everything looks great. Can't wait to get it on the bike. Wouldn't even be writing this if I hadn't been on the forum when the mailman delivered the box. I'll be in the garage if you need me.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Rather than go for the Comet (and the associated time delay and the extra shipping/duty/tax costs to get it to the UK), I went for a Puig bikini cowl (self-painted).

Looks much the same and, I imagine, has the same wind deflection 'characteristics' as the Comet and any bikini/cowl.

At motorway/highway speeds....
Yes, more wind at the throat/shoulder level.
Yes, more noise in the helmet
Yes, a bit more buffeting than without it

But below 70mph, the above 'negatives' are not really there so a nice addition for riding the back roads. Looks dang fine too.

And truth be told, above 85mph, you're concentrating on hanging on too much any way.
Love the look of that bike.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
It is HERE! Arrived just now in good condition. Everything looks great. Can't wait to get it on the bike. Wouldn't even be writing this if I hadn't been on the forum when the mailman delivered the box. I'll be in the garage if you need me.
:rofl:
 


Ready for a ride after lunch. I like the way it looks. Installation was not difficult, but I tried my best to make it difficult. Didn't break anything and the blood wiped up quickly.
The replacement bolt for the headlight bolt was not at all what I expected, but it worked just fine.
Until I bolted it in and saw that it was okay, I was worried they'd sent me the wrong bolt set. It all seems to work fine, so I guess it is okay.

The one on the right is the replacement for the original one on the left as you look at the photo.

Original headlight bolt

Replacement headlight bolt
 
Yep, thats the mounting bolt. I never take them out even when I remove the Road Comet to install the NC EX shield for the Winter. Just leave all the mounts :)
 
Your bike looks great Nachodaddy. The fairing is a nice touch, and just perfect for that bike.
 
Well, there is no faulting the workmanship of my new Road Comet fairing. Fit and finish is perfect. It is a beautiful design, beautifully executed. Perfect for rolling up to the Starbucks or tooling around town on a nice evening. Not for long fast rides on the freeway, for sure. It felt like my helmet was trying to rip my head off at 80mph. For any long or sustained fast riding, I will switch to my Puig. It is half the price and twice as effective as the Road Comet.

Thanks guys. I really like it and I don't ride very fast for very long, so I am really happy with it. Now, to get out there and get some pictures for the forum. Wish I could find a bikini contest or a wet T-shirt contest for a back-drop. Never too old to dream.
 
The Road Comet REALLY makes those Silver side covers stand out even more. I couldn’t get used to it and had to replace them with red ones.
 
"It felt like my helmet was trying to rip my head off at 80mph"

Bummer! That would kill it for me. Still, looks nice!
 
Got mine used and the seller sent two windscreens: Stock one like yours and the "touring" version which has a nice lip. It's the only version I run on mine.
I also sprung for the red 2014 side covers, Road Comet is silver. A much better combination. :D

On a serious note, at freeway speeds I get some vibration on the upper part of the fairing. A fellow with a very similar Givi fairing on his Griso with a similar problem used some aluminum rod to make a brace from the rear edge. I'm thinking I should follow his lead and add braces to my Road Comet.
 
I noticed a bit of vibration at the lip of the Road Comet screen so placed two small foam blocks on each side between the sides of the Comet and Speedo & tach and that resolved it. I don’t have the issue with speeds of 80+ mph trying to pull my helmet off. That may be related to the riders height and where the helmet is located in the air stream.

I also almost never ride without a buff to seal the base of my helmets. I do this mainly to cut down on interior noise but it also keeps air from entering under the chin. In the summer it has the added benefit of keeping insects with stingers out.
 
Also it might be related to model of helmet
 
Good thoughts on the helmet. I have a Bilt modular in the closet I will try and see if it is different than the Sedici I am wearing. Sedici has a good seal under the chin.
 
There was a reason that I got the tall windscreen (not available anymore). It's not as sleek as the short one, but it does help with buffeting at higher speeds.

7355979709075ad9b45531d1999e1db9.jpg


56bcecd6cd03a3a361779422c0bb96c5.jpg
 
Great looking fairing and the screen, Nachodaddy. They both look good on the 'bike, but the fairing particularly suits it. Glad you're pleased. :D
 
RandyB, if they ever offer the tall screen again, I will be first in line to order one. Looks good on your bike, too.
Bazbro, thanks, to me it makes it look more "finished."
 
I also have the short screen, and like Nachodaddy, I'd love to try the taller one with the curved lip, if I ever find one for sale.
 
Back
Top