Riding Across Eastern Canada ? 12 Days on 2 Wheels

Day 3, Wednesday - Riviere du Loup, QC - Grand Falls, NB - Gaspe Peninsula and Chandler, QC, 580 kms

Google Maps

After a quick breakfast, we rode to Grand Falls, where we stopped to enjoy the beautiful scenery.

JGVDMYd.jpg


apMKuHT.jpg


DPmV7Mv.jpg


yf6E6p5.jpg


...
When I walked up to my CB, I noticed a wire sticking out of the rear Metzeler tire... and naturally, I wasn't thrilled about it.
Django hit the nail on the head right away... a tire with a tread pattern that doesn't cover the entire surface might perform well today, but tomorrow the situation could look completely different, and that’s exactly what happened, even though I’d checked it twice before setting off. I’ll never buy a tire like that again... and certainly not a Metzeler for the CB1100, becouse is too soft.

6ml9gCd.jpg


We still have about 3500 planned km or more to go, and now there’s a tire problem, and on top of that where to buy one and where to get it fitted??
...
Finally, after a couple of coffee breaks and meal, we arrived at the beautiful Gaspé Peninsula...

fsxpUi3.jpg


47Z6F8P.jpg


VeJKwfs.jpg


5vb16xM.jpg


7d0FbS0.jpg


uNyycj0.jpg

....

As we rode on, we noticed that the weather forecast for tomorrow didn't look promising!
We eventually stopped at the Chandler Motel QC and asked about a motorcycle shop, where a kind older lady helped us find a motorcycle mechanic to replace a damaged rear tire.
Without her help, I don’t know how we would have made it home.

Day 4, Thursday - Chandler, QC to Matane, QC, about 500 km

Google Maps

After a tasty breakfast at a motel restaurant....
sLQRPIV.jpg


uYG8VDz.jpg

....I rode my bike to a nearby motorcycle shop to get a tire, but they didn't have one in stock.
I was told to go a bit further to a Kawasaki dealer; I found a new tire there, though by the look of it, I estimated it was 20 years old (it had been sitting in the dark basement and was in perfect condition), but they refused to mount it because they didn't have the time....I ran my hand and fingernail over the tire, hand and fingernail clean, and I took it without even checking the date of manufacture, I had no choice.
I sent the tire back to the first shop, where they mounted it for me within an hour and a half. I also had a nice chat with their mechanic who mounted my tire.
Only then did I check the date of manufacture: 1704... :hilarious:  :huh:
The total cost came to around 400 Canadian dollars.


M4S2Vte.jpg


Sourcing and mounting the tire took us nearly five hours.
We checked the weather forecast again, the outlook for the late afternoon and the next two days was poor, with fog, rain, and temperatures around +9°C moving in.

Riding with Django is pleasure, until the winding roads begin... he is simply a master at tackling hairpin bends, curves, and U-turns on narrow routes; I just can't keep up with him, I was always left behind!  :s

We had already toured most of the picturesque Gaspé Peninsula when rain and fog suddenly set in, turning the remaining couple of hundred km into an unpleasant ride.
We eventually found a comfortable motel in Matane, QC; there, over pizza for dinner, we decided to alter our Gaspé trip plans and head straight home, a journey of about 1,300 km that would take two days to complete.
The next day will be even worse....
 
Very cool to see the routes on the maps / photos of places that I had imagined riging this time last year.
 
[quote="peterbaron" pid='274927' dateline='1783374302']
Day 2, Tuesday - Brampton, ON to Riviere du Loup, QC

There is not really much to report about 1050 km hwy sprint to Riviere du Lup, Que.
[/QUOTE]

That's a helluva day's ride. Well done.

The Gaspé Peninsula looks beautiful.
 
Cormanus said:
peterbaron said:
Day 2, Tuesday - Brampton, ON to Riviere du Loup, QC

There is not really much to report about 1050 km hwy sprint to Riviere du Lup, Que.

That's a helluva day's ride. Well done.

.......

On Sunday, Django flew nearly 7,000 air kilometers from Frankfurt to Toronto; on Monday, a short "around the block" test ride turned into 200 kilometers... and so, to avoid a sudden drop from air kilometers to ground kilometers, and purely for health reasons, we had to cover those 1,000+ kilometers on the first day of our journey  :D
 
Day 5, Friday - Matane, QC to Riviere du Loup, QC, 220 km

Google Maps

What a terrible day and ride—only 220 km, with rain, fog, and cold.
I had to turn on my hazard lights to remain visible while Django was leading.
On a two-lane road, a driver decided to overtake both motorcycles at once, despite the poor visibility... and nearly collided head-on with a police cruiser; the cops activated all their emergency lights but did not pursue the oblivious driver, bad decision!

We had an excellent dinner at a nearby restaurant.

Day 6, Saturday - Riviere du Loup, QC to Brampton, ON - 1025 km

Google Maps

It has been cold and rainy since early morning. A tasty breakfast at a nearby restaurant gave us the strength and energy for the final leg of the journey home. As we move away from the St. Lawrence River, it gets warmer, though the rain continues.
Near Montreal, we skirt the edge of a thunderstorm but press on. I can feel the raindrops hitting my gloves like sharp needles.
After a few stops for fuel, coffee, and a snack, we have just 200 km left to go. The rain has stopped, it is warm, and we no longer need our rain gear.
Finally, around 8:30 PM, we arrived home.

Every day after riding, we used moto chain lube by Repsol, its an excellent product, especially when it's raining.

ruL7CSH.jpg


The long journay has come to an end.

We also went on a few day trips, stay tuned for more updates.
 
Final couple of days don't sound much like fun.
 
Wow, that last part doesn’t seem too fun. Bet you’re glad you had more tread out back, even 22 year-old tread.

The total cost of the installed ancient tire reminds me of the tire scene in Vacation. “How much do I owe you?” “How much you got?”

Glad you both made it back safely in the rain.
 
Day 7, Sunday

Sunday was our day of rest, but Django invited my wife and me to an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant called Mandarin.
The Mandarin restaurant chain operates exclusively in Ontario.

The food was delicious – everyone can always find something to their liking.

o1zYFTZ.jpg


9SC5rq8.jpg


8d0IMZR.jpg
 
I loved the stories and the pictures, and especially for me, the memories that it brought back. I was born and grew up in Northern Maine, about 30 miles from where you visited Grand Falls NB. In 1973, at the age of 16, my cousin and I rode rwo-up on his new CB750, from Northern Maine all the way around the Gaspe with a group of adults. Incredible scenery as I recall. Then, in summer of 1977, I rode up to Rieviere du Loup again, this time headed west along the St Lawrence, all to Montreal.

So, thanks for the memories, and thanks for showing our European friend some of the best that North America has to offer!
 
We also took a few day trips around Ontario.

Day 8, Monday - Parry Sound & Muskoka Region, ON, 500 kms

First, we expored Muskoks region in Ontario.

Google Maps

78D5ELG.jpg


5Qj19hx.jpg


opR6F6A.jpg


M2vCYzT.jpg


J6zhq2T.jpg


0z4bozc.jpg


rfb30r0.jpg


EK1FsTv.jpg



5GM2jQR.jpg


This new boat you can have for U$ 70 000 000... and we were just couple of thousand short....



Day 9 & 10, Tuesday & Wednesday - Niagara-on-the-Lake and Niagara Falls

Google Maps


We rode two motorcycles to Niagara-on-the-Lake and Niagara Falls to admire the view, and along the Niagara River.
The next day, we went back by car to explore the area around the falls on foot.

cSYgjBF.jpg


90VBp6G.jpg


QU4juun.jpg


1aBcRCI.jpg


kPfwqv4.jpg


3odF6jk.jpg




Day 11, Thursday by car  - Canadian Warplane Haritage Museum, Hamilton and  Canadian Automobile museum in Oshawa

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum - Canadian Aviation History - Wartime Vintage Aircraft

You can take 1 hr flight in a Lancaster for $5,000, there are only four seats available per flight, and they are usually booked a year in advance.

A0LfNIK.jpg


UFFYLti.jpg


OfKh8X6.jpg


wodr4LN.jpg


AUtYJXC.jpg



Tj57LnM.jpg


hHiVwrQ.jpg




Canadian Automotive Museum

BqD9eEn.jpg


kfnnYFP.jpg


uKg49Mv.jpg


0zdrli0.jpg


CzRp71m.jpg


oFG9Jpg.jpg


ihb4GEq.jpg


HwEjS3a.jpg


zSa7axM.jpg


MqdBE6m.jpg


ewrQyTd.jpg


2IMvN15.jpg


2QLeY5r.jpg


nGNt3C6.jpg


BEk9Rgs.jpg


4OBWM8j.jpg


ji2GOx5.jpg



Day 12, Friday - Tobermory, ON, 500 kms

Google Maps

During this trip, both bikes almost ran out of gas 

vP0MJWq.jpg


CeD04U4.jpg





Day 12 and 13, Saturday and Sunday

On Saturday am,  we returned the rented BMW and chatted with Peter, who runs Moto Cafe.

e4qyp3o.jpg



Next we took the ferry to Toronto Islands, where we spent the rest of the day.
Django paid for lunch at a local marina.

AKNM77f.jpg



Sunday was spent packing up for Django; in the afternoon, I drove him to Toronto airport, where he flew home with Lufthansa.
I hope he enjoyed his stay in Canada and our trips together. I think we managed to carry out about 75-80% of the plan, a result dictated by the weather conditions in the Atlantic region.

:biker: :biker:
 
Thanks for sharing those pictures, Peter. You live in a lovely part of the world — particularly when it's not covered in snow.
 
Thread starter
Sunday, June 14 was a really long day. It took me about 18 hours door to door to get to Peter's place. The flight was only about 8 hours, but with the car ride, the train from Stuttgart to Frankfurt Airport (FRA), and all the waiting in between, it turned into quite a journey.

I already knew the weather forecast wasn't great, and as we touched down in Toronto, the rain had stopped, but the runway was still soaking wet.

PXL_20260614_202817550.jpg


Collecting my luggage and clearing customs went smoothly. Peter had said he'd be wearing a red CB1100 T-shirt so I could recognize him, but that wasn't really necessary. Thanks to our WhatsApp video calls, I spotted him immediately. He was waiting for me in the arrivals hall and drove me to his home in Brampton. It was great to finally meet his wonderful wife, and they had prepared a lovely room for me for the next two weeks.

I also got to meet Bella, Peter's dachshund. After a delicious dinner prepared by Peter and his wife, we took Bella for a walk while it was still daylight. I was hoping that getting some daylight and fresh air would help me adjust to the time difference and ease the jet lag.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any more photos that day. By the time I went to bed at around 11 p.m. (I guess), I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow. 

The plan for the next morning was to pick up my rental Beemer at 10:00 a.m. from Canadian Motorcycle Rentals at Flying Squirrel Motorcycle Co. (1345 Queen St. E, Toronto, ON). Little did I know what surprises were waiting for us that day.
 
Wow, what a trip! I need to see those museums... Yeah the scenery was nice too I suppose :)

I need to start saving my loose change for a ride in the Lancaster.
 
Thread starter
On Monday, June 15, we got up early, had a solid breakfast, and left at around 9:00 a.m. for the 60 km ride to Flying Squirrel Motorcycle Co., where my rental Beemer was waiting for me. Our route took us through downtown Toronto, giving me my first glimpse of the city's impressive skyline.

PXL_20260615_134341854.jpg


We arrived at Flying Squirrel Motorcycle Co. exactly on schedule, only to find an empty building. No motorcycles, no staff, no sign that a rental company had ever been there. A passer-by told us that the place had closed its doors about a month earlier.

For a moment, I was in shock. Had I been scammed? I was in Toronto, about to start a two-week motorcycle trip, but without a bike. To make matters worse, I'd already paid the entire rental fee in advance. It felt like the trip might be over before it had even begun.

It took me a while to find the phone number for Canadian Motorcycle Rentals in my emails. Peter immediately noticed that the number was in British Columbia, three time zones behind Ontario. Nevertheless, he gave it a try and left a message on the answering machine.
Fortunately, it didn't take long before Luke from Canadian Motorcycle Rentals called us back. The pickup location had been moved about a month earlier and was now at Moto Cafe. Even better, my BMW F750GS was there, fully prepared and waiting for me. What a relief!

yKtKmX3.jpg


Peter once again acted as my chauffeur and drove me to Moto Cafe, where the friendly owner was already waiting for us. My fully equipped and fully fueled BMW F750GS was standing there, ready to go.
The pickup couldn't have gone any smoother. My Garmin navigator fit perfectly into the BMW cradle, and before we finally got underway, I was treated to an excellent espresso from the café's professional espresso machine. At last, it was time to hit the road!

PXL_20260615_171750127.PORTRAIT.jpg


PXL_20260615_170751705.PORTRAIT.jpg


Back at Peter's place, we decided to go for a short test ride. Peter hopped on his little Kawasaki Z650RS and led the way.
The Beemer ran like a charm, and I got my first impression of rural Ontario. Well, what can I say? Ontario is flat, and the roads are straight.  :)

DSCF6617.jpg


At that moment, I realized that this trip would be very different from riding in Europe. It wasn't going to be about technically demanding twisty roads. Instead, it would be about the vast open spaces, the beautiful landscapes, and experiencing the sheer scale of Canada.


The real journey was about to begin. Based on the latest weather forecast, Peter suggested we leave for the Gaspé Peninsula the following morning. Our route would take us along the mighty St. Lawrence River—a perfect start to the adventure that lay ahead.

One final note: That evening I sent Luke at Canadian Motorcycle Rentals an email, explaining that I had never been informed about the change of the pickup location. It had certainly caused us quite a scare and a fair amount of unnecessary hassle.

To his credit, he responded very generously. As compensation, he upgraded my booking with the additional 1,200 km package free of charge. I really appreciated that gesture.
 
Wow, what a fright to arrive at where you thought the pickup was only to find an empty building, but at least Luke responded right quick enough and gave you the extra kilometers. Looking forward to more.
 
Thread starter
The Bike – BMW F750GS

For my two-week tour through Eastern Canada, Canadian Motorcycle Rentals provided me with a well-equipped BMW F750GS. Despite its name, the bike is powered by BMW's 853 cc parallel-twin engine, producing 77 hp (57 kW) and 83 Nm of torque. The engine delivers its power very smoothly and proved to be an excellent companion for long touring days.

My rental bike came with a generous list of factory options:

  • 853 cc parallel-twin engine
  • 77 hp (57 kW)
  • Heated grips
  • Gear Shift Assistant Pro (clutchless upshifts and automatic throttle blipping on downshifts)
  • Dynamic ESA (electronically adjustable rear suspension)
  • Riding Modes Pro
  • ABS Pro
  • Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
  • BMW Navigator cradle, which perfectly accepted my Garmin navigation unit adapter
  • Cruise Control

Instead of the original BMW luggage system, the bike was fitted with a set of sturdy aftermarket aluminium panniers. They turned out to be an excellent choice for this trip. One nice surprise was that Peter's cooler bag fitted perfectly into the left pannier, making it ideal for carrying drinks and food during our daily rides.

The F750GS is not a sports bike, nor does it pretend to be one. It is a comfortable, confidence-inspiring touring motorcycle that feels light once underway and remains easy to handle even when fully loaded.

After 5,142 kilometres, I came away with a very positive impression. The bike was comfortable, economical, reliable, and had more than enough power for Canadian highways and secondary roads. Would I buy one? Probably not. But would I rent one again for another long-distance tour? Absolutely!

And yes - I never had any trouble keeping up with Peter.  ;)
 
Thread starter
Ah, I almost forgot to mention that the Beemer had cruise control. It came in very handy on Ontario's long, straight highways with their strict speed limits.
I added it to the features list above.
 
Django said:
Ah, I almost forgot to mention that the Beemer had cruise control. It came in very handy on Ontario's long, straight highways with their strict speed limits.
I added it to the features list above.

Once you get used to it, it's absence is noticeable.
 
Back
Top