Riding Across Eastern Canada ? 12 Days on 2 Wheels

Django

Road warrior
Thread starter
Dear Forum Community,

I’m very happy to announce another road trip to North America—this time to Canada.

The idea actually came from Peter Baron after I mentioned some concerns about visiting the U.S. at the moment (reasons beyond the scope of this forum). He kindly invited me to join him on a road trip from Toronto to the Atlantic Ocean—just think about that! It’s amazing how this forum connects real people in real life. You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda!
After a bit of planning, we found a two-week window at the end of June. 

So far, I’ve:
  • applied for an eTA
  • booked my flight from Germany to Toronto
  • put down a deposit on a rental bike in Toronto—a BMW F750GS
With the little Beemer, I hope I can keep up with Peter ?

Since we have so many friends here on the forum, we thought it would be great to share our adventure with you and let you come along for the ride.
We’re planning a mix of day trips and one longer ride out to the Atlantic coast—details are still coming together.

Many thanks to Peter for making this possible!

Looking forward to sharing this adventure with you.
 
Outstanding! We are looking forward to the first of many installments. David
 
Django said:
Dear Forum Community,

  • put down a deposit on a rental bike in Toronto—a BMW F750GS
With the little Beemer, I hope I can keep up with Peter ?

Not slighting Peter's riding skills, but I don't think you'll have any difficulty keeping up with a CB1100 riding an F750GS.  I got to ride one from Portland to LA...it's plenty peppy.

But, Peter, that's awesome that you'll be able to show Django your proverbial neck of the woods.  It's still an area I want to visit despite my aborted attempt last summer.
 
Everything Django wrote is true. I look forward to meeting you in person at the Toronto airport ... :biker:  + :biker: = four wheels.

We'll start by disassembeling the rented BMW to check that everything has been assambled correctly... and then we're on our way....
 
Sensational! peterbaron and Django, I join others in looking forward to your reports.
 
pdedse said:
I don't think you'll have any difficulty keeping up with a CB1100 riding an F750GS.  I got to ride one from Portland to LA...it's plenty peppy.

I haven't tried the F750GS, but I rented a F700GS once for a 2-day ride north of SF.  It was a fun trip, although I didn't fall in love with the bike.  I've read that the F750GS is quite improved from the F700GS.  Will be looking forward to the trip report!

Apologies for distracting from your thread, but I've been hoping for an excuse to share a photo from that ride, taken near sunset on Hwy 20 between Fort Bragg and Willits.  Thank you for indulging me!  :D

[attachment=1350]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20231112_004846592.webp
    PXL_20231112_004846592.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
I am pleased to inform you that I just finished my first ever Face Time with Django.
Everything went very smoothly and in a very friendly athmosphere. 
We discussed some aspects of his visit and trips he would like to make during his time in Canada.... he is the boss, not me...
Ferret :D , lots of miles on  :biker: :biker:
 
Great plan for a ride! My step-dad was from Canada and travelled in the opposite direction when he was a young buck, eventually turning south and settling in California. He and Mom tripped over each other in a bar one evening, and the rest is history.

Anyway... As Pdedse said, the F750GS is a fine bike for long-distance travel. He and I both have experience on them. In fact, he and I are two more friends broght together by this forum, and his rental was to come to my neck of the woods. He and I have both ridden rented F750GS bikes (not at the same time), and I found it very comfortable and powerful enough for long-distance. The only thing I was troubled with, slightly, was helmet buffeting due to the windsield position. I'm 5'8" for reference. Not a deal breaker. Initially, I was also bewildered by the complexity by BMW's digital dash, but learned it's basic functions well enough to know how fast I was going, and how much gas I had. Once you learn it, it's fairly intuitive, but if you're not a tech fan, spend some time getting used to it.

I'd love to do a long-distance trip! Superbird is just itching to take me somewhere... will be following your journey!
 
Django, PB, so sorry I am not able to join you on that ride as I will be out of the country during that time. My holidays were booked a year in advance (wanting to avoid the FIFA World Cup) so I cannot change it.
Wish both of you a great & enjoyable ride/trip down east - Enjoy the lobsters & beers  :biker: :biker:
 
peterbaron said:
I am pleased to inform you that I just finished my first ever Face Time with Django.
Everything went very smoothly and in a very friendly athmosphere. 
We discussed some aspects of his visit and trips he would like to make during his time in Canada.... he is the boss, not me...
Ferret :D , lots of miles on  :biker: :biker:

Hope you guys have a great trip and rack up lots of miles, leaving me a much distant 3rd  :biker: :biker: :biker:
 
Yes indeed! Have a fabulous ride, Django and peterbaron. Take lots of photos, and post them with a write up.
 
the Ferret said:
peterbaron said:
I am pleased to inform you that I just finished my first ever Face Time with Django.
Everything went very smoothly and in a very friendly athmosphere. 
We discussed some aspects of his visit and trips he would like to make during his time in Canada.... he is the boss, not me...
Ferret :D , lots of miles on  :biker: :biker:

Hope you guys have a great trip and rack up lots of miles, leaving me a much distant 3rd  :biker: :biker: :biker:
Ferret, both bikes have installed miles cheater  :P
 
I am watching this and enjoying the progress. I know PB will be a wonderful host and show Django a great time in beautiful Canada. I wish I were still young enough to do these things, but I will share your fun on the Forum. Lots of pictures, guys. Thanks. :biker:
 
A short technical update..
My Metzeler rear tire is being replaced due to unexpected thread wear…
Had to buy the tire from one shop and take it for replacement to another.
At this moment we are in Quebec province near Gaspe.
Cold today, 12*C and rain tomorrow::((
No matter what, Dijango and I are in good spirits..
We also had a problem with picking up Django’s rental BMW due to location change, but we managed this as well.
.
 
Today, on our way back home , we only covered ~ 200 km due to rain, drizzle, fog, cold/+ 9*C,  wind, bad roads with many cracks and stupid drivers, some without any lights or DTRL only or no tails. This bad weather combination was blown in from the Atlantic Ocean.
Tomorrow is our last, 1050 kms jump of this altered journey due to bad weather .
Pics and longer story later.
We still have some other, shorter trips scheduled after this weekend.
 
You are both seasoned riders. Being together is enough. Trust your instincts and do be safe. Looking forward to those pictures. I have been watching CNN in hopes you two may have created some excitement along the way. Tomorrow may be the day. David :)
 
Back
Top