Ridin' the Rockies

WhatYes_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am lucky to live on the western slope of Colorado, about an hour from Telluride, 2 hours from Durango and about 2.5 hours from Aspen. Needless to say, riding out here is some of the best on the planet.

Have only have my 2013 CB for about a year and a half, and spent the first half year correcting issues with a rusted gas tank and rusted and unusable fuel pump - which the seller in Orlando never disclosed. :dodgy:

BUT... she runs like a champ now and after 50 years of riding, I can honestly say she's my favorite of all the bikes I've owned and likely the last I'll own. Have customized her with a Dart Marlin flyscreen fairing, dual PIAA superloud horns, LED headlight, hiway pegs, USB charger and soft saddlebags and tank bag. I also have a large GIVI hardshell trunk I can put on for long trips.

Treated myself to an overnight trip to Canon City, 200 miles away, recently. Canon City sits right next to the Royal Gorge, an immensely impressive place. The ride, along 2 lane Hwy 50, was picture perfect and... pics attached.

If anyone is interested in riding in the Rockies next summer, p.m. me.
 
Nice pics :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How lucky you are to be so close to the Rockies.
I had to fly clear across Canada to ride in the Canadian Rockies in 2010.
 
Very lovely area and great looking bike...glad you got it sorted out and can enjoy the ride!
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Nice bike, pics and story but tank stickers need to go:sleepy:
I agree! What's the best way to remove them safely without damaging the paint?
peterbaron_imp said:
Nice bike, pics and story but tank stickers need to go:sleepy:
Ahhh, found it! Taking care of it today:

 
Gorgeous

Offroad and I traveled out there and rode around riding passes and canyons for a week with forum member LongRanger a couple years ago.

Mt Evans

c8df603286751a248c508a4ae00b6bbf.jpg


unexpected hail storm

83b731e3b74797cfc9cb0e98a16c4009.jpg


Pikes Peak

58e0361f7f3522de7ed73c7700ed725b.jpg


c90d0554574690a698f3b91f0d51ac80.jpg


878fc2ffa46a82d642140a7b81349199.jpg


If anyone is interested in a great place to ride you should take WhatYes up on his offer
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Gorgeous

Offroad and I traveled out there and rode around riding passes and canyons for a week with forum member LongRanger a couple years ago.

Mt Evans

c8df603286751a248c508a4ae00b6bbf.jpg


unexpected hail storm

83b731e3b74797cfc9cb0e98a16c4009.jpg


Pikes Peak

58e0361f7f3522de7ed73c7700ed725b.jpg


c90d0554574690a698f3b91f0d51ac80.jpg


878fc2ffa46a82d642140a7b81349199.jpg


If anyone is interested in a great place to ride you should take WhatYes up on his offer
Oh man, I do NOT envy you riding on those winter roads! That's the drawback here, I have to put the bike away typically for 5 months or so during the winter.

Did you by chance ride the Million Dollar highway that runs from Ouray to Durango? If so you were 30 minutes from me. I ride that road as many times as possible during the summer as a lunchtime run down to Silverton. AMAZING!

And yes, feel free to take me up on the offer, folks. I had 5 riders from Vegas come in to ride this spring, although none were on CBs.
mpuhl_imp said:
Curious what side bags you're using....

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I found them on ebay, bought new, although they are a discontinued model:

TourMaster Select Saddle Bags 600 Denier Carbolex 15 x 11 x 5.5 Saddlebags

But you should still be able to find them. I didn't have to relocate the turn signals to use them. The small tail bag is a Nelson Rigg.

These saddlebags might work also:

28L - Pantheon Medium Quick Mount Triumph Bonneville T120 Motorcycle Saddlebags
peterbaron_imp said:
Nice bike, pics and story but tank stickers need to go:sleepy:
Just got 'em off! Man, what a difference. Shoulda done that first thing a year + ago.
 
WhatYes_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Gorgeous

Offroad and I traveled out there and rode around riding passes and canyons for a week with forum member LongRanger a couple years ago.

Mt Evans

c8df603286751a248c508a4ae00b6bbf.jpg


unexpected hail storm

83b731e3b74797cfc9cb0e98a16c4009.jpg


Pikes Peak

58e0361f7f3522de7ed73c7700ed725b.jpg


c90d0554574690a698f3b91f0d51ac80.jpg


878fc2ffa46a82d642140a7b81349199.jpg


If anyone is interested in a great place to ride you should take WhatYes up on his offer
Oh man, I do NOT envy you riding on those winter roads! That's the drawback here, I have to put the bike away typically for 5 months or so during the winter.

Did you by chance ride the Million Dollar highway that runs from Ouray to Durango? If so you were 30 minutes from me. I ride that road as many times as possible during the summer as a lunchtime run down to Silverton. AMAZING!

And yes, feel free to take me up on the offer, folks. I had 5 riders from Vegas come in to ride this spring, although none were on CBs.
mpuhl_imp said:
Curious what side bags you're using....

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I found them on ebay, bought new, although they are a discontinued model:

TourMaster Select Saddle Bags 600 Denier Carbolex 15 x 11 x 5.5 Saddlebags

But you should still be able to find them. I didn't have to relocate the turn signals to use them. The small tail bag is a Nelson Rigg.

These saddlebags might work also:

28L - Pantheon Medium Quick Mount Triumph Bonneville T120 Motorcycle Saddlebags
peterbaron_imp said:
Nice bike, pics and story but tank stickers need to go:sleepy:
Just got 'em off! Man, what a difference. Shoulda done that first thing a year + ago.
LOl that winter road was in June or July can't remember what month we were out there. I think we were coming down from Freemont Pass. It was in the 90's when we got back down off the mountain.

We did not do the million Dollar Highway, we were north of that near Denver.

Here's the thread from our ride. Apparently it was in July 2017

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/newreply.php?tid=18873&pid=341164
 
Goldwing Dave and I rode this area, and Canon City in particular. Skyline Drive is a fun little detour there - a one-laner that has some dinosaur relics and a great view of the valley.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Goldwing Dave and I rode this area, and Canon City in particular. Skyline Drive is a fun little detour there - a one-laner that has some dinosaur relics and a great view of the valley.
Yes, I rode that on my trip a few weeks ago. I have no fear whatsoever of heights, and regularly ride the million dollar hwy between Ouray and Silverton, often referred to as one of America's most dangerous roads, but Skyline drive actually mildly terrified me.
 
Yep. There's a couple nasty switchbacks on that narrow road with no guardrail and, hence, zero room for error.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Yep. There's a couple nasty switchbacks on that narrow road with no guardrail and, hence, zero room for error.
The biggest thing for me was going down off the ridge, I had to follow cars that were absolutely crawling, so I had to balance the bike at about 1 mph on top of that razor-thin precipice. I'd stop every minute or so to let the cars get ahead a bit so I could at least coast down a bit faster, thus making it easier to balance the bike.
And if anyone wants to see what we're talking about:

 
Neat road. Hopefully I can do that someday
 
Thread starter
Okay folks, so here are a few more for you:

1) The "Million Dollar Highway" aka the Red Mountain pass, which runs from Ouray south thru Silverton and then to Durango. From my house to Silverton, roughly a 1.5 hour ride, is one of my favorite daytime lunch runs:


2) A video I filmed some years ago of the 235 mile loop around Gateway Canyon on the extreme western side of Colorado. In the middle of the ride is the Gateway Canyon Resort, owned by the founder of the Discovery Channel, which features the owner's personal collection of roughly 50 vintage, like new vehicles, including some bikes. BTW, the resort - ALONG WITH THE COLLECTION! - is for sale for about $280 million! (side note, all music on my video here is original, written and performed by me)

 
Wow impressive. I'm jealous of your musical ability

Video was cool too
 
Back
Top