Rider stopped at gunpoint gets $65,000.00

I got stopped at gunpoint by the Federales in Baja. He was a 16-year old Army private with an M-16 and wanted to know how much my K1200RS cost, but he didn't speak a word of English. Si senor! It was a remote checkpoint and they were checking for weapons and illicit drugs.
 
Guys like that give good cops the fits as it paints the whole profession in a very bad light. They need to police their own.
 
So the sheriff's office says pointing a gun at a citizen is not a use of force? Remind me not to move to Washington.
 
Not an easy subject...few opinions:

"It all depends upon the standard you are using"

"Police are the law keepers of the society. Their job is to keep the situation under control, to catch the culprit and control violence but their job is not to punish. They are not the authority that decides which person deserves to be killed or punished. The police force is accountable under the law and constitution and they too cannot take the law in their own hands. Yet there are cases all over the world where police has been known to step beyond their traditional role. Some forces have occasionally put a toe across the line but others have gone many steps across the line."

"The duty of police officers around the world is to uphold the security of the nation by combating crime and ensuring that others are complying to the federal, state, and local rules and laws. Some countries are more apt for violence and mayhem and therefore more prepared to deal with it—usually countries that are overrun with cartels and underworlds. These people put their lives on the line to ensure the safety of every citizen of their respective country, and we’d like to thank them all for their sacrifice and service."
.............
"......Shocking as it may seem but the USA police tops Wonderlist as the country with the most brutal police force particularly after 9/11. The aftermath of the beginning of this war against terrorism, gave the police in the country immunity against legal and civil rights of people (unconstitutionally in few cases). Recently, there have been many killings because the police “doubted” criminal activity. Innocent people are killed or executed after biased trial because the police shows impunity with respect to civil rights when it comes to their fight against terrorism. Most ...."

Police brutality in the United States - Wikipedia


"Top Ten Most Brutal and Deadly Police Force in the World:
10. USA"
American police forces aren’t as bad as those of most of the more authoritarian countries on this list, but their recent (as well as more historical) behavior is still enough to raise a few eyebrows.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"NYPD is the 2nd most highly trained police forces in the World":

"Yes you’ve guessed it, New York’s Finest and America’s highly trained police forces which has begun to exist since 1845. Almost two and a half centuries in service to the community and practicing law enforcement as their prime objective, purpose and mission and you can be sure that throughout the years, they’ve trained individuals to the highest of training standards that a Municipal police station can offer. Their responsibility to protect a world pool of people which covers at least 8,405,000 people states in itself the amount of Highly Trained officer’s its municipal offices would have needed to breed in order to live up to the “protect and defend” mission of their duties.

Due to NYPD‘s training, the results of their beautiful work as policemen has seen an 80% drop in violent crimes thus far which is outstanding! They have implemented various different effective programs into the NYPD and which has been the ultimate result of Real Law Enforcement in motion.

What makes NYPD second highly trained police forces in the world is simply due to their structure of training divisions to police officers such as: Scholarship opportunities, Recruit Training, Physical and tactics training, Driver Education Training, Chemical awareness training, Tactical training, Computer training (digital forensics), Civilian training, Criminal investigations, instructor development or simply Human Resources within the NYPD which all amounts to their strategies of graduating the New York’s finest by the decade. They also specialize in a wide array of Emergency Services units, K9, Harbor patrol, Air Support, Anti-Terrorism, Bomb Squads, narcotics and public transportation. Which covers more or less most of the areas of where crime lurks in New York."
 
It just goes to show that, as in all walks of life, there are good police officers and bad police officers and likely others covering the whole spectrum in between. Rboe is the right on the money when he says it is a pity the police are not better at policing their own and that government—which, after all, funds them on our behalf—doesn't do a great deal more to insist on it. As an example, there's been a case in Queensland reported this week where an officer accessed a police database on behalf of his mate to help the said mate track down his ex who had taken out an apprehended violence order against him. It has taken a couple of years for the police to act against this officer and, as far as I know, there has been no apology to the victim.

For me the point is that we repose great responsibility and trust in the police and they are duty bound to act with the highest standards of integrity. The bar should be set high and, when they fail to clear it, there should be significant consequences.

It must be very galling for officers like 2017EX when colleagues who act in ways that brings the whole force into disrepute.
 
We’re vearing a bit off topic here so I expect a moderator to come along shortly and remind us that we have a very narrow focus on this site. But before they do. No credible reference for some of the rankings as noted above. In fact, the article quoted above were the US is listed as #10 for most brutal police states has zero footnotes to lend any reputable standing to it and is credited to “Ryan”. Not even a last name or any academia credentials are listed. Just Ryan. Another site had the US at number #1. Ahead of Somalia (Somalia actually has a police force?), Haiti, Egypt, Iran etc. etc. How about we agree there are bad cops everywhere regardless of what country you’re currently standing in and leave it at that.
 
Sloppy, plain-clothed, gun-pointing male ... I'd be startled too. I am somewhat surprised the rider didn't ask (too busy I suppose), or the officer did not present a badge. It would have helped a bit early during the drama.
 
Frulk_imp said:
We’re vearing a bit off topic here so I expect a moderator to come along shortly and remind us that we have a very narrow focus on this site. But before they do. No credible reference for some of the rankings as noted above. In fact, the article quoted above were the US is listed as #10 for most brutal police states has zero footnotes to lend any reputable standing to it and is credited to “Ryan”. Not even a last name or any academia credentials are listed. Just Ryan. Another site had the US at number #1. Ahead of Somalia (Somalia actually has a police force?), Haiti, Egypt, Iran etc. etc. How about we agree there are bad cops everywhere regardless of what country you’re currently standing in and leave it at that.
How about we agree there an overwhelmingly amount of good cops here and leave it at that.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I’m good with that. Ferret....why do we have a 60 minute limit on editing our posts?
I'll answer on Ferret's behalf.

It's because, back in the day when there was no limit, a member worked his way through nearly all of his/her posts and deleted them thereby making incomprehensible the discussion on quite a few threads. As a result, Guth decided to impose a time limit on editing posts.

If all else fails you can always correct something you've said in a subsequent post. If you find you want to correct or edit something after 60 minutes, Ferret and I are happy to help. I guess, though, we reserve our right to refuse if, in our view, the request is in some way unreasonable.

PS, I don't want to protract this discussion; but, PeterBaron, perhaps you could provide links to the articles you quoted from?
 
As per your request:
..copied everyone, the good, the bad and the ugly with absolutely no comments at all, as this is not an easy subject...some members starts commenting as a result of their democratic freedom to express different views...

Used google search, here are some:

Top 10 Countries With The Worst Police Brutality - Wonderslist

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/...-in-the-world-number-1-is-shocking.453445405/

Police brutality - Wikipedia
Police brutality in the United States - Wikipedia


"true virtue is not afraid of criticism" I.K.

I am sorry for these members who feel disturbing after reading google search and opinions of others.....
 
As I said in previous posts recently, I am honorably retired LE with 29 years on the job. The rider in the video may have been hot dogging which resulted in the contact. HOWEVER, there is NO justification for making contact with gun drawn and pointed at the rider for only a traffic violation. In fact there are very specific rules, and very limited circumstances that allow any Officer to draw and point his or her weapon at anyone.

Those of us that have done this job properly, hate to see this kind of behavior, cringe when we see it, and know that it is a black eye for all of us that do it the right way. Unfortunately there will always be some in every profession that do not do their jobs correctly. I have major concerns about what the video shows, and I have no doubt that any other good cop would as well. I could quote chapter and verse about everything that is wrong with what this Deputy did, but suffice to say what I saw in the video excludes me from considering him a professional brother Officer.
 
Cormanus, the links in Peters original post worked fine. That isn't what I took issue with. It's what they are linked to. 2 of the 3 original links bring you to nothing more than "click bait" lists. Unsubstantiated, unresearched and unsupported internet opinion pieces (inserted into a discussion as factual) that lack reputable data sets, metrics, peer scrutiny etc. They're inserting a non-value added geo-political spin to a discussion about a local cop from Washington state hassling/threatening a motorcyclist.

I take no issue with the wiki links as I reference wiki myself on occasion (but understanding that a grain of salt must be taken with it).


I have nothing else to add to this subject and will move on now to something more important...like the aerodynamic instability RLETS impart at triple digit speeds.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Cormanus, the links in Peters original post worked fine. That isn't what I took issue with. It's what they are linked to. 2 of the 3 original links bring you to nothing more than "click bait" lists. Unsubstantiated, unresearched and unsupported internet opinion pieces (inserted into a discussion as factual) that lack reputable data sets, metrics, peer scrutiny etc. They're inserting a non-value added geo-political spin to a discussion about a local cop from Washington state hassling/threatening a motorcyclist.

I take no issue with the wiki links as I reference wiki myself on occasion (but understanding that a grain of salt must be taken with it).


I have nothing else to add to this subject and will move on now to something more important...like the aerodynamic instability RLETS impart at triple digit speeds.
Do the RLETs fill with air at those high velocities?
 
Frulk_imp said:
Cormanus, the links in Peters original post worked fine. That isn't what I took issue with. It's what they are linked to. 2 of the 3 original links bring you to nothing more than "click bait" lists. Unsubstantiated, unresearched and unsupported internet opinion pieces (inserted into a discussion as factual) that lack reputable data sets, metrics, peer scrutiny etc. They're inserting a non-value added geo-political spin to a discussion about a local cop from Washington state hassling/threatening a motorcyclist.

I take no issue with the wiki links as I reference wiki myself on occasion (but understanding that a grain of salt must be taken with it).


I have nothing else to add to this subject and will move on now to something more important...like the aerodynamic instability RLETS impart at triple digit speeds.
The only link I could find in Peter's original post was to a wikipedia article which did not seem to me to support the other material quoted which, on a quick search, could not locate. Having now followed the links, they are, as you say, click bait and not worthy either of reading or quoting.

You are right to return to pondering RLETs; it's way more important and far less contentious.

The story quoted is of mild interest, but I suspect all that needs to be said now has been.
 
Back
Top