Ride the Lightning!

Looks like the home-grown rides some our racers use for pit bikes. The same kinds of guys who gut out an old school bus and make a race car hauler out of it.

And drink moonshine. Which is why I like them.

Actually, been meaning to build something like that. I've talked with a lot of guys who have made motorized cruisers. Just need to find some time...
 
Hmm... You'd have to build something like that. Based on their Facebook and Twitter, they aren't much of a going concern.
 
Brings back good memories of my powder blue Schwinn Stingray with a springer front end. Man, there’s no telling what amount of coin I would be willing to drop if I could find my original bike and verify its provenance no matter the condition it was in.

But back to the subject of this discussion. If there was one available at a dealer I might just be interested. To me it has an exceptionally high cool factor.
 
I was already too old when the Stingray came out so it has no meaning to me. 2 years after it was introduced i was riding my first street motorcycle.
 
I ran into a group of moto-bicyclists in Santa Monica and had a lengthy discussion with them. They had all started with a fairly cheap beach cruiser, and had purchased the $150ish 49cc engine kits from Ebay. Having gotten hooked, they had each replaced the shoddy parts from the kits, one claiming to have over $1000 total in his project bike. I've warned my wife and some of the neighbors that I will be embarking on such a project soon.

My first bike was a Stingray clone. The richer kids had the genuine articles. Today, I see them in the pits at races, and their riders are given god-like status.

My second bike was the ill-fated mid-70s Huffy Mono-Shock. Apparently they are in museums now, as this one is, in the same color blue as mine was, but it was the closest thing to a dirt bike you could buy without being a total poser and buying the more elaborate models with plastic number plates, fenders and gas tanks. You'd get bullied to the point of pushing it off a cliff into the ocean in my neighborhood back then.
 
Back
Top