Review: SuperBrace & Photos of an Inside Tour of the SuperBrace Facility

rjk555_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Review posted in honor of the forum's 1-Year anniversary:

Like many, I purchased a SuperBrace for the CB1100. Since I was local, I purchased it on-site and Scott, the proprietor, was kind enough to install it for me. The benefits of this addition are subjective, but worth it in my opinion. Compared to my other ride - a Honda 919 - I perceived a looseness while riding the CB1100 at speed or in the twisties. The brace helped with the looseness while riding at speed. I haven't tested it out while in the twisties. I'll update this report after doing so. However, I'm glad for this accessory.

Here is the brace. It's attractive and matches the lines of the CB1100 well. As an FYI, I have the ABS CB1100. Others on this forum asked if the SuperBrace interferes with the ABS cables. The answer is no - everything works fine.



[url=http://s835.photobucket.com/user/RobertKangLaw/media/Personal%20Album/Motorcycle/Superbrace2_zps19f2f21e.jpg.html]

Scott was kind enough to give me an inside tour of his facility. Here are photos from that tour:

(1) Raw Material
SuperBraces are carved from solid aluminum billet, which explains their rigidity. Here are some bricks of the stuff, and an unpolished SuperBrace.

[url=http://s835.photobucket.com/user/RobertKangLaw/media/Personal%20Album/Motorcycle/Superbrace3_zpsc1d94d59.jpg.html]

(2) Manufacturing Process
Next, here is a photo of the manufacturing process. These braces are carved to very minute tolerances. I have a video of this equipment at work, but am having trouble posting it. Will post when I figure it out.

[url=http://s835.photobucket.com/user/RobertKangLaw/media/Personal%20Album/Motorcycle/Superbrace4_zps1015e9a6.jpg.html]

(3) CB1100-Specific Photos
Finally, here are photos of the very equipment that carved the SuperBraces for our CB1100s.

[url=http://s835.photobucket.com/user/RobertKangLaw/media/Personal%20Album/Motorcycle/Superbrace6_zps96ebad22.jpg.html]

[url=http://s835.photobucket.com/user/RobertKangLaw/media/Personal%20Album/Motorcycle/Superbrace5_zps0f9285d0.jpg.html]

I hope this little tour of the SuperBrace facility was interesting to our forum members. Scott is very passionate about his work, and the craftsmanship in these braces is evident. Thank you, Scott for taking the time to show me - and this forum - around your facility.
 
I'd be interested to learn more about how the initial prototype is made. Judging from the incredibly tight tolerances in the fit of the brace not only around the fork legs, but even the fender, that step must involve some very careful work. I've seen other braces that were basically metal bars that clamped on either side of the fork. Yeah, they work, but compared to the elegance of the Super Brace, they're pretty clunky.
 
Butch,

I had the same concern and went with an Agras brace. Samurider.com has Plot and Agras braces. You might check those. SuperBrace is a lot less expensive though.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Butch_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
Thanks for the tour!
Super brace is nice but there is no room between the fender and the brace .
I'm curious, room for what? I think the well-engineered fit between the brace and the fender is a design feature, not a problem.
I'm curious, room for what? I think the well-engineered fit between the brace and the fender is a design feature, not a problem.
Only thing I can think of is that moisture could get trapped under there with some possible long term consequences (?). Anything else ?
Regardless, it looks like an extremely well made complement and not an 'add-on'.
 
Remedial question. Does the installation of the brace require wheel removal or any other disassembly?
 
It shouldn't as it's mounted just above the fender to the fork tubes.
 
Capo_imp said:
Remedial question. Does the installation of the brace require wheel removal or any other disassembly?
It couldn't be simpler. Offer the 2 halves up, thread the bolts, torque to 10lbs.

Because you're threading steel into aluminum, some Never Seize or similar thread treatment is a good idea.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
Remedial question. Does the installation of the brace require wheel removal or any other disassembly?
It couldn't be simpler. Offer the 2 halves up, thread the bolts, torque to 10lbs.

Because you're threading steel into aluminum, some Never Seize or similar thread treatment is a good idea.
It couldn't be simpler. Offer the 2 halves up, thread the bolts, torque to 10lbs.

Because you're threading steel into aluminum, some Never Seize or similar thread treatment is a good idea.
Thanks, Space, that's what I was looking for. The 'forged from an ingot' look of the brace and the pix in this thread had me wondering if it was split or not. Purchase and installation now imminent!
 
There is an install video right here on the forum in the SuperBrace section.
 
Butch_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
Thanks for the tour!
Super brace is nice but there is no room between the fender and the brace .
Super brace is nice but there is no room between the fender and the brace .
The tolerance is tight, but the brace doesn't touch the fender. Moisture won't stay longer than it takes for it to air dry. When washing, you could pull a shop rag through there if you're concerned about the moisture.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
There is an install video right here on the forum in the SuperBrace section.
And if you find a fork brace on the road, you should install it!
Elipten_imp said:
I think there is an install video somewhere on the net.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the CB1000 install video: Facebook
 
My other cb1100 (white)
Cormanus please move this to the contest thread it still want let me post a pic in that thread with tapatalk
 
Back
Top