Andrew1100_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Trying to find a new rear tire for my 2017 cb1100ex.Dunlop D205 no longer made and I cant find a 140 70r 18 tube tire.Any suggestions ?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
that would be great. can these run tubes?beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:Hey Andrew,
Dunlop Roadsmart 3
Available in Canada as far as I can see.
Very, very good and about 10x better than the D205....
Thanks for your reply but the road smart 3 do not come in 140 70r 18 size.the only tires in the size are bridgestone battlax 45 &54 but neither are tube tires so I dont know what I can do ,Honda dealer has ordered Dunlop 205 but are back ordered to mid july but Dunlop site has tire discontinued with no replacement !! So I have put a patch on the tire but have filed a complaint with honda Canada who are looking into the problem.Any advice would be appreciated.beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:Hey Andrew,
Dunlop Roadsmart 3
Available in Canada as far as I can see.
Very, very good and about 10x better than the D205....
I have been on their site with no luck.It appears there are no tires currently available to fit the bike that I can find in Canada or USA . I have had bikes for 50 years and have never had this problem especially on a bike I bought new 5 months ago.baxtercat_imp said:Andrew--you might try ordering the Dunlop 205 as an OEM replacement part through one of the Honda parts houses. Bike Bandit, for instance, shows replacements for both front and rear as in stock, though not cheap.
Thanks for your reply but the road smart 3 do not come in 140 70r 18 size.the only tires in the size are bridgestone battlax 45 &54 but neither are tube tires so I dont know what I can do ,Honda dealer has ordered Dunlop 205 but are back ordered to mid july but Dunlop site has tire discontinued with no replacement !! So I have put a patch on the tire but have filed a complaint with honda Canada who are looking into the problem.Any advice would be appreciated.Andrew1100_imp said:Thanks for your reply but the road smart 3 do not come in 140 70r 18 size.the only tires in the size are bridgestone battlax 45 &54 but neither are tube tires so I dont know what I can do ,Honda dealer has ordered Dunlop 205 but are back ordered to mid july but Dunlop site has tire discontinued with no replacement !! So I have put a patch on the tire but have filed a complaint with honda Canada who are looking into the problem.Any advice would be appreciated.beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:Hey Andrew,
Dunlop Roadsmart 3
Available in Canada as far as I can see.
Very, very good and about 10x better than the D205....
I ordered the tire the minute I received your reply.As it is the oem tire it will match the front.It was a nail puncture on the shoulder of the tire so I wanted a new tire.Thankfully this bike has a center stand unlike most bikes of today so I removed the wheel and took it to the dealer however I had no idea that replacement tires for the bike do not seem to exist,like you I hope this changes as the Dunlops that are on it are not the best.Anyway the new tire is scheduled to arrive on June 5th in time for my son and I to go on a trip to Gaspe Quebec.Again thanks and happy riding this summer.2017EX_imp said:You are welcome. Is the reason for a new tire on a new bike, a puncture ( you did not post the reason )? If it is a puncture, and the tire is otherwise intact in good shape, then maybe having the dealer just install a new inner tube might be a solution, since what maintains air pressure is the tube not the tire. I am not a tubed tire expert, and do not know if there might be some reason that the tire would need to be patched IN ADDITION to a new inner tube. The $23 for a new tube is peace of mind whether the end result is just a new tube, or a new tube AND a new tire.
A different tire brand or model option other than OEM, generally means replacing both front and rear tires to get matching tread for smooth ride, a more expensive and less desirable option.
I dont know what your mechanical experience, and tools level is, or whether you know about this option, but if confident in those areas you can save a bunch of time and expense by removing and taking just the wheel and tire assembly to the dealer for the new tire and/or tube.
Most of us would probably like to know how this turns out, so please post the end result. I hope Babbits comes through for you.
I ordered the tire the minute I received your reply.As it is the oem tire it will match the front.It was a nail puncture on the shoulder of the tire so I wanted a new tire.Thankfully this bike has a center stand unlike most bikes of today so I removed the wheel and took it to the dealer however I had no idea that replacement tires for the bike do not seem to exist,like you I hope this changes as the Dunlops that are on it are not the best.Anyway the new tire is scheduled to arrive on June 5th in time for my son and I to go on a trip to Gaspe Quebec.Again thanks and happy riding this summer. Great! You might want to hang onto the Babbits link. Supposedly they are the largest Honda OEM parts supplier in the U.S., and I have used them several times for various parts. Nail on the tire shoulder explains it all. Glad your problem is solved the most economically and correctly under the given circumstances. I continue to hope there will be more options for tube tires in the near future.Andrew1100_imp said:I ordered the tire the minute I received your reply.As it is the oem tire it will match the front.It was a nail puncture on the shoulder of the tire so I wanted a new tire.Thankfully this bike has a center stand unlike most bikes of today so I removed the wheel and took it to the dealer however I had no idea that replacement tires for the bike do not seem to exist,like you I hope this changes as the Dunlops that are on it are not the best.Anyway the new tire is scheduled to arrive on June 5th in time for my son and I to go on a trip to Gaspe Quebec.Again thanks and happy riding this summer.2017EX_imp said:You are welcome. Is the reason for a new tire on a new bike, a puncture ( you did not post the reason )? If it is a puncture, and the tire is otherwise intact in good shape, then maybe having the dealer just install a new inner tube might be a solution, since what maintains air pressure is the tube not the tire. I am not a tubed tire expert, and do not know if there might be some reason that the tire would need to be patched IN ADDITION to a new inner tube. The $23 for a new tube is peace of mind whether the end result is just a new tube, or a new tube AND a new tire.
A different tire brand or model option other than OEM, generally means replacing both front and rear tires to get matching tread for smooth ride, a more expensive and less desirable option.
I dont know what your mechanical experience, and tools level is, or whether you know about this option, but if confident in those areas you can save a bunch of time and expense by removing and taking just the wheel and tire assembly to the dealer for the new tire and/or tube.
Most of us would probably like to know how this turns out, so please post the end result. I hope Babbits comes through for you.
I've read that it is OK to use tubes in a tubeless tire, but because of more heat build up it reduces the speed rating of the tire by one rating letter.2017EX_imp said:Andrew, this site lists your rear tire for $158, in stock. https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907901a87a8660d54fac327/rear-wheel-1 . I own the same bike, and had my front tire replaced under warranty, as out of round/flat spot mid year last year. I imagine it will take a while for other tire makers to catch up with demand for our particular sizes.
If the site I gave you cannot provide the tire for whatever reason, if it was me, I would contact hondapowersprts.ca customer service. I am hoping by the time my bike needs new tires, there will be more options available. It has been many years since I had a bike with tubed tires, so I had to do a little research. My reading cautions against mistakenly using a tubeless tire with a tube, as it can result in excessive heat build up in the tire.
One way or the other, either Honda will have the tires or some other solution, otherwise it would be a PR nightmare for Honda if tires were not available for a new bike. Then too as I said, other tire manufacturers may catch up and offer the sizes we need. Hope the Babbits site, which is probably the fastest and easiest solution works out for you.