Replacement Tank for my '14 DLX

Barkingshins_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Here's the situation...

My very sweet but occasionally spatially-challenged wife tipped over a bunch of gardening tools in the garage last Fall and the tank of my DLX took the brunt of it. :(

There are no dents, but that oh so beautiful paint job now has some very obvious scars. I've done a little research on paint repair in the area and, as weird as this seems to me, it's starting to look like the costs of having the paint professionally repaired could be comparable to the costs of simply replacing it with a new tank.

There are several online Honda part suppliers that claim to have a direct replacement for the DLX's tank but I want to be sure before I order.

The OEM part number for the tank seems to be 17520-MGC-N20ZA. Does anyone on this board have any experience with this part? Will it come in the same Candy Red as my original?

Here's a link to one such supplier's part if it helps: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/17520-mgc-n20za/b3262747

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

-Brian
Here's another link to the same part number from a different supplier. Curiously, the description seems to indicate that the color is "Graphite Black". How that can be a replacement for a '14 DLX tank? The DLX wasn't available in that color?!

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-17520-MGC-N20ZA.html
 
Barkingshins_imp said:
Here's the situation...

My very sweet but occasionally spatially-challenged wife tipped over a bunch of gardening tools in the garage last Fall and the tank of my DLX took the brunt of it. :(

There are no dents, but that oh so beautiful paint job now has some very obvious scars. I've done a little research on paint repair in the area and, as weird as this seems to me, it's starting to look like the costs of having the paint professionally repaired could be comparable to the costs of simply replacing it with a new tank.

There are several online Honda part suppliers that claim to have a direct replacement for the DLX's tank but I want to be sure before I order.

The OEM part number for the tank seems to be 17520-MGC-N20ZA. Does anyone on this board have any experience with this part? Will it come in the same Candy Red as my original?

Here's a link to one such supplier's part if it helps: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/17520-mgc-n20za/b3262747

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

-Brian
Here's another link to the same part number from a different supplier. Curiously, the description seems to indicate that the color is "Graphite Black". How that can be a replacement for a '14 DLX tank? The DLX wasn't available in that color?!

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-17520-MGC-N20ZA.html
They are a reputable supplier.

This from their on-line return policy.

If we shipped you the wrong item, a broken or damaged item, we will pay the cost of your return shipping once we receive and accept the return. Simply select the corresponding reason code during the online returns process detailed below and someone from our Customer Service Department will contact you. * Please follow the steps in the online return process and wait to be contacted by Customer Service before shipping these items back to us.
 
Thread starter
Pete Erickson_imp said:
I had the tank on my DLX repainted in 2015. It cost less than half the cost of a replacement.
I don't doubt that that would be the case if it was just a repaint. This is more than that. Some significant sanding will have to be done to get back to a smooth surface. Also, if I'm already paying hundreds to make this go away, I might as well pay a little more and know that I have an OEM paint job that I don't have to worry about down the road.

-Brian
 
17520-MGC-N20ZA is the part number listed for a DLX tank as shown in the fiche. I don't know why it would be shown as Graphic Black in your link. Kind of a head scratcher as oniy red DLXs were sold in the US.

In the fiche the p/n for the '14 standard is: 17520-MGC-N40ZC. Googling that number and at least one site says it is red. Maybe Honda accidentally swapped the part numbers in the listings. I'd do some more research before going to the hassle of ordering and returning, etc. Maybe call the mother ship (Honda of America) and try to verify. Good luck and let us know what you find so we can note the correct number.
 
Sanding is required of any repaint job. If it's a reputable shop and not the guy down the street in his garage, they do it right and it's included in the price of the job. I've priced repaints for classic Honda tanks a few times and it's always been in the $200-$300 range.
 
Check part number with Mr T and pricing. Might be cheaper to buy from him, and you have option for different colors. Oh, the white tank!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Buy a new tank and eliminate any damage history and all the headaches, then sell the tank and re-coup some of your money. That's what I would do.
 
Thread starter
letsjet_imp said:
Buy a new tank and eliminate any damage history and all the headaches, then sell the tank and re-coup some of your money. That's what I would do.
:beerchug:
This is exactly the solution that I've arrived at. I'll have a brand new tank with OEM paint that I won't have to worry about looking like hell a few years from now. It will literally be like the damage never happened... PLUS I'll be able to offset the cost by selling the old tank to someone who's less concerned than me about the condition of the original paint. Perfect.

I ordered the new tank two nights ago and it is supposed to ship tomorrow or the day after. Once I've received it and confirmed that it's a good replacement, I'll be looking for someone to take the old one off my hands.

Which leads to my next question...

What's a reasonable asking price for a used DLX tank with some paint damage but otherwise in perfect shape? $300?
4 Paws_imp said:
same part # I find.
http://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c29f870021404ec5a79/fuel-tank-fuel-pump

had good luck with this company and can frequently find a 10% or so discount offer when browsing their website or if you download their app and order that way.

Will the 14Dlx tank fit a 13? If it would I'd be interested in talking about your damaged one.
I've been contacted by one other person expressing interested in my old tank. Once the new tank arrives and I've confirmed that it's a good replacement, I'd be happy to PM you about the old one.

As to whether or not it will fit your '13, that is for someone else to answer. I have no idea.
 
When you get the new tank on i would remove any and all hazards within a 6 ft radius of the bike, lol. I don't even let my wife go in the garage. I have a 20k+ bike next to my CB1100 so she's not allowed anywhere near them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Check part number with Mr T and pricing. Might be cheaper to buy from him, and you have option for different colors. Oh, the white tank!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just checked pricing, a new standard tank from bike bandit is 709.00 with free shipping, a new tank from samurider is a total of 790.00 shipped. This is for the standard tank, obviously the delux is more. I wanted to check because I thought about getting a silver tank but these prices are steep.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
In 1996 or thereabouts I walked into my local Honda dealer and ordered a new tank for my 1970 CB750K0. Honda had two in their warehouse, but only one was the color I needed. It wasn't inexpensive, but it was perfect. The paint was deep and glossy, the stripes were perfect, and it fit the bike like it came from the factory, which I guess it did. The only issue was the gas cap. In 1971, Honda recalled the '69 and '70 CB750's because they came with non-locking gas caps that could pop open in an accident. The tanks were replaced with new ones that had locking gas caps (keyed to the bike). Anyway, when my new tank arrived, I replaced the locking cap with the non-locking cap from my original tank, just to keep things authentic. I was then able to find a buyer in North Dakota for my original tank (this was years before eBay or CL) and used the proceeds to help defray the cost of the new tank. Looking back, it's amazing Honda even had a NOS tank available for a 26-year old bike! If they hadn't been recalled, I'm guessing I would have been out of luck.
 
Soichiro said as long as he was alive you'd be able to buy any part, for any Honda, from the company. Of course after he died (1991) things changed.
 
I don't believe you mentioned insurance for either your bike or possibly home owner's insurance covering a vehicle in your garage. Any chance there?
 
pdedse_imp said:
I don't believe you mentioned insurance for either your bike or possibly home owner's insurance covering a vehicle in your garage. Any chance there?
Most policies have a $500 deductible, so they would only pay $209.

I would not tell my insurance company about an accident to save $209, as they may bump you premiums.
 
Hey- speaking of gas tanks- I have the 2014 standard with black tank. I ordered the 2017 black tank which I like a lot better(from Mr. T). And yes, it was quite expensive. I had the local dealership move my fuel pump to the new tank but they did something wrong and the gas gauge doesn't work. So I'm going to have to do the work over again myself. I need to find out the correct sealant to use- I'm going to post that question directly to the tech page but if anyone reads this post and knows the answer please respond - thx
 
There is no sealant. Just a gasket. I'll have to look up the torque on the nuts, but it is not much.

Ok, by the book, install new gasket and tighten the nuts to 9 ft. lbs. There is a sequenc shown, but you will be good if you use criss cross pattern like when you tighten lug nuts on a car.

Most likely you can use the old gasket with no problem though.
 
Back
Top