Replace or leave on? Nicked an engine cover.

Hovmod_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I dropped the bike a few weeks ago, a slow and undramatic defeat to gravity as I was searching for the side stand after a long day’s ride.

Thanks to the panniers, the left engine cover was the only point of contact, and there’s a scuff mark to prove it.

A new engine cover isn’t completely cheap, hence my question:
Would you recommend replacing it asap (to prevent corrosion, perhaps?) or can I just keep it as a battle scar and never think about it again?
 
If it were mine, I’d replace the cover just so I wouldn’t have to look at it every time I rode the bike. Patina is one thing, battle scars are something different.
 
It might help to see a picture of what the scar actually is. It might be light enough to hand polish or rub out to a respectable appearance. If that is not the case, if it was me I would replace it, but I am picky that way. That cover will cost about $135, plus some of your time to remove and replace.

If your car was scraped or dinged, would you have it fixed? Again, if it was me I would because of the picky factor, preserving the car, and thinking of trade in or resale value down the road. The exception would be some of the cheap beaters I have had over the years that were just to get me to and from work, and in that case I didnt care if they got dinged up or not.
 
It's up to you of course, but I'm so anal about the appearance of my bikes that I would replace.
Pride is painful - and sometimes expensive :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 
Hovmod, if it isn’t calamitous, keep it as a battle scar. These things happen.
 
Chicks dig scars

I wouldn't replace it until I sold the bike
 
There won't be any corrosion on the engine cover, if that's what you are worried about really, and if that's what you are worried about just do a bit of sanding and a touch up (if it's black), but it won't corrode, I have a nicely scuffed engine cover to prove it. Actually got a replacement some time ago but still negotiating the swap.
I'd say keep it

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Light scuffs can normally be touched up. You can always try touch up and filling the scuff with a good layer of paint. Worth a shot. If you don't like how it turns out replace the cover.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Chicks dig scars

I wouldn't replace it until I sold the bike
But then you pay to have it new and pretty again but never get to enjoy the benefits of the money spent. A bit like remodeling a kitchen right before you sell a house.

I would replace it now just so I don’t have to put up with years of being reminded the bike dropped every time I walked up to the bike.
 
But then you take the chance of dropping it again, and buying the same new cover twice
 
I'm like Rocky. I can't stand visual imperfections.

Is it something you can fix? A few weeks ago, the sun hit my bike in a particular way, and I noticed a few small nicks on my handlebar clamps. They must have come from the original owner's keys, and I never caught it when I cleaned up the bike after I bought it. I pulled both handlebar clamps, sanded out the nicks, wiped them with 0000 steel wool to put the "grain" back into them, and hit them with some clear paint. They came out great, give me visual peace, and didn't cost anything to fix.

The handlebar clamps stare you in the face every time you ride, so it was going to bother me now that I noticed the nicks. The engine cover is down low on the bike, and not something you see closely unless you look. Could you fix it? If the damage isn't deep, you should be able to sand, wool and clear.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'm like Rocky. I can't stand visual imperfections.

Is it something you can fix? A few weeks ago, the sun hit my bike in a particular way, and I noticed a few small nicks on my handlebar clamps. They must have come from the original owner's keys, and I never caught it when I cleaned up the bike after I bought it. I pulled both handlebar clamps, sanded out the nicks, wiped them with 0000 steel wool to put the "grain" back into them, and hit them with some clear paint. They came out great, give me visual peace, and didn't cost anything to fix.

The handlebar clamps stare you in the face every time you ride, so it was going to bother me now that I noticed the nicks. The engine cover is down low on the bike, and not something you see closely unless you look. Could you fix it? If the damage isn't deep, you should be able to sand, wool and clear.
Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
le_penseur, honestly I just use Rustoleum gloss clear spray, and it seems to work fine. I'd probably use something else for high-temp applications like engine parts. My favorite brand for these applications is Eastwood. Not cheap, but works very well.

I've reshot some parts on my bikes that needed to be a not-to-glossy black, and find that Eastwood Extreme Chassis paint in satin black is a winner.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
le_penseur, honestly I just use Rustoleum gloss clear spray, and it seems to work fine. I'd probably use something else for high-temp applications like engine parts. My favorite brand for these applications is Eastwood. Not cheap, but works very well.

I've reshot some parts on my bikes that needed to be a not-to-glossy black, and find that Eastwood Extreme Chassis paint in satin black is a winner.

Thank you.
 
Back
Top