Reinstall Back Grab Bar Bolt

silver90_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm installing a Givi back rack and got the grab bars off, but I'm having a tough time getting the nuts started on the two back bolts. I, or my wife, cannot get our fingers up under the welded housing on my 2014 black standard. Box end wrench hasn't worked either. Service manual just says to reverse the removal procedure. No tips

I know someone must have done this and I would greatly appreciate any advice.
 
This might help. Its in the How To section. I didn't re-read it though, and I don't remember any real problems doing my '13.

Good luck! OEM Rear Rack- Fitting
 
Thread starter


Thanks for the link, it is useful and well done. Apparently the 2014 Std. is a little different. There is a welded three sided box around the nut on the rear bolts. When you put the grab bar back up and get the rack in place (it is very tight, hence the scraps) you have about 3/8 inch to get into the back of it mainly because of the fender. Looks like Honda should have welded those in also. I think I'm going to drop the rear fender.

Still looking for tips.
 
extendable magnetic pickup.
40c0385549c35feaa8684abd72b61e5a.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the advice. I tried one, but the tip liked the other metal as much as the nut. I couldn't get it positioned.

However, I did get the rack installed today. I folded and wedged small bubble wrap behind the nuts, It worked on one and fell out on the second. I had to loosen the rear fender and drop it down. That gave me enough room to get the bolt started and use a wrench to tighten it.

However, one of the Givi rack holes was off about a quarter inch and I struggled to get the last two bolts lined up. I chose to do the back one first and after many tugs of the rack, finally got it lined up and the bolt through. The last bolt was in front with the welded nut. I got it in, but may have cut new threads. It went in tight. I'll find out if I ever take it off.

Bottom line is I like the look of the Givi back rack and the small rise, so my wife doesn't fall off. But they say in their very few instructions, each rack is hand welded and may have some variance for each model. Thanks to all who helped.


 
Well, at least the end result looks nice! :thumbsup:
 
I like that GIVI rack on your bike.
Since the rack angles upwards on a stnd 2014 like shown above,
do you suppose that this rack could have been made for a DLX/EX?
Or is the upwards angle how Givi designed it?

Anyone know of a pic showing that Givi rack on a DLX/EX?
I would like to get that rack for my DLX, if someone's installed this before.

THX!
 
I really like the Fehling rack Django has on his EX which looks very similar to that one (only without the rear supports and which I think mounts easier) but can't find anyone in the US that sells them.
 
A quick Google search shows Webike has Fehling. Mr. T could most likely get you one. AND they have these things called airplanes that can actually fly over the ocean from Japan and a man will personally deliver it to your house! :)
 
Lo yea I searched web bike but they dont list the CB1100 racks
 
OK, sorry. 458 Fehling items and nothing on Webike for us. Even on the Fehling.de site, they show a CB with a rack (and side case mounts) but don't list the rack!?!

I found them on a site in the UK, but shipping alone was 69 pounds (money pounds).
 
You could still try asking Mr T.
 
I bought a black rear rack for my 2014 from Mr T, it was only about 185.00 or so. I remember having a little difficulty starting the front bolts, I can't really remember but I think I solved the problem by starting the rear bolts first, and snugging them up a bit. OR it was the other way around.:blush: I can't really remember, but if you have trouble just try both ways. One of them solves the problem.


Black luggage rack from Mr T.
 
Back
Top