red signal failure to stop

redReno_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Is what I got a ticket for today :@

The light turned yellow and I figured I could make it, turned out there was a policemen on the perpendicular street waiting for his light to turn green. It might have turned red RIGHT before I was in the intersection but eh, I wanna say it turned red just before I made it out.
Any way, he immediately turned on his lights and I even heard his siren.

"nice bike" he says... (hmm, maybe he'll let me off with a warning...especially since he was also riding a bike)

"keep your helmet on, this will only take a sec"

"what year is that? is that a 400 or a 500?"

and nope... he wasn't asking because he was interested, he was asking because he needed to know what to put on the dang ticket!

All well, I think I will try to fight it to avoid paying the fine and taking the point on my license.
I was on my way to get some tools, at least they had a craftsman 1/2 in drive torque wrench for half off, got it for $40.
 
I guess this reminds me that when I rode more often I had more tickets, but then again I was younger.
Although most of mine were for speeding
 
Well bummer. Seems like a warning would have been the decent thing to do. Not a one of us has run a yellow only to be caught by a red entering or exiting an intersection. You and the cop are the only ones who knows for sure what happened but if it were me I would drag it out. Plead not guilty tell them you want a trial. Do what ever you have to do to drag it out to the max. They dont want you to do that. If 1 percent of the people who got traffic tickets did this it would clog the courts up so bad they could not operate. Its a money grab and nothing more.
 
Speaking of money grabs, the locals don't even need cops anymore, what with all the red light cameras and speed cameras out here. At least you don't get points.

I can remember when the imbedded strips at stop lights weren't sensitive enough to detect motorcycles. Once I sat a stop light for minutes before making a turn and sure enough a cop saw and ticketed me despite my protestations.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Speaking of money grabs, the locals don't even need cops anymore, what with all the red light cameras and speed cameras out here. At least you don't get points.

I can remember when the imbedded strips at stop lights weren't sensitive enough to detect motorcycles. Once I sat a stop light for minutes before making a turn and sure enough a cop saw and ticketed me despite my protestations.
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
 
One option is to try to take it to court. If he shows up, then his testimony will be that the light turned red before you entered the intersection. But you can press him on if he was watching you, or the traffic light as it turned red--create some doubt in the judge's mind that he only looked at the light after you had already entered the intersection. If true, be adamant in your testimony that as you crossed the limit line, entering the intersection, you saw your traffic light was still yellow.

But your best hope is that he's busy on another assignment, and can't make it into court--thereby getting your case dismissed.

Good luck.
 
Gypped_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Speaking of money grabs, the locals don't even need cops anymore, what with all the red light cameras and speed cameras out here. At least you don't get points.

I can remember when the imbedded strips at stop lights weren't sensitive enough to detect motorcycles. Once I sat a stop light for minutes before making a turn and sure enough a cop saw and ticketed me despite my protestations.
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
I did not know that. I have sat a lights here in the middle of the night that would not change no matter what unless a car pulled up. Sometimes that never happens. I have run quite a few thinking what else can I do? Never got pulled over but always wondered how it would come out if i did.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Gypped_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Speaking of money grabs, the locals don't even need cops anymore, what with all the red light cameras and speed cameras out here. At least you don't get points.

I can remember when the imbedded strips at stop lights weren't sensitive enough to detect motorcycles. Once I sat a stop light for minutes before making a turn and sure enough a cop saw and ticketed me despite my protestations.
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
I did not know that. I have sat a lights here in the middle of the night that would not change no matter what unless a car pulled up. Sometimes that never happens. I have run quite a few thinking what else can I do? Never got pulled over but always wondered how it would come out if i did.
There is a few states where its legal for bikes to run red lights for that exact reason. You treaty them like stop signs.

And check the law regarding when to stop at lights. Here, it's legal as long as you entered the intersection before it was red, it doesn't matter if it turned red after you're in it. I would definitely take it to court though. If I could have made it to court for my last speeding ticket, I would have(it wasn't local).
I did not know that. I have sat a lights here in the middle of the night that would not change no matter what unless a car pulled up. Sometimes that never happens. I have run quite a few thinking what else can I do? Never got pulled over but always wondered how it would come out if i did. In North Carolina it's not legal but provisions have been added to the law to use as a defense if you're cited.
 
Thread starter
Thanks,
I'll be doing my research and I'll most likely take it to court, especially if it is a lot of $$$.
My CB11 is innocent until proven guilty lol.
 
redReno_imp said:
Thanks,
I'll be doing my research and I'll most likely take it to court, especially if it is a lot of $$$.
My CB11 is innocent until proven guilty lol.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms.
 
SoxVol_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
Thanks,
I'll be doing my research and I'll most likely take it to court, especially if it is a lot of $$$.
My CB11 is innocent until proven guilty lol.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms. You have a valid point SoxVol. As far as redReno's ticket I think it was deserved (sorry redReno) but he has the right to fight it.
 
Thread starter
oldyaler_imp said:
SoxVol_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
Thanks,
I'll be doing my research and I'll most likely take it to court, especially if it is a lot of $$$.
My CB11 is innocent until proven guilty lol.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms. You have a valid point SoxVol. As far as redReno's ticket I think it was deserved (sorry redReno) but he has the right to fight it.
Interesting thread. If a cage had driven through the intersection as it turned red, we'd all be up in arms. You have a valid point SoxVol. As far as redReno's ticket I think it was deserved (sorry redReno) but he has the right to fight it.
I understand lol.

Going out on the road on anything with wheels is dangerous. I have had and seen so many close calls, most of them at intersections.
Whenever I am at the front either driving or riding, and the light turns green, I always take the time to look around just before I take off. Just to make sure I don't cross paths with somebody in a such a hurry they completely miss the yellow light and gun it through the red.

I didn't try going against the policeman, he was just doing his duty and I know his job isn't easy. I do plan on contesting the ticket though. ;)

I wonder if anyone will post about getting a speeding ticket on their CB11.... I better go knock on wood now :blush:

Night everyone.
 
Red Reno , it seems there are just two issues. Did you pass the stop bar, which is the wide white line at the intersection, prior to the light turning red? And was the officer in a position to see your red light from where his patrol car was sitting. If the light turned red AFTER the front tire passed the stop bar, your not guilty, at least in Florida. If you can show the officer could not see your red light, your not guilty. But you must be convincing to the judge that your tire was past the stop bar when the light turned red, and get the officer to admit that he could not SEE your red light. Good luck
 
Sorry about your bad timing, but based on your version of the story I think you would be found responsible in most states.:angel:

I am a retired police officer. I generally advise people to set a court date and show up a little early. Try and talk politely to the officer before your case is called. Tell him that you are sorry about what happened [without directly admitting guilt], and ask him if you could plead to a no point violation to keep your insurance costs down.

If you were polite to him on the road, and continue that behavior at court, most officers that I know would give you a break (unless you already have a bad driving record).

Good Luck:shy:
 
I guess this is as good a reason as any for my first post:

I live in Central Florida but bought my CB1100 from Southern Honda in Chattanooga, TN. The price difference between my local dealers and S.H. justified the effort. Anyway, I flew to Chattanooga with a duffel of gear and rode back home, 570 miles. The weather cooperated and I had clear skies the whole way. Coming through Macon, Georgia the speed limit was lower than the open road so I dropped to 5 mph over and kept an eye open for law enforcement. Sure enough, I spotted a cruiser a ways back and one lane over. I slow to the speed limit and watched as he closed the gap and moved into my lane. He hung there for half a minute and then moved over and came up next to me. I'm sweating. He's staying right next to me so I look over, through his open window into the face of a big, burly city cop. He pointed at my bike and I first thought he was signaling me to pull over, then I saw the huge grin on his face. He was digging my bike!

He pulled ahead of me and got off at the next exit. I was a laughing fool for the rest of the way through Macon!
 
Greg_imp said:
I guess this is as good a reason as any for my first post:

I live in Central Florida but bought my CB1100 from Southern Honda in Chattanooga, TN. The price difference between my local dealers and S.H. justified the effort. Anyway, I flew to Chattanooga with a duffel of gear and rode back home, 570 miles. The weather cooperated and I had clear skies the whole way. Coming through Macon, Georgia the speed limit was lower than the open road so I dropped to 5 mph over and kept an eye open for law enforcement. Sure enough, I spotted a cruiser a ways back and one lane over. I slow to the speed limit and watched as he closed the gap and moved into my lane. He hung there for half a minute and then moved over and came up next to me. I'm sweating. He's staying right next to me so I look over, through his open window into the face of a big, burly city cop. He pointed at my bike and I first thought he was signaling me to pull over, then I saw the huge grin on his face. He was digging my bike!

He pulled ahead of me and got off at the next exit. I was a laughing fool for the rest of the way through Macon!
Welcome. Cool story.
 
Thread starter
Greg_imp said:
I guess this is as good a reason as any for my first post:

I live in Central Florida but bought my CB1100 from Southern Honda in Chattanooga, TN. The price difference between my local dealers and S.H. justified the effort. Anyway, I flew to Chattanooga with a duffel of gear and rode back home, 570 miles. The weather cooperated and I had clear skies the whole way. Coming through Macon, Georgia the speed limit was lower than the open road so I dropped to 5 mph over and kept an eye open for law enforcement. Sure enough, I spotted a cruiser a ways back and one lane over. I slow to the speed limit and watched as he closed the gap and moved into my lane. He hung there for half a minute and then moved over and came up next to me. I'm sweating. He's staying right next to me so I look over, through his open window into the face of a big, burly city cop. He pointed at my bike and I first thought he was signaling me to pull over, then I saw the huge grin on his face. He was digging my bike!

He pulled ahead of me and got off at the next exit. I was a laughing fool for the rest of the way through Macon!
Awesome first post ha! :D
How many stops did you make for gas and breaks?
I can't imagine riding 570 miles :exclamation:, that's just a bit farther from where I am now to my home town.
 
I couldn't imagine doing the break in period all in one ride! Normally it is recommended against that but hey if it broke the bike in, great!

Nice story! And I too have had compliments on the bike and really get heads turned when they learn it is a NEW bike not an old restored one.
 
redReno

By the time I finished the paperwork and attached a tail bag and tank bag it was close to 7:00 pm. I had arranged to stay overnight with a friend in Atlanta which is about 120 miles and I wanted to avoid rush hour traffic so that part was good but it also meant I'd be riding in Atlanta after dark, and I'd never been to my friend's new house. I had ask the dealer to top off the gas tank and install a battery tender connector. I had brought with me an SAE to USB power adapter, charging wire for my iPhone and a pair of Etymotic earbuds that also block a lot of sound. I stopped while it was still light, about an hour from Atlanta and put my friend's address into Maps and tapped "Route". The iPhone, with the charging wire and headphone cable, went into the clear top pocket of the tank bag and I ran the headphone wire up the inside of my jacket.

Siri talked me turn by turn through downtown Atlanta and the 5 miles of surface streets, right to my friend's driveway. I could have also looked down to see the display of my phone but I never did that. Siri gives advance notice of the upcoming turn and then again just before the turn. If you miss it, "she" recalculates and talks you through the new route.

So, it wasn't a single ride of 570 miles, but 120 miles the first day and 350 the next. I had plenty of opportunity to vary RPMs and lots of saddle time right off the bat. I had to stop every 150 miles or so for gas, or about every two hours, but I actually stopped about every hour to stretch and clean the bugs off my visor!

Altogether, 4 fill-ups, so about $50 in gas. The wind blast was the biggest factor in needing breaks. Interstate 75 the main route between the midwest and the southeast and traffic runs fast. Sticking to the posted speed limits is actually dangerous because almost everyone else, including a large number of big rigs, is overtaking you. I felt safest in the far left lane, going a little faster than the flow. I don't care for riding right next to another vehicle, and I'd rather overtake than be overtaken.
 
Back
Top