Recommended shift points

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Always thought the shift points/speed in the owners manual was rather conservative

for example

from 1st to 2nd 12 mph
2nd to 3rd 19mph
3rd to 4th 25 mph
4th to 5th 31 mph
5th to 6th 37 mph

always meant to see what rpms those correspond to but alas my memory sucks and when I get to riding I'm not thinking about much other than riding
 
The ferret_imp said:
Always thought the shift points/speed in the owners manual was rather conservative

for example

from 1st to 2nd 12 mph
2nd to 3rd 19mph
3rd to 4th 25 mph
4th to 5th 31 mph
5th to 6th 37 mph

always meant to see what rpms those correspond to but alas my memory sucks and when I get to riding I'm not thinking about much other than riding
At those shift points engine braking would not be a concern and you would probably get rear ended entering the highway.
 
I don't know why they even list that when the correct shift point at any given time varies depending on a number of factors. I guess its just one of those vestigial data points they feel like they have to publish to make the manual "complete."
 
Thread starter
lol am I abusing my DLX because I don't shift to 6th until 60? I mean it is supposed to be an OVERDRIVE!
 

they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
 
Thread starter
cbdtran_imp said:
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
Ya got to love it from stop go 16 mph shift to second, go 6 mph shift to third, go 3 mph faster, shift to 4 th, go 3 mph faster shift to 5 th lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
Ya got to love it from stop go 16 mph shift to second, go 6 mph shift to third, go 3 mph faster, shift to 4 th, go 3 mph faster shift to 5 th lol
It's very important not to let power go to your head, Ferret. :D
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
they said recommended but I guess it is the min speed where you can shift w/o lugging the engine. in the 13' manual, 4th to 5th is 28 MPH.

from stop, it is recommended: 16, 22, 25, 28.

i like 5 speed because it has one less gear to shift but I want lower rpm - 70 mph at 3500 is nice
Ya got to love it from stop go 16 mph shift to second, go 6 mph shift to third, go 3 mph faster, shift to 4 th, go 3 mph faster shift to 5 th lol
It's very important not to let power go to your head, Ferret. :D
It's very important not to let power go to your head, Ferret. :D
Ahhhh good thinking my friend! ;)
 
A perfect running motor like the CB1100 is perfectly happy to short shift, just gaining momentum as you go thru the gears smoothly
 
I thought the recommended shift points were pretty silly when they were posted last year, but this year with the added 6th gear, they're downright ridiculous. Shifting to 6th at 37 mph? That should be somewhere in the low 2,xxx rpm range. I can't imagine lugging the engine at that rpm is good for it.
 
I musn't have read that bit of the owner's manual. My shift points are based on mood - just cruising' or burning off scoots (Don't take on Supersports, I don't respond well to humiliation). My basic principal, the prime command I guess, is to give the bike a good workout (thrashing) and see if it dies before I do. :)

Cheers
 
I'm even more glad that I can proudly admit I've never even opened the manual.

It's not some hi tech gadget that will baffle me, it's a very basic, simple motorbike. One more basic and simple than many of the many I've owned, ridden, commuted on and earned my living riding over the years.

I threw caution to the wind and decided to try riding it, filling it with fuel, checking the chain & tyres etc without consulting the manual. So far it's worked out ok.

Changing up at those points as someone else said will get you rear ended. Rules are there to be broken and this seems like a prime candidate for breaking.

Ignore this bunkum, and thrash the living daylights out of your pride and joy!:excited:
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I thought the recommended shift points were pretty silly when they were posted last year, but this year with the added 6th gear, they're downright ridiculous. Shifting to 6th at 37 mph? That should be somewhere in the low 2,xxx rpm range. I can't imagine lugging the engine at that rpm is good for it.
what the manual says is -- these recommended shift points is the MIN speed where you should shift up or you can harm the engine. It doesn't say these points are when you SHOULD shift
 
Thread starter
cbdtran_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I thought the recommended shift points were pretty silly when they were posted last year, but this year with the added 6th gear, they're downright ridiculous. Shifting to 6th at 37 mph? That should be somewhere in the low 2,xxx rpm range. I can't imagine lugging the engine at that rpm is good for it.
what the manual says is -- these recommended shift points is the MIN speed where you should shift up or you can harm the engine. It doesn't say these points are when you SHOULD shift
Not sure where you READ that? Here's the page



It clearly says " recommended shift points". Not that it matters because no one is going to shift at those points regardless.

Today I paid attention to where I normally shift when riding

1st to 2nd at 20 mph, to 3 rd at 35 to 4 th at 45 and to 5 th at 55
coincidentally this falls nicely into the speed zones we have..
 
I'm damned if I can find this instruction in the 2011 Australian model's manual.
 
Thread starter
Tortuga..today on the roads I rode, I did not use 6th but assume I would shift to 6th at 65 or so.
Never got over 60 today.
 
I've been following this for a while - in any event, isn't shift point better determined by engine speed, rather than vehicle speed?
 
Back
Top