Rear view mirror upgrade

lynnster_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm looking to change out the stock rear view mirrors on my 2013 CB, I have looked through a few of the threads but am totally overwhelmed by the number of threads listed so thought I would start a new thread to make it easy!
I'm a female rider with not much experience is drilling holes or high tech modifications so I would like a simple recommendation for a better looking mirror. I agree with others on trying to rid the back/license holder of the side reflectors, so is there a simple upgrade for that also?
Not that being a female makes me unable to drill holes, I'm just looking to keep it simple and make upgrades that are easy for us non-tech riders!
I am considering the Road Comet fairing from the recommends on this site,
I do love to read info from other riders about the CB, its a cool looking bike for sure.

Lynn
 
Lynn what exactly do you not like about your stock mirrors? Color , shape, location?

And Chip Beck came up with the easiest solution to removing most of the clutter at the rear end. Search Chip Beck lic plate mod.
 
Thread starter
I really like the black rectangle shaped mirrors that I have seen in the forums photos, not fond of the stock chrome round ones.
Thanks also for the info on the tail reflectors info.
This is my first post and I'm excited!
 
Welcome to the forum Lynn. :hello:

Removing the reflectors is easy, the rears are simple bolt ons. The fronts can be removed by heating them a little with a hair dryer and then slipping a strand of dental floss behind them to peel them off the fork legs. Finish up with a little Goo-Gone to remove any adhesive residue.
 
Thread starter
Wow, thanks for the info. I will look at all the options and have fun spending my $$$.

Lynn
 
LOL. You'll spend money alright :) Wait till you price out the Road Comet...
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Welcome to the forum Lynn. :hello:

Removing the reflectors is easy, the rears are simple bolt ons. The fronts can be removed by heating them a little with a hair dryer and then slipping a strand of dental floss behind them to peel them off the fork legs. Finish up with a little Goo-Gone to remove any adhesive residue.
Dental floss and a hairdryer, it's a McGuvyer trick, love it thanks.
 
Welcome, lynnster! Enjoy your Cb, Honda did a great design on this motor just like they did on the early Cb750's. The Camarillo grade, I know that highway well going up and down the coast. Living in Oregon now and it's just so pretty up here and great places to ride too! Russ:biker:
 
My bike has the CB500F mirrors and I have posted the part numbers before. I can dig them up if you need them. One wrench is all it takes to change the mirrors.







For the rear plate, I got lucky and was able to buy one before metalmaven gave it up. But, there are other options. They may require drilling holes though.
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
My bike has the CB500F mirrors and I have posted the part numbers before. I can dig them up if you need them. One wrench is all it takes to change the mirrors.







For the rear plate, I got lucky and was able to buy one before metalmaven gave it up. But, there are other options. They may require drilling holes though.
I have the part numbers, thanks for the info.
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I like the CB1000R mirrors, very cool. Thanks for the info I will look into it more.
I really like the total red look of your bike, it really looks sleek with the fairing.
 
Lynn, Samurider is going to be your friend... You just may not know that yet :)
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Do those mirrors come in chrome?
 
lynnster_imp said:
I'm looking to change out the stock rear view mirrors on my 2013 CB, I have looked through a few of the threads but am totally overwhelmed by the number of threads listed so thought I would start a new thread to make it easy!
I'm a female rider with not much experience is drilling holes or high tech modifications so I would like a simple recommendation for a better looking mirror. I agree with others on trying to rid the back/license holder of the side reflectors, so is there a simple upgrade for that also?
Not that being a female makes me unable to drill holes, I'm just looking to keep it simple and make upgrades that are easy for us non-tech riders!
I am considering the Road Comet fairing from the recommends on this site,
I do love to read info from other riders about the CB, its a cool looking bike for sure.

Lynn
The holes are already there, no need to drill anything. If you want just unscrew them and screw in new ones of your liking. I bought two different sets of aftermarket mirrors and ended up going back to stock. The stock ones are higher quality than a lot of the aftermarket ones and really keep the intended retro look. Plus they look so much better when or if you use aftermarket Handle bars like I did with my Renthal low bars.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Welcome Lynnster! Always nice to have the other 50% represented here. Out of curiosity, what was it that attracted you to the CB?

About those mirrors. For me they just look "period correct". Chrome/round says 60's or very early 70's and complement the look of the STOCK bike. Start to make some major changes to your bike and then other mirror shapes/finishes/styles will come into play that will complement the look perhaps better than the stock ones.

I would just say keep in mind that you have a ROUND headlamp that says 60's/very early 70's and depending on what shape mirrors you choose (say rectangular with sharp corners) that could scream 80's. This would be very confusing for us OLDER guys seeing a Led Zeppelin era headlamp and Flock of Sea Gulls decade mirrors on the same bike.

I happen to like the stock mirrors for a couple of reasons. They're well made. My bike is very mildly farkled and they don't look out of place. Plus those mirrors have never moved or vibrated one iota while riding for almost 10K miles. I have broad shoulders and the stems are fairly long and they help clear my shoulders even when wearing an armored jacket. Course, depending on your height that may not be needed and chrome seems to fall in and out of favor a lot.

Obviously making the bike your own is a very personal undertaking and something the CB platform actually makes very easy and almost encourages you to do. Lots of good ideas on this forum. Lots of good people. And lots of good looking bikes with aftermarket mirrors here as well. Whatever you do, post pics!!! :thumbsup:
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:

Those mirrors look great, I want them! Going to try to find them. The Babbit link you need to know a part number of year they are from I guess.
 
Back
Top