Rear Shocks- OUCH !

My own experience with Michelin PR2's is that they will wear longer and more evenly than the stock tires. The tire technology is similar between the PR2 and PR3, the latter being the improved version. The tires (Metzler Roadtech) on my Guzzi were badly worn and flat spotted at 6000 miles. Replaced with PR2's and 6000 miles later the Michelins were wearing evenly with little flat spotting and were good for at least another 3000 miles. Will definitely put PR3's on my CB when it comes time to replace.
 
It's nice to know Pilot Roads make a big difference in comfort, thanks for sharing fellas. I just put some $200 black-spring Hagons (had them in the garage from an old bike, ~3,000 miles on them) on this weekend, and I find the ride much cushier. If you're looking for comfort and ease of dealing with pavement imperfections, they're great -- and a huge improvement over stock. I found the stockers way over-sprung, and I'm a big guy (200 lbs). The Hagons feel a little less sporty/aggressive. I found myself enjoying the scenery more, instead of plotting my next move through traffic. If you ride the CB like a sportbike, maybe Ikons or Ohlins are the way to go.
 
The Yamaha FZ07 comes with suspension that all the writers seem to like pretty well. A dealer should be able to ask what you weigh and then give you a pair of the correctly sprung shocks before you ride one foot on the new bike. If it has twin shocks, make the bike fit the rider at the dealer. Ride it in Japan down a crappy road and act accordingly before you crate it. Do the same at Harley. It's not too much to ask. Give me decent shocks before you give me fancy paint jobs or a spec of chrome. I'm going to ride it not just look at it.
 
All of the magazine reports on the CB rave about the suspension as well.
 
I'm probably a little over 200 lbs (I hope that's all...) and find the stock shocks acceptable on the 2nd preload notch. They are still under damped, but not surprising for stock shocks. I think with under 4 inches of travel, only so much can be done. A set of Ikon shocks were on my upgrade list and I think will be the right amount of "better" than the stockers. With the amount of flex I feel in the chassis, I question whether the high end Ohlins are really much better. I mean, they are, but it's somewhat of a diminished return when you mount them on a flexy steel swingarm and frame. You could get one of those trick aluminum swingarms, but spending a couple grand on rear suspension would be silly for this bike.
 
My Sportster was a great test of stock Showa vs Ohlins and they Ohlins were night and day better, even on that crappy Sportster with the wrong angle swingarm. (Parallel to the ground swingarm). However, I am 160 soaking wet. We are all different weights. No one shock will work for all of us. Many testers were happy with the stock shocks as were the original engineers in Japan, some of whom, in fact, worked for the World Superbike and MotoGP teams. Every speck of the engineering of this motorcycle was looked at by a team of many engineers, young and old. It is a motorcycle to just go out and enjoy a relaxing ride. It's not the CBR1000RR. If you make a super powerful motor, you better spend some serious money on the frame and suspension too. Early KZ1000s were totaled en masse. But for what this bike is intended, it hits the mark dead on. Torque. Relax. Take your time. Stop for lunch. Meet friends.
 
Siggy Javotnik_imp said:
It's nice to know Pilot Roads make a big difference in comfort, thanks for sharing fellas. I just put some $200 black-spring Hagons (had them in the garage from an old bike, ~3,000 miles on them) on this weekend, and I find the ride much cushier. If you're looking for comfort and ease of dealing with pavement imperfections, they're great -- and a huge improvement over stock. I found the stockers way over-sprung, and I'm a big guy (200 lbs). The Hagons feel a little less sporty/aggressive. I found myself enjoying the scenery more, instead of plotting my next move through traffic. If you ride the CB like a sportbike, maybe Ikons or Ohlins are the way to go.

Mind letting us know the model number for those old Hagon's? Seems there are quite a few different outlets for Hagon's along with used ones so that might be an affordable option for a lot of us.

Mahalo,
Huladog
 
[/QUOTE]

Mind letting us know the model number for those old Hagon's? Seems there are quite a few different outlets for Hagon's along with used ones so that might be an affordable option for a lot of us.

Mahalo,
Huladog
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't see this before, Huladog! I fixed my notifications settings just now. I either got the Hagons from newbonneville.com (no longer carry Hagon) or British Customs website. The bottom rubber grommet was too small for the CB -- but I had the right size drill bit to fix that. You could check Hagons website for a dealer, here:
http://www.hagonshocksusa.com
And the model is the "road shock." Step up from that is 2810s. There's something fancier than that, but I'll never be a good enough rider to require it!
 
rocket_imp said:
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket
I am using Progressive Piggyback shocks #970-1007. The length and internal bushing diameters are the same as stock. They can be mounted with the reservoir in any position needed. The left side has no clearance issue, the right side, however, you will see the upper shock frame mount does not extend out as far as the left side. I took a small amount of metal off of the frame gusset material with a grinder and shimmed the shock out about 5mm with washers to clear the reservoir and compression adjuster. If and when I get around to removing the grab rails I will turn the shocks around with the reservoir at the rear.
 
Thread starter
KennyB: I called Progressive because I have always used their shocks. They told me that they had nothing for the CB1100. Now, seeing your installation, I know why they did not recommend that shock. Most riders are not talented enough to make the modifications you have accomplished. I'm quite sure that IKON is my choice. Thanks for your help, Rocket
 
Funny, I find the suspension on the CB rides like a magic carpet. Maybe it's my weight (170-175 lbs.), or maybe that my other ride is a '12 Bonneville...now there's a bike that rides like a buckboard over anything but the glassiest road surface. Even the Progressives I put on that bike didn't help.
 
I put Progressives on my Nighthawk 750. Waste of money for me. I couldn't tell any difference between them and the 20,000 mile stock shocks they replaced. I had Traxxion Dynamics front suspension and replacement rear spring on my FZ-1 and again, waste of money on me. Couldn't tell any difference between it and my son's FZ-1 with 30,000 mile stock suspension. Guess I don't have the "feel". Everything feels exactly the same. Whether it's stock, cost $400 or $2000. I've moved the stock suspension all around on the CB 3 positions/combos front and back... all feels the same. So I just put it back to factory settings. Maybe that's why stock seats don't bother me , I have no feeling back there lol

BTW Papa I had no issues with my Bonnies suspension either and although I thought the seat was thin and hard I never bothered to replace it, just rode it.
 
:rofl: I think you're right Houtman.
 
I just put a set of Ikons on Eric's CB Sunday. I haven't had a chance to take the bike out to the twisties west of town to try them out on the sweepers and the giant whoops at speed yet, but I can say that they are much better damped than stock. The ride over the ridiculously bumpy brick roads around my neighborhood is much less harsh. The ride is stable and smooth. I think I like them, and the price certainly is right, comparatively. I found the front suspension way too soft initially and not very confidence inspiring. I've been screwing in the adjusters bit by bit and trying it. Damping seems pretty good and I currently am pretty happy lightly scraping the right peg. We have them turned in up to the last ring on the adjusters. I'll try that this weekend. The wallow into the turns has been getting better the tighter the setting. I'm hoping the forks will be able to be adjusted satisfactorily without having to modify them. I'm getting better lean angle through the esses all the time it seems. It's fun playing with the adjustments and getting the bike set up. I've got some stuff to get done on my Yamaha triple, new tires, tubes, fork seals and such, and once accomplished I'm hoping Eric and I can get in some riding together. Currently he's got his nose to the grindstone and I've been the one piling the miles on the CB :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I put Progressives on my Nighthawk 750. Waste of money for me. I couldn't tell any difference between them and the 20,000 mile stock shocks they replaced. I had Traxxion Dynamics front suspension and replacement rear spring on my FZ-1 and again, waste of money on me. Couldn't tell any difference between it and my son's FZ-1 with 30,000 mile stock suspension. Guess I don't have the "feel". Everything feels exactly the same. Whether it's stock, cost $400 or $2000. I've moved the stock suspension all around on the CB 3 positions/combos front and back... all feels the same. So I just put it back to factory settings. Maybe that's why stock seats don't bother me , I have no feeling back there lol

BTW Papa I had no issues with my Bonnies suspension either and although I thought the seat was thin and hard I never bothered to replace it, just rode it.
What The Ferret really means is that it don't matter if the bike has the best adjustable suspension or worn out junk, he can like it like a Boss!
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I just put a set of Ikons on Eric's CB Sunday. I haven't had a chance to take the bike out to the twisties west of town to try them out on the sweepers and the giant whoops at speed yet, but I can say that they are much better damped than stock. The ride over the ridiculously bumpy brick roads around my neighborhood is much less harsh. The ride is stable and smooth. I think I like them, and the price certainly is right, comparatively. I found the front suspension way too soft initially and not very confidence inspiring. I've been screwing in the adjusters bit by bit and trying it. Damping seems pretty good and I currently am pretty happy lightly scraping the right peg. We have them turned in up to the last ring on the adjusters. I'll try that this weekend. The wallow into the turns has been getting better the tighter the setting. I'm hoping the forks will be able to be adjusted satisfactorily without having to modify them. I'm getting better lean angle through the esses all the time it seems. It's fun playing with the adjustments and getting the bike set up. I've got some stuff to get done on my Yamaha triple, new tires, tubes, fork seals and such, and once accomplished I'm hoping Eric and I can get in some riding together. Currently he's got his nose to the grindstone and I've been the one piling the miles on the CB :)
My observations of the CB's handling seem to be right in line with yours other than the fork preload. The tighter I went, the harder it was to keep the front end steering where I wanted on rough, uneven pavement. A lot seems to be flex causing the front end to not track correctly. 43mm forks are a little spindly for nearly 550 lbs of motorcycle. Adding a fork brace really brought the front end to life. It goes where you point it and isn't as bad about following grooves and low spots in the road. The forks seem adequately damped, so spending $150-200 on a brace is the best bang for the buck.

Before the fork brace, I could tell the rear shock were under damped. With the front end more sorted, it really shows up. I also feel some of the wallowing felt is going to be ever present due to this being a 550 lb bike with a traditional steel cradle frame and swingarm. The rear shocks must be left at the lower end of the preload range even for me at 200+ lbs. For a bike designed for the Japanese market, I am surprised the rear shocks are so stiff. On the 2nd notch, Bump compliance is good and I've yet to bottom out. Even on that light of a setting, it's a bit of a pogo stick.

The Ikons seem to be the way to go for the money. My only concern is the lack of preload settings. Seems like they could have done more than 3 notches. Despite that, I think this may be my mod.
 
Henrik_imp said:
How about these?

96a331ded029a4e299e1f2703041375e.JPG
So I'd really like to get a set of those, what model number should I be looking for?
 
Back
Top