Rear Shocks- OUCH !

rocket_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket
 
rocket_imp said:
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket
Noticed the same thing on my second test ride on a choppy road. It was just bouncing over the bumps. I am 165 lbs with my gear on so it seemed I was too light for the stock springs. I put Ohlins on my Sportster and it helped immensely. Even Progressive shocks were better before I finally sold it. Showas work for some people but not all. You could try backing off the preload which comes stock on the second setting. Interestingly enough, my Suzuki TU250 had a MUCH better ride that my Kawasaki Zr750, Honda Nighthawk 750 and my Sportster. Nice and soft. Ohlins or Progressives would help. I tried 200 dollar Hagons on my Nighthawk and they did nothing.
 
Nothing but rough roads out here and adjusting the stockers was no help. The Ohlins smoothed the back out so much I couldn't live with the front anymore!
New or used Ohlins are worth the money.
 
The stock springs don't have rebound dampening, hence the jarring rebound for bumps at speed.

A low option for a dampening shock is Ikon (http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/shop/7610-1507/); starting at ~$400, they have adjustable rebound dampening, preload adjustment, and progressive springs, but aren't calibrated for rider weight and riding style.

Mid-priced option might be Works Suspension. For a bit more (I think they start ~$600), they customize the shock and spring based on the rider's weight and riding style. They also have dual and triple rate springs, and some other adjustment options as well as piggyback and remote reservoirs. I'll probably be tempted to I this route.

Of course there are ohlins at the high end as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I bought Ohlins for my 2013 CB 1100 for $850 new (with chrome springs).
Worth every penny , especially for my back.
They do not have to cost $1200 !
 
Thread starter
Just spoke with IKON . They have them in black for $400. or chrome for $460.
You can contact them at: ikonsuspensionusa.com. or call Dave Gardner at: 415-738-9441.
 
Quote:The stock springs don't have rebound dampening, hence the jarring rebound for bumps at speed.
Are you sure? Maybe just not ADJUSTABLE rebound damping?

Cheers
 
Thread starter
I'm sure there is damping in both directions, just not enough or the right amount. However, it is not the rebound damping that I'm complaining about. It's the high speed damping (compression ) when hitting small, sharp bumps like when the road has frozen & lifted the asphalt. Dave Gardner at IKON & Ted Porter at Wilbers explained that high-speed damping is what the original shocks on most bikes is lacking and the cause of the "jolt " we feel. Otherwise, my bike rides pretty smoothly.
In defense of manufacturers'' shocks, they must select shocks at a price point that will satisfy 75% of the riders. Consider what our bikes would cost if they installed Wilbers at $1,000.; OHLINS at $1200., or even IKONS at $460. Rocket
** I'm sure grover meant that the damping was not "adjustable" **
 
How about these?

96a331ded029a4e299e1f2703041375e.JPG
 
They are the Ohlins shocks I have on my 2013 CB 1100, including the chrome springs.
I will also put them on my 2014 very soon ,paid $ 850 including a one step upgrade on the spring because of my weight (215 now)
 
Thread starter
Yes, I like those. And the name makes me all fluffy. But the price hurts me. Your EURO & our U.S. Dollar are not that friendly right now. If Switzerland is near Ukraine, maybe you could hop over there and get me a good deal on a set of Ohlins that fell off the back of a military vehicle ?
Those are beautiful shocks ! Thanks for making me jealous . Rocket
Houtman: OK, I'm getting weak. Where did you get those shocks for $850. ?
 
rocket' pid='61269' dateline='1411609190 said:
Yes, I like those. And the name makes me all fluffy. But the price hurts me. Your EURO & our U.S. Dollar are not that friendly right now. If Switzerland is near Ukraine, maybe you could hop over there and get me a good deal on a set of Ohlins that fell off the back of a military vehicle ?
Those are beautiful shocks ! Thanks for making me jealous . Rocket
Houtman: OK, I'm getting weak. Where did you get those shocks for $850. ?
I bought them local from Fastbikeindustries, a privately owned shop rebuilding and selling Ohlins shocks for mainly race bikes.
It was a cash deal , no tax and I picked them up as he is close to me (and the Ohlins head quarters in Hendersonville NC.)
I had bought already bought 4 other sets for CBX and CB 1000 Hondas.
If you are interested I can call him and see if I can get the same deal and I will send them to you.
 
rocket_imp said:
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket

Rocket,

Not sure which tires your bike came with but my stock BT54's where hard as a rock. Coming off sport-bikes the combo of suspension and upright riding position was uncomfortable over e regular road conditions. I was thinking of switching out the shocks until i put a set of Michelin Pilot road 3's on the bike. They softened the ride considerable. The sidewall of the BT54's are so hard when dismounted they feel like there's 20lbs of air in them. Its not going to help rebound which the shocks a lacking but will give you a much better feel of the road.
Had i known this when i bought the bike i would have changed them out.

Review Michelin Road 3's
 
Thread starter
CIP57: I agree with your assessment of the Bridgestone's. They certainly add to the jolt problem. The bike is so smooth that I have a lot of time to think about what exactly is happening and the tires were high on my list. Glad to hear that someone else has confirmed my thoughts. I'm sure others might be happy with hard tires that last a long time, but I'm not. Since my original 81 Yamaha Seca, I have known that the OEM's use pretty cheap tires. Again, to control the retail price. I'm OK with that. We all have an opinion. Rocket
 
Plus one on IKONs. Terrific value for the money. My $800+Ohlins are only slightly better. Both are superior to the shocks.
 
CIP57_imp said:
rocket_imp said:
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket

Rocket,

Not sure which tires your bike came with but my stock BT54's where hard as a rock. Coming off sport-bikes the combo of suspension and upright riding position was uncomfortable over e regular road conditions. I was thinking of switching out the shocks until i put a set of Michelin Pilot road 3's on the bike. They softened the ride considerable. The sidewall of the BT54's are so hard when dismounted they feel like there's 20lbs of air in them. Its not going to help rebound which the shocks a lacking but will give you a much better feel of the road.
Had i known this when i bought the bike i would have changed them out.

Review Michelin Road 3's
Agreed, CIP. I have had the RP3s on for a few thousand kms and the more I ride them the more I like them. Softer ride than the Bridgies. I put in over 400kms today of which a considerable amount was hard at work on some serious bends chasing a man who is very fast. Some inconsistent surface tested the suspension. Aftermarkets would be good but the Michelins have, in my subjective assessment, improved the ride to the point where I wouldn't spend the money. How the Michelins wear will be interesting indeed.

Cheers.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
rocket_imp said:
First 120 mile ride. Rough roads. The stock shocks seem to have stiff high-speed damping. Meaning, on those small, sharp bumps or cracks in the road they deliver a pretty severe jolt right up my spine. Pretty smooth ride otherwise. Adjustments don't have any affect .
Eliminating the $1100. Ohlins, does anyone have any experience with alternative shocks that they would recommend ? Thanks, Rocket

Rocket,

Not sure which tires your bike came with but my stock BT54's where hard as a rock. Coming off sport-bikes the combo of suspension and upright riding position was uncomfortable over e regular road conditions. I was thinking of switching out the shocks until i put a set of Michelin Pilot road 3's on the bike. They softened the ride considerable. The sidewall of the BT54's are so hard when dismounted they feel like there's 20lbs of air in them. Its not going to help rebound which the shocks a lacking but will give you a much better feel of the road.
Had i known this when i bought the bike i would have changed them out.

Review Michelin Road 3's
Agreed, CIP. I have had the RP3s on for a few thousand kms and the more I ride them the more I like them. Softer ride than the Bridgies. I put in over 400kms today of which a considerable amount was hard at work on some serious bends chasing a man who is very fast. Some inconsistent surface tested the suspension. Aftermarkets would be good but the Michelins have, in my subjective assessment, improved the ride to the point where I wouldn't spend the money. How the Michelins wear will be interesting indeed.

Cheers.
Agreed, CIP. I have had the RP3s on for a few thousand kms and the more I ride them the more I like them. Softer ride than the Bridgies. I put in over 400kms today of which a considerable amount was hard at work on some serious bends chasing a man who is very fast. Some inconsistent surface tested the suspension. Aftermarkets would be good but the Michelins have, in my subjective assessment, improved the ride to the point where I wouldn't spend the money. How the Michelins wear will be interesting indeed.

Cheers.
P,

I have 4000 on my PR3's and the rear shows no wear or flat spot, the front has no cupping and such a small flat spot almost not worth mentioning. I usually get 5000 out of tires i can easily see these going to 8000.
 
Back
Top