Rear rack: H&B, Givi, Honda OEM or ?

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, discarded the idea of the C-Bow system for my CB and now thinking a rear rack and soft tail bag (hard tail bags look to "spaceship-ey" to me).


The H&B rack look like it sits real high compared to the Givi and Honda.

Looks like they all bolt where the grab bars are so easy install and no turn signal relocation.

What are you using and what bags fo you recommend? Pics are especially appreciated, thanks.
 
I was about to buy a H&B rack, as I already have top box from a previous bike.
However, I started seeing quite a few reports of the rack not fitting properly, or being warped, etc.

To my knowledge, H&B does make two different racks for the 13 & 14 models, but these reports seemed to be a quality control issue (and not a mis-fit for a certain model).
The comments are somewhere in another thread on this forum; a search should turn something up.

I'd still like to buy one eventually, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it.
 
someone just offered up a rack for sale Honda oem to fit a 2013..it may be in classifieds
 
I have the Honda rack and Emgo trunk. My only complaint is the welds are starting to rust on the Honda rack after 9 months.

ffcae5c498af12ea83deeb24578b4b2e.jpg
 
Kenny, hate to hear about the rack rust. Just added a Honda rack with a really old school Honda (scooter) case that is about the size of your Emgo along with an old Slipstreamer ss-28 that appears to have about the same coverage as your screen. Your bike gives me same vibe as mine.

kennyw_imp said:
I have the Honda rack and Emgo trunk. My only complaint is the welds are starting to rust on the Honda rack after 9 months.

ffcae5c498af12ea83deeb24578b4b2e.jpg
 
That's disappointing that the welds are starting to rust since I just purchased that rack plus the honda top box. :(

I wanted lockable storage for some tools, an electric air pump, plugging kit, etc.

 
curlyjoe_imp said:
That's disappointing that the welds are starting to rust since I just purchased that rack plus the honda top box. :(

I wanted lockable storage for some tools, an electric air pump, plugging kit, etc.
I got mine about a year ago, but living in San Jose I don't expect to see much rust.

5fdbe7ea728a2fd980b3e6794bae7f14.jpg
 
Keep in mind that I'm riding year round in all weather conditions too.
 
Have the Honda OEM rack on my 13 CB, no major complaints. Saw one I prefer over the OEM though, has tandem hand grips for a passenger though my use would be for lashing a duffel laying across the seat. Very simple install, no troubles. Looking for a tail bag to leave on for daily use, contemplating a "Canada's gear navigator tail bag" from Amazon. Searched army surplus store but found no likely candidates at reasonable prices. Toss up between security and looks.
Bought rack from web bike Japan though samurider probably has same product with better service.
No rust yet but oem crash bars/ side case protectors showing rust at welds. Pisser.
 
I got the H&B rack on my '13. I like the tall grab bar and I plan to put a pad on it (sort of a mini backrest for the passenger).

0d14484cff641e0d03aebbf44063d080.jpeg


As Jim posted above, some people had trouble with the fitment of the H&B rack early last year. It seems they had a manufacturing glitch on a batch of racks. Since then, I've heard of forum members installing the without issue.
 
I put a H&B rack on my 14 standard in January 16. Three of the four holes lined up well, but the fourth was off a little. I finally got it on, but I may have stripped the bolt. I'll find out if I ever take it off. Some of the plating scratched off, but I covered it with clear fingernail polish to protect it. Goes easier if you drop the fender.

I like the look and I put a Givi 30L monolock case on. Serves the purpose well, but I don't like the latch and how it locks. Simple enough, but takes a little thought to make sure it locks.


 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like we have some minor issues with both the OEM and H&B racks..anyone use the Givi?
 
Thread starter
Well, OK, that rack install doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either BUT that last black rack in that thread I will definitely followup on.

Or maybe I will bite the bullet and tackle the C-Bow install.

Such an awesomely powerful bike should have been more easily designed with luggage in mind!!! It seems obvious to me the engineers placed a low priority on that.
 
I just got done installing the Ventura Rack on my CB, didn't take a picture yet. Straight forward installation under grab rails. This is my second time with their product, installed a rack on my '97 Bandit 1200 many moons ago, very, very satisfied.

Cheers

:beerchug:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Coach,

Don't believe I've heard of the Ventura rack. Is this it? http://www.ventura-mca.com/individual-components
Yes, P-G; That's the one. Ventura is a N-Z company, Pac-NW distributor- I put the Pack-Rack version on the CB1100, and I have a sport Rack in stock from when I installed a Pack Rack on my Bandit. Haven't had a Top Box rack, yet. In general, I like the fit, finish is nice ( Semi-gloss Blk), and I never had any issues on the Bandit ( No rust, welds cracking, etc.)


Cheers

:beerchug:
 
Back
Top