Really tire time!

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Woke up early. nagging thought. 'I'm supposed to be doing something this morning.'

Oh, yeah ...... pull the back wheel, put it in the car trunk, and get it to Perry at Dougherty's to mount a new BT54.

So, off to the garage to do just that!

This afternoon promises to be another beautiful day here in NE Ohio, perfect for breaking in a new tire.

Bob

EDIT: Came off easily enough. I usually save my curse words for reinstalling the wheel!
 
I just put a new BT 54 radial on the front. I can feel the difference with the radial. They perform better in the turns.
 
Thread starter
Lordy, can we imprison the engineer at Honda who designed the rear wheel attachment system?

With the help of a scissors jack, a few thin pieces of wood under the center stand, and teaching the neighbors several new words, it is back on, except for adjusting the chain and torquing the axle bolt. Oh, and a few light taps on the axle with a rubber mallet.

There must be a system, but I think my new system will be easier ..... take it to the shop and let them fight with the fiddly spacers, adjusters, and rear brake caliper.

Gives me a whole new appreciation for the single sided swingarm and lug bolts used on my old R100GS and the Guzzi 1200 Sport.

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Lordy, can we imprison the engineer at Honda who designed the rear wheel attachment system?

With the help of a scissors jack, a few thin pieces of wood under the center stand, and teaching the neighbors several new words, it is back on, except for adjusting the chain and torquing the axle bolt. Oh, and a few light taps on the axle with a rubber mallet.

There must be a system, but I think my new system will be easier ..... take it to the shop and let them fight with the fiddly spacers, adjusters, and rear brake caliper.

Gives me a whole new appreciation for the single sided swingarm and lug bolts used on my old R100GS and the Guzzi 1200 Sport.

Bob
You are just spoiled!
(My CB went to the dealer for tires)
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Lordy, can we imprison the engineer at Honda who designed the rear wheel attachment system?

With the help of a scissors jack, a few thin pieces of wood under the center stand, and teaching the neighbors several new words, it is back on, except for adjusting the chain and torquing the axle bolt. Oh, and a few light taps on the axle with a rubber mallet.

There must be a system, but I think my new system will be easier ..... take it to the shop and let them fight with the fiddly spacers, adjusters, and rear brake caliper.

Gives me a whole new appreciation for the single sided swingarm and lug bolts used on my old R100GS and the Guzzi 1200 Sport.

Bob
I loved the single sided swing arm on the Honda Hawk NT650 I bought when I came back to bikes 27 years ago.
The rear tire on the CB is still good so I haven't had the "pleasure" yet of doing what you did.
The rear wheel on my CB900F (919) is fiddly too and can be a PITA to put back on so I somewhat know what to expect - which is not to say I'm looking forward to it by any means.
 
What Houtman said. It isn’t hard on this bike. A little fiddly, yeah.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Lordy, can we imprison the engineer at Honda who designed the rear wheel attachment system?

With the help of a scissors jack, a few thin pieces of wood under the center stand, and teaching the neighbors several new words, it is back on, except for adjusting the chain and torquing the axle bolt. Oh, and a few light taps on the axle with a rubber mallet.

There must be a system, but I think my new system will be easier ..... take it to the shop and let them fight with the fiddly spacers, adjusters, and rear brake caliper.

Gives me a whole new appreciation for the single sided swingarm and lug bolts used on my old R100GS and the Guzzi 1200 Sport.

Bob
You are just spoiled!
(My CB went to the dealer for tires)
You are just spoiled!
(My CB went to the dealer for tires) The older I get, the more I'm inclined to let dealers do more of the routine stuff that I've done for years. What's the rear wheel made of? ................. lead?

Bob
Houtman_imp said:
It is NOT difficult to put the rear wheel in , just line up things well and you are all set.
I'm out of chain drive practice. Gotta remember, I've spent a lot of saddle time riding my old R100GS and Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, both with single side swing arm and lug nut wheel mounting. Last two chain drive bikes I owned (for 50,000 miles each, and several tire changes) was my 2000 W650 and 2003 Bonnie T100
 
The rear can be fiddly until you've done it a couple times. I used to have a specially spaced (thick) board to support the tire at the correct height for the install. Last time I just got "close" enough.

And order matters. Cursed a couple times when I got the right hand bits on and realized the chain was not on the sprocket. Gah!

Like learning to ride a bicycle; at first you're willing to ditch it in the pond. After a bit you wonder what the problem was. :D
 
Rboe_imp said:
The rear can be fiddly until you've done it a couple times. I used to have a specially spaced (thick) board to support the tire at the correct height for the install. Last time I just got "close" enough.

And order matters. Cursed a couple times when I got the right hand bits on and realized the chain was not on the sprocket. Gah!

Like learning to ride a bicycle; at first you're willing to ditch it in the pond. After a bit you wonder what the problem was. :D
Good tip about the board. I do the same thing to support the weight of the wheel and line it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Along with the board, a dowel inserted from the brake rotor side helps keep the parts aligned while inserting the axle. I just use my original axle. The one I ruined the threads on the first time I replaced the rear tire...:blush:

Ben
 
Ben70_imp said:
Along with the board, a dowel inserted from the brake rotor side helps keep the parts aligned while inserting the axle. I just use my original axle. The one I ruined the threads on the first time I replaced the rear tire...:blush:

Ben
Another good tip. Thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oops, we'll pretend we didn't see that about the axle :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Questions:
1. I removed the rear axle spacers before taking my wheel to the shop for a new tire. I'll remember which goes in the right side, which goes in the left. Sure I will!

2. Has anyone gotten them crossed up while changing a tire, and if so, would it even be possible to remount the wheel?

I took a close look at the right and left spacers (the part that is visible once wheel is mounted and torqued to spec. The spacer on the brake rotor (right) side appears to clear the wheel hub by approximately 1/16" The spacer on the sprocket (left) side clears the hub by approximately 3/16".

I no longer maintain a Photobucket account, but if one of you knowledgeable forum members could send me your email address, I could take a couple of pics and send them as an email attachment.

Thanks,

Bob
 
I haven't removed the rear wheel on the CB yet so can't offer any help.
FWIW, when I remove a wheel I remove only one spacer at a time (if there are two), clean it up and use a Sharpie to write an R (right) or L (left) on it.
I also mark an arrow on it to indicate the edge that goes in first - even if either way is OK.
The way it came out is the way it goes back in - regardless.
 
Ohiorider, I just looked at my bike and the right spacer is not showing much and the left is. I didn’t measure, but looks to be about what you posted. And is what the service manual shows.

If they were swapped I don’t think the wheel would mount as the disk would be out of place.

Its been about 3 years since I had my wheels off, but I don’t remember the spacers being a problem as the book shows the proper side for each.

Do you have a service manual? If not, PM me and I can send the page to you.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ohiorider, I just looked at my bike and the right spacer is not showing much and the left is. I didn’t measure, but looks to be about what you posted. And is what the service manual shows.

If they were swapped I don’t think the wheel would mount as the disk would be out of place.

Its been about 3 years since I had my wheels off, but I don’t remember the spacers being a problem as the book shows the proper side for each.

Do you have a service manual? If not, PM me and I can send the page to you.
PM Sent.

Bob
 
Back
Top