Really considering givin up riding

Consider doing some off-road trail riding on a lightweight enduring or dual-purpose bike. No cars, and lots of fun. It also builds skills and improves your riding.
 
No, your not crazy. I stopped riding for 16 years when my 1st child was born for the same reason. There was no time for riding with coaching and all the other things that go along with raising children. I even quit my second job to be be as involved as possible with all there activities. I don't regret it for one minute the time spent with them and getting to know all there friends by being involved.

I bought a 125 dirt bike which filled the gap and the kids enjoyed riding with dad. I was lucky to have 12 acres of undeveloped land in my backyard for dirt riding, bow target practice and ATV riding.

Without a clear head or fear you should pack it up, enjoy the kids and get involved, there only young once.

I will add I never sold my 1983 GS1100, It was put in dry storage 1984-2000 when it came out to play again:thumbsup:
 
holy666diver, none of us is likely to encourage you to give up riding. We all love it, and because we've had to defend ourselves for years against the criticisms of stupidity and risk taking, we've got all the answers down pat.

This is—as others have said—a no brainer. If riding has stopped being fun because you're worrying what it might mean for your family, get off the bike. If you can afford to keep it, do so while you see how things go. If you can't, sell it. It's just a bike.

If you have a choice, don't ride if it's no fun and it makes you anxious. Spend the time with your child. It's wonderfully rewarding, better than worrying and much, much more important than a motorcycle.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the Child and very best wishes for your continued happiness.
 
I gave up riding for a while when my son was little, too. I was noticing that I was having close calls with cars, and then a friend from work wrecked on his bike and broke his back, and after a long hospital stay was in a wheelchair the rest of his life. That did it for me. I sold my '78 Suzuki GS550, but in '97 just before my son graduated from high school I got another bike. I missed riding the whole time but I wanted to be all the father I could be for my son. I don't regret it. :beerchug:
 
Did just that, except I jumped the gun; sold the wreck I was riding at the time a week after the wife-to-be said "oh, oh...Looks like I'm late..."

Bought a much better bike a week after our youngest got her degree.
 
Amazing how many of us have gone down the same road. I got out of road riding when I was about 18 after an elderly lady pulled across my lane so she could get to a mail box. I laid my CL77 over and luckily didn't get hurt. She of course blamed me but the cop gave her the ticket. That was around 1970. Got married in 71, bought a Bultaco Alpina dirt bike and played in the woods for a few years. Had Rokon's and Honda XR's. Kids happened and business became important so got out of riding. 2010 the kids are out, the wife passed away from cancer so I went out and bought a Harley Night Rod, then a BMW S1000RR, then a Harley Road Glide Ultra, then a Can Am Spyder and now the CB1100. So 30 years away from riding but I'm back. I stick to back roads and have no intention of setting any speed records. Just nice relaxing riding. No interstate if I can help it, just quite back roads with very little traffic.
 
So sorry to hear about your wife Sam. That stinks.
 
Can't sugarcoat it, motorcycles and cars just don't play well together. Spend as much time as you can with your kids while they are growing up, if riding time suffers that's no major loss.
Plan your future around your family and prepare for it, ride when you get a little "me" time and it will help keep your life in balance.
 
We all sound like broken records. My story single, have bike, ride a lot, get married have kids, no time to ride, sell bike, kids grow up. Fast forward 25 years. One day I was looking at getting a small computer car. Wife says why don't you get a bike. 3 days later came home with a 09 HD FXDL. 2 years later traded the HD for my 14 CB1100 STD. I loved the Harley, but was not a good daily rider in the heat of the south. Now I ride all the time. The nice thing about modern bikes, when your not riding it all the time, keep the gas tank filled and add some fuel stabilizer and it will be ready and waiting for your next ride...
 
holy666diver -

Definitely not crazy to worry about your family. Several people have mentioned trials riding as an alternative and in many ways it is the perfect family activity. Kids can start riding their little electric trials bikes at about age 4 in the "junior" sections and there are usually about 8 or more different skill levels on the regular sections, so you (or your wife and kids) never have to ride above your ability. Unlike cars, the rocks do not become distracted and pull out in front of you.

The Southern California Trials Association is literally in your back yard with competitions in Cahuilla, Keyesville, Romoland, etc. Spectators are always welcome at trials events and you can usually observe from a few feet away as long as stay out of the riders way. You should check it out. Lots of youtube videos, just search for Observed Trials or Moto Trials.

Almost forgot the best reason, you can buy another Honda. Montesa has been owned by Honda since the 80's and the [url=http://powersports.honda.com/trials.aspx]Montesa trials bikes are manufactured in Japan and assembled at the Montesa plant in Barcelona, Spain. Available in the US from Honda dealers. Other brands include Beta, Sherco, and Gas Gas.
 
When I had a scary high-side up at Angeles Crest in the mountains about 5 years ago, I got spooked enough that I didn't get back on a bike for a while. Fortunately, thanks to my air-bag vest and Kevlar jeans, I was mostly unscathed. I was pushing my little Suzuki cruiser beyond its (and my own) limits due to some jerk in a big SUV tailgating me.
Everyone makes a choice about how much risk he is willing to accept and how to mitigate it. I avoid riding in morning rush hour. It seems like every other morning I hear on the radio "motorcycle down on Ixx". I do most of my riding on weekends and on trips with my club. To me, that is the most enjoyable form of riding, and I've still managed to rack up some decent mileage.
I also believe in ATGATT (and safety gadgets) as much as possible, and wear a jacket even on hot days - better to sweat than bleed. I have a flashing brake light and headlight modulator I use, mostly at intersections and while lane-splitting. When I do ride in traffic, I try to practice hyper awareness. I see so many cagers on their phones texting and talking and it always infuriates me. I'm getting to the point where I want to get involved politically and lobby to stiffen the fines and enforcement. The penalty should be closer to that of a DUI as it has been proven to be just as dangerous, if not more so.
Anyway, best of luck to you whatever you decide. For me, the call of two wheels was too much to stay away for too long, and now with the camaraderie of being in a club it is even more fulfilling.
 
Agree with the stiffer fines for texting. Minimum $1000 for first offence and loss of driving privileges for second would be about right.
Such fines if applied and enforced in my county would probably balance the county budget and pay for a new school.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
Amazing how many of us have gone down the same road. I got out of road riding when I was about 18 after an elderly lady pulled across my lane so she could get to a mail box. I laid my CL77 over and luckily didn't get hurt. She of course blamed me but the cop gave her the ticket. That was around 1970. Got married in 71, bought a Bultaco Alpina dirt bike and played in the woods for a few years. Had Rokon's and Honda XR's. Kids happened and business became important so got out of riding. 2010 the kids are out, the wife passed away from cancer so I went out and bought a Harley Night Rod, then a BMW S1000RR, then a Harley Road Glide Ultra, then a Can Am Spyder and now the CB1100. So 30 years away from riding but I'm back. I stick to back roads and have no intention of setting any speed records. Just nice relaxing riding. No interstate if I can help it, just quite back roads with very little traffic.
I hear people say things like this, but the data is not on your side if you are implying that back roads are safer than the interstate... the interstate is MUCH safer than any back road -- there are very few animals darting across, absolute no left turners trying to kill you (the number one cause of motorcycle accidents), and everyone is going relatively the same speed with a barrier between traffic going the other way.
 
Some lady, in a minivan, who I thought made eye contact, proceeded to make a right turn right in front of me on the way to work this morning! Luckily I was able to go around her since I made sure I had space. Definitely made me think again, and then I come on the forum and see this thread. I love riding so much though!
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
Sam Mac_imp said:
Amazing how many of us have gone down the same road. I got out of road riding when I was about 18 after an elderly lady pulled across my lane so she could get to a mail box. I laid my CL77 over and luckily didn't get hurt. She of course blamed me but the cop gave her the ticket. That was around 1970. Got married in 71, bought a Bultaco Alpina dirt bike and played in the woods for a few years. Had Rokon's and Honda XR's. Kids happened and business became important so got out of riding. 2010 the kids are out, the wife passed away from cancer so I went out and bought a Harley Night Rod, then a BMW S1000RR, then a Harley Road Glide Ultra, then a Can Am Spyder and now the CB1100. So 30 years away from riding but I'm back. I stick to back roads and have no intention of setting any speed records. Just nice relaxing riding. No interstate if I can help it, just quite back roads with very little traffic.
I hear people say things like this, but the data is not on your side if you are implying that back roads are safer than the interstate... the interstate is MUCH safer than any back road -- there are very few animals darting across, absolute no left turners trying to kill you (the number one cause of motorcycle accidents), and everyone is going relatively the same speed with a barrier between traffic going the other way.
In my town there have been more deaths on the interstate than surface streets. 8/10 times is Semi trucks flattening riders. Now I have Ortega Hwy about 10 mins form my house which is a two lane Hwy riders rave about. The amount of rider deaths on that road is inane. I steer clear of that.
Everyone's feedback has been really helpful. Another thing that got me thinking is all of my rider friends recently sold their bikes so I am a lone wolf now only commuting lol I am not going to give up two wheels though! I'm going to either keep my cb and do weekend relaxing rides or trade it in for a cheaper dual sport and do trails / back roads on week ends. But the cb truly is my dream bike so I am sure i will keep it as long as I can and can afford it. I also bought my son a ton of cafe moto baby clothes. Found a beanie with a cb750 on it. If I hold on the cb maybe I can pass it down to him when he's older.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Sam Mac_imp said:
Amazing how many of us have gone down the same road. I got out of road riding when I was about 18 after an elderly lady pulled across my lane so she could get to a mail box. I laid my CL77 over and luckily didn't get hurt. She of course blamed me but the cop gave her the ticket. That was around 1970. Got married in 71, bought a Bultaco Alpina dirt bike and played in the woods for a few years. Had Rokon's and Honda XR's. Kids happened and business became important so got out of riding. 2010 the kids are out, the wife passed away from cancer so I went out and bought a Harley Night Rod, then a BMW S1000RR, then a Harley Road Glide Ultra, then a Can Am Spyder and now the CB1100. So 30 years away from riding but I'm back. I stick to back roads and have no intention of setting any speed records. Just nice relaxing riding. No interstate if I can help it, just quite back roads with very little traffic.
I hear people say things like this, but the data is not on your side if you are implying that back roads are safer than the interstate... the interstate is MUCH safer than any back road -- there are very few animals darting across, absolute no left turners trying to kill you (the number one cause of motorcycle accidents), and everyone is going relatively the same speed with a barrier between traffic going the other way.
In my town there have been more deaths on the interstate than surface streets. 8/10 times is Semi trucks flattening riders. Now I have Ortega Hwy about 10 mins form my house which is a two lane Hwy riders rave about. The amount of rider deaths on that road is inane. I steer clear of that.
Everyone's feedback has been really helpful. Another thing that got me thinking is all of my rider friends recently sold their bikes so I am a lone wolf now only commuting lol I am not going to give up two wheels though! I'm going to either keep my cb and do weekend relaxing rides or trade it in for a cheaper dual sport and do trails / back roads on week ends. But the cb truly is my dream bike so I am sure i will keep it as long as I can and can afford it. I also bought my son a ton of cafe moto baby clothes. Found a beanie with a cb750 on it. If I hold on the cb maybe I can pass it down to him when he's older.
Congratulations on your firstborn! May he grow up healthy and to be your riding partner!
 
Back
Top