Reactions to the CB1100 elsewhere...

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since Honda announced they were bringing the CB1100 to the states, I've been spending plenty of time perusing the Internet reading up as much about the bike as I could. (And to a lesser degree for a number years before then.)

I have no idea how well this bike will, or won't, sell for Honda. But I do find it interesting to see the type and amount of conversation the bike is generating. I like standards in general and not just the CB1100. Before buying my Honda, I gave serious consideration to the Bonneville T100 and the Moto Guzzi V7 along with used W650's which show up around here every once in a while. Each bike has its own appeal to me, however none of those options blew me away the way the Honda did (no surprise, I know).

Interestingly, a number of Bonneville owners on Triumph-specific forums strike me as a bit insecure when it comes to the CB1100. That surprises me somewhat to be honest. If I think about it I suppose that Honda swiped a potential sale from Triumph in my case, but I'm not sure how common this might be amongst other CB1100 owners. If I had to guess, I'd venture that the CB1100 will draw in customers that just weren't swayed enough by the Triumphs and the Moto Guzzis, etc.. Maybe I'm wrong about that. In my case, even though it's not a retro styled bike, I was more drawn to the Street Triple than the Bonneville and had already arranged financing for a purchase when the release of the CB1100 was announced.

At any rate, I see such reactions as a real positive in that garnering such attention is a far better sign than receiving no reaction at all. Like I've said before, not only would I like to see Honda do well with this bike, but I'd like to see the sales of standards in general continue to rise across the board.

All the best,
Guth
 
I'm right there with you. I've got a couple of friends who ride Bonnevilles--one of those guys has two. Every time they arrive for a ride, I'd find myself admiring their Bonnie's with an attention I don't normally give to other guys' rides. I've got bikes that go lickity-split, but I envied them meandering down the road, enjoying the scenery. Needless to say, a CBR1000RR doesn't like putzing-along at 55mph (neither does anyone sitting atop the thing).

I didn't get to attend last year's Long Beach motorcycle show, but my buddy who has the two Bonnie's sat on the CB1100, and proclaimed, "that's a cool bike! I could see myself owning one of those."

On last Sunday's ride, he was pointing-out to another friend my new purchase. I overheard him describing it as, "that's Honda's Bonneville." I agree.

If nothing else, I'm guessing that by the strong sales we've all witnessed in the past few weeks, the CB11 will at least return next year, and in true Honda fashion, sporting a new color.

I'm betting on black. Any takers? :D
 
Triumph Bonneville owners have much to fear if history is any lesson. :cool:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Triumph Bonneville owners have much to fear if history is any lesson. :cool:
I like triumphs; I currently own a Tiger. I have owned two Bonnevilles, there is no comparison between a CB1100 and a Bonneville other than the retro styling. The CB1100 is a much more refined bike, fit and finish, and engine are much better. Not intended as knock on anyone who owns a bonneville just my opinion.
 
Oh I agree.. I had a 2003 Bonneville which I put 20,000 miles on before selling it to my younger brother who has put another 10,000 miles on it. My wife and I toured all the National Parks in Utah and Az on it in 2004 or 2005. Perfectly nice motorcycle, but a little small, a little under braked, and a little underpowered.

I agree the CB 11 is a much better all around motorcycle.

I was just having a little fun...1969 style ;)
 
Thread starter
I have similar feelings. However I find it rather amusing that some would rate the Bonnie over the CB when it comes to fit 'n finish. Triumph has picked up their game in this regard and maybe even more so since they started building the bikes in Thailand, but I still don't see that as a strong point when compared to the CB. The allure of the Bonnie is more about the vibe of the bike than anything else. Like the CB, it allows you to really enjoy some of the simpler, basic aspects of riding in style with little fuss or worry.
 
I looked at the V7 and Bonnie as well. For me, the V7 and Bonnie are much more apples to apples than the Bonnie to CB and the V7 wins hands down. The visceral experience of the Guzzi is something that must be experienced. It's easy for me to see how someone can become enthralled with that engine combined with Augostino pipes. Makes me smile thinking about it. But beyond the label of Retro, the V7 and CB are very different bikes.
 
Add another former Bonneville T100 owner here. I liked "Bonnie," but the comments about "under powered and under braked" rang true. That having been said, she was a wonderful bike for just putting around on back roads on a sunny day and drew a lot of admiring looks. The two bikes that I also considered were (believe it or not) a Harley 72 in Hard Candy Green with a white seat and white grips and the Moto Guzzi California in white. My wife thought the Harley looked like a 60's Schwin (I think it is stunning) and the CB1100 just spoke to me a little bit more than the California. Both are also retro bikes, and the big concern I see is that the primary market for all of these bikes is a demographic that is nearing the end of their motorcycle buying activity. Oh well, I'll enjoy them while I can.
 
If the CB1100 hadn't come along I probably wouldn't have bought another bike at all. I already had two bikes and didn't really need a 3rd, but as soon as I saw the CB1100 I wanted it.
 
eladoppel_imp said:
Add another former Bonneville T100 owner here. I liked "Bonnie," but the comments about "under powered and under braked" rang true. That having been said, she was a wonderful bike for just putting around on back roads on a sunny day and drew a lot of admiring looks. The two bikes that I also considered were (believe it or not) a Harley 72 in Hard Candy Green with a white seat and white grips and the Moto Guzzi California in white. My wife thought the Harley looked like a 60's Schwin (I think it is stunning) and the CB1100 just spoke to me a little bit more than the California. Both are also retro bikes, and the big concern I see is that the primary market for all of these bikes is a demographic that is nearing the end of their motorcycle buying activity. Oh well, I'll enjoy them while I can.
You can also look at it another way. The target demographic is also reaching that age when they can easily afford to fritter away $10K on the bike that they really wanted 30 yrs. ago, but couldn't afford. That's the category I'm in.

When I started riding I was poor. I couldn't afford the sought after, high powered inline 4 UJMs. I had to settle for their (much) cheaper parallel twin cousins like the Kaw 750 twins and the Yammie XS650s.

That's why I really didn't have much interest in the reborn Bonnie. I've done the shaky, underpowered parallel twin thing and don't really want to go back. My ideal bike is a standard, air cooled, inline 4 UJM type and has been since I started riding. Given the reaction of folks I've met on the bike, I'm not alone :) Sure, we're all going to die off in the next few decades, but I think there are a lot of bikes to be sold in the meantime.
 
Guth_imp said:
Since Honda announced they were bringing the CB1100 to the states, I've been spending plenty of time perusing the Internet reading up as much about the bike as I could. (And to a lesser degree for a number years before then.)

I have no idea how well this bike will, or won't, sell for Honda. But I do find it interesting to see the type and amount of conversation the bike is generating. I like standards in general and not just the CB1100. Before buying my Honda, I gave serious consideration to the Bonneville T100 and the Moto Guzzi V7 along with used W650's which show up around here every once in a while. Each bike has its own appeal to me, however none of those options blew me away the way the Honda did (no surprise, I know).

Interestingly, a number of Bonneville owners on Triumph-specific forums strike me as a bit insecure when it comes to the CB1100. That surprises me somewhat to be honest. If I think about it I suppose that Honda swiped a potential sale from Triumph in my case, but I'm not sure how common this might be amongst other CB1100 owners. If I had to guess, I'd venture that the CB1100 will draw in customers that just weren't swayed enough by the Triumphs and the Moto Guzzis, etc.. Maybe I'm wrong about that. In my case, even though it's not a retro styled bike, I was more drawn to the Street Triple than the Bonneville and had already arranged financing for a purchase when the release of the CB1100 was announced.

At any rate, I see such reactions as a real positive in that garnering such attention is a far better sign than receiving no reaction at all. Like I've said before, not only would I like to see Honda do well with this bike, but I'd like to see the sales of standards in general continue to rise across the board.

All the best,
Guth
I am replying to a quite old post, I know ... but you are right: same for me. I test rode Bonnie T100 and Guzzi V7 (and some others), but none of these finally caught me completely.
 
I would have bought the V7 if the CB had not come out. But the V7 is a bit small for me (think long arms and legs) and 50 horses is OK, but ten more would have been better to help on the mountain passes. 80hp is more than enough for me.
 
Thread starter
We're really digging up an old thread here.

I still find it entertaining so see how other retro bike owners respond to the CB1100. In the Triumph world in particular, many imply that the CB1100 is lacking the cool factor of a Triumph. Of course, the Triumphs of today are Triumphs in name only — the brand is owned by a business known primarily for homebuiding. Most Triumphs are now being built in Thailand. Not quite the romantic vision of Triumph that many hold on to. Of course that doesn't have anything to do with how good a bike the Triumphs might be, and I do like them. But at least the CB1100 draws directly upon the heritage of the original CBs, the lineage of which has remained unbroken over time. That to me is pretty cool.
 
I've made the same point about the Triumphs ( even though I had one) and most recently about the new Indians. They are Indian in name only sharing zero DNA with the originals.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I've made the same point about the Triumphs ( even though I had one) and most recently about the new Indians. They are Indian in name only sharing zero DNA with the originals.
Indeed.

I don't mean to imply that I'm not happy that these motorcycles are around because I am.

In reality however, those brand names are like lifelines for these companies. Had Bloor Holdings started a new brand called "Conquer Motorcycles" instead of buying the Triumph name, it would have been a far harder sell. Likewise, imagine Polaris starting up "Native Motorcycles" instead of buying up the Indian brand. I can't see that generating much interest. Still, I'm guessing that Bloor and Polaris have to pour a huge amount of money into the marketing of their motorcycle companies to try and achieve a mental connection to the great marques from the past amongst the consumers of today for these bikes that are Triumphs and Indians in name only.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I would have bought the V7 if the CB had not come out. But the V7 is a bit small for me (think long arms and legs) and 50 horses is OK, but ten more would have been better to help on the mountain passes. 80hp is more than enough for me.
Yes, right, the V7 engine is quite nice and would have been enough for me. Good sound and nice torque.
But the gear box was terrible (okay, if you are used to a Honda gear box then it is hard for other brands to compete with), the V7 has no ABS and ... errr ... it is "Made in Italy" (with all its pros and cons). My colleague has a Guzzi Stelvio and had/has lots of trouble with it.
The Bonnie disappointed me with its boring engine and the too-much-retro look, but a pro was the built quality.
While I was a bit clueless what to do, Honda issued some weeks later the CB 1100. :D
 
I own both a Bonnie (actually two) and a CB. I find them to be quite complementary and equally respectful modern representatives of their forebears, and I really don't care about who owns the company or whether it was reborn or where the bike is built. Origin snobbery is quite counterproductive. I'd say that all of the current modern classic motorcycles are fine and built to specifications that favor good all around performance aimed at smart enthusiasts. All of the original models they refer to were the best performance bikes of their era. No longer.

I think the CB is a better all- around bike, but I can't say i love it more than the Bonnie. Emotion counts. I wanted to love the Griso, but mine was a flaming (literally) turd, and without ample and expensive aftermarket tuning, was unrideable under 3k RPM. Reliability and practicality also count.

Whatever floats your boat, but the CB is a great bike, as are it's competitors in the retro segment.
 
Guth..one thing I did discover, which is a shred of DNA to the old Triumph is, when Bloor bought the Triumph name (for $200,000 £ ..he was actually looking to buy the land the old plant was sitting on, to build houses..his primary business, but he skipped buying the plant and bought the name and tooling instead) and decided to build motorcycles, he hired 3 of the old designers from the original Triumph Company and took them to Japan to see how to build better motorcycles. So to me there is a small link of DNA there to the old Triumph.

Original Indian designers died decades ago.
 
A buddy in Slovenia had a Moto Guzzi Nevada, had some issues with the bike but his biggest problem was the local dealer. Replaced the Nevada with a HD XR1200 and loves it. Local buddy has a 2009 Griso and sunk a ton of money into it to get it to run the way he wants. I have the 2012 and it runs like a champ. I have three "complaints", too much power, mileage is not that good and the seat sucks. Working on two of them but I fear the mileage thing is just a nature of the beast.

Guzzi seems to have more of what is fun about Italian bikes and less of the bad. I hope the trend continues. The CB embodies all the good about the old Honda and less of the bad (ownership of a CB350F is teaching me four carbs is not a good thing). Now if Honda will just get off its' bum and decide how to fix my bike I'll be golden. :)

I did find the Bonny to be a very nice machine but the motor had the personality of milk toast. Meh.
 
Origin snobbery is counter productive...Capo

Capo unless you are an enthusiast/ historian. I have been collecting reference books and studying them since the 60s. Lineage is just as important to me in motorcycles as lineage is in people. I know weird huh? Lol
 
Back
Top