Rats my pc reverted to messed up format

Well PB, I use Safari. I got it to work today by deleting the ‘s’ from the address shown in the search bar.

The icon in the favorites folder does not have the ‘s’, but when click on it, somehow the ‘s’ shows up and I manually delete it and all is good. I’ll fool around with it some more.
 
:thumbsup:, this is what I did, but i am using the Chrome while Safari is sitting in a rescue den :beerchug:

P.S. how many yellow dollies do you have, one or two?
 
One yellow, and one black one that says Venom on it. The Venom will not support the ST.

Right now they are both supporting their own weight, i.e. just leaned against the wall in the garage :)
 
I was just updating my iPhone to iOS 18.2 and skimmed the release notes. Under "Safari" is says, "HTTPS Priority upgrades URLs to HTTPS whenever possible. That's exactly what it does with this forum and I can't find an option to exempt it from happening. Sadly, there's nothing about Safari in the very useful document kennyw provided, but deleting the 's' from 'https' once did the trick and browsing the site was fine after that. At least until you click on a link that opens another tab or close the browser / tab. When you reopen the site it will again default to 'https'. There is a setting that will warn you when a site is insecure — i.e. uses 'http'. It works for me on one site but not on this site.

Looks like iOS and iPadOS users may just have to delete the 's' every session until someone figures out how to change the setting

I'm using Firefox as my browser at the moment and, coincidentally, when I started it on my laptop this morning, it automatically made the connection to the forum secure — ie turned 'http' into https'. There's a little padlock item at the left hand side of the URL bar and clicking on that gave me an option to turn off 'make the site secure'.

Firefox on my iPad has a similar option.

Maybe Apple users with a problem should use a browser that has a setting that allows the user to nominate unsafe sites to display.
Update:

I think kennyw's link actually only relates to an Adobe product — the Visual Experience Composer — and may not be much use to us users.

I just had a fiddle with a PC using Edge and the following seemed to work:

1. Go to edge://settings/content/insecureContent and under the heading "Allow" add "cb1100forum.com".
2. Create a bookmark to "http://cb1100forum.com/forum/index.php" and use it to start the site. Note: including "http;//" in the bookmark seems to be important; if it's not there, the browser is likely to insert "https://"

As for the Apple ecosystem ... who knows? Firefox on my old laptop just did something strange to the site.
 
Update, I downloaded Microsoft Edge on my iPad today and it appears to work. I just responded to Gone’s “Going to keep an eye on this…” thread, with a Imgur picture link.
After I downloaded Edge, I searched for our CB1100 forum. Or course, IOS 18.2 messed up the format.
I deleted the ‘s’ from https and reloaded the forum. The format was perfect. I saved the http CB1100 URL to my Edge Favorites and then shut Edge off.
I restarted Edge, choose the our forum in my Edge Favorites, and the forum’s format was perfect.
The only thing you have to deal with is when making a post, or some other action, a pop up small banners reminding you that you’re in an insecure site. Just click “send anyways”
Hopefully, this will work for us.
(So there, PB!) ;)
 
I downloaded Firefox on my iPad and it works fine without forcing HSTS or elevating an HTTP link to HTTPS like Safari does. It also integrates with the Apple Keychain for automatically filling passwords.

It will load this site as HTTP even after closing the app and clearing the cache. Give it a try.
 
Can't believe this thread continues to go on..

It's NOT anyone's PC - it's NOT anyone's browser

The ONLY problem is the security certificate- the S in HTTPS

Super easy 5 minute fix for whomever the admin is at this site.

As I said in the past... if the guy doesn't want / isn't willing to run the site properly... I'll happily take it over and make it better.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Can't believe this thread continues to go on..

It's NOT anyone's PC - it's NOT anyone's browser

The ONLY problem is the security certificate- the S in HTTPS

Super easy 5 minute fix for whomever the admin is at this site.

As I said in the past... if the guy doesn't want / isn't willing to run the site properly... I'll happily take it over and make it better.
So, my two cents...

It isn't that simple. The site has no HTTPS certificate. That requires purchasing a certificate or using a free alternative such as Let'sEncrypt, ZeroSSL, etc. as long as all three major browsers support and publish that CA. Then the cert needs to be configured on the server which is more than just importing it into the underlying web server. MyBB likely needs to be updated and reconfigured as well. Either way, it is a bigger job than can be done in 5 minutes, no matter how fast you can type.

Not to mention Guth has previously stated he has no intention of making the forum secure. So that means all we can do is continue to post advice and suggestions to other forums members on how to navigate around this until such time as Guth decides to shut the forum down. It's as simple as that really.
 
Thread starter
Well, talk about weird. About 5 mins ago I logged onto my PC and the forum format is back to normal.

This is crazy
 
Thread starter
:rofl: it was nothing I did, but its still normal ( knock on wood)
 
Well shoot. My Iphone updated to IOS 18.3 last night. Now, for the first time, Safari won't let you manually delete the "S" from HTTP and save the URL so that it stays HTTP.

If someone found a workaround please let me know. I put Chrome on my phone just to look at the site in its regular format, but that means I have to push an extra button. Whah.
 
I just updated my iOS to 18.3 and thought I had the same problem. On the second attempt I was able to delete the 's'.
 
Did it stay normal? If I do it and bookmark, it reverts back next time the site loads.
 
Back
Top