Race Tech Fork Springs

Can I necro this thread? It was posted to me as a reply and I was looking at the Racetech springs.

What I'm not sure of is, do I need any of the other stuff they're selling? Honestly doubt my seals/etc. have ever been replaced, but I don't have any reason to suspect a leak.

The previous springs I swapped were Bonnevilles, on a less than a year old bike, and all we did was open the tubes and swap springs. Little bit more cautious since this is my bike, and I'm not sure what the previous owner did, as far as maintenance, aside from fall over.
 
Changing fork springs improves the ride? Did you change to a different spring rate? Were you experiencing bottoming, or excessive front end dive when braking that possibly a higher rate spring cured? Installing a higher rate spring can also cause the forks to ride higher in their stroke, which may improve the ride, is this possibly the case you are experiencing? Or did you change to lower rate springs, which would make the ride smoother? If you replaced your stock springs with springs that have the exact same spring rate I don't understand how the ride can be improved. Can you please explain why your new springs improved your bike - what exactly are the changes you are seeing?

Thanks.
 
Dave_imp said:
Changing fork springs improves the ride? Did you change to a different spring rate? Were you experiencing bottoming, or excessive front end dive when braking that possibly a higher rate spring cured? Installing a higher rate spring can also cause the forks to ride higher in their stroke, which may improve the ride, is this possibly the case you are experiencing? Or did you change to lower rate springs, which would make the ride smoother? If you replaced your stock springs with springs that have the exact same spring rate I don't understand how the ride can be improved. Can you please explain why your new springs improved your bike - what exactly are the changes you are seeing?

Thanks.

I went with a heavier spring, I believe stock cb1100 to be set up for a 165# rider . I believe the springs are .75. I went with progressive 1.0. I also went with 15w. Oil . Night and day as far as the ride goes I used to crash down hard on potholes, cornering wash slushee, I need to bite the bullet on rear shocks to even it out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Dave_imp said:
Changing fork springs improves the ride? Did you change to a different spring rate? Were you experiencing bottoming, or excessive front end dive when braking that possibly a higher rate spring cured? Installing a higher rate spring can also cause the forks to ride higher in their stroke, which may improve the ride, is this possibly the case you are experiencing? Or did you change to lower rate springs, which would make the ride smoother? If you replaced your stock springs with springs that have the exact same spring rate I don't understand how the ride can be improved. Can you please explain why your new springs improved your bike - what exactly are the changes you are seeing?

Thanks.
I have a '13 model and RaceTech recommends a 0.83 Kg/mm rate for the forks for me, 175 lbs. Is the stock spring 0.75 Kg/mm? If so, all I need is the damping mods, right? Looks like totally new rear shocks are needed, any recommendations? I like RaceTech, they performed magic on my old ZX9R.
 
emullick_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Changing fork springs improves the ride? Did you change to a different spring rate? Were you experiencing bottoming, or excessive front end dive when braking that possibly a higher rate spring cured? Installing a higher rate spring can also cause the forks to ride higher in their stroke, which may improve the ride, is this possibly the case you are experiencing? Or did you change to lower rate springs, which would make the ride smoother? If you replaced your stock springs with springs that have the exact same spring rate I don't understand how the ride can be improved. Can you please explain why your new springs improved your bike - what exactly are the changes you are seeing?

Thanks.
I have a '13 model and RaceTech recommends a 0.83 Kg/mm rate for the forks for me, 175 lbs. Is the stock spring 0.75 Kg/mm? If so, all I need is the damping mods, right? Looks like totally new rear shocks are needed, any recommendations? I like RaceTech, they performed magic on my old ZX9R.
From the pics I've seen , the 2013 uses progressive (or dual) rate springs (ie, one section of coils is wound tighter than the rest), so spring rates for a progressive spring will typically have two numbers to indicate the two different coiled sizes.
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF progressive spring rates.

That 0.75kg/mm spring rate is more likely that of a linear rate spring.

If you decide to go with Racetech emulators, [url=http://m.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7735]THIS POST has excellent info
 
TINK_imp said:
Just in case anyone needs it, here's my slide show on fork spring replacement > http://www.photosbytink.com/cb1100forksprings/

I have to agree with aschem; suspension is the best upgrade you can do to your bike.
It's been a couple of years since I upgraded my fork springs to Race Tech.
I recently serviced my fork oil with 15W and adjusted the preload to 15mm, per Race Tech's recommendation.
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Honda/CB1100A Retro/2013-17

TINK
 
aschem_imp said:
Installed them on Friday. As a 225lb rider, I can say that this has been the best $100 spent on my bike. Goes over bumps smoother and less harsh when I hit hit rough spots on the road.
Ooooooo. Just noticed.

So your preference? The CB or the Bandit? I am curious.
 
Back
Top