R nineT in brushed aluminum?

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
To my eye both the R nineT and the Thruxton R succeed in part because they feature lots of nice attention to detail. A guy that lived along the route of my old commute owned an R nineT and sometimes I'd see it parked outside. I found the bike to be more attractive in person than I expected. I didn't know that BMW is now offering it with a brushed aluminum tank. I'm surprised that I like it as much as I do (I've never cared all that much for that sort of thing). For me it just seems to fit nicely with the overall styling of the bike. But man that seat still looks "less than comfortable". If Honda had never released the CB1100, I might find myself tempted by this version of the R nineT (that is if a used one for a decent price existed, lol.)

BMW RnineT vs. Triumph Thruxton R
 
I have always been attracted to BMWs, even when I was a kid... My dad rode Harleys and Indians, and I loved BMWs. On several forums when talking about beautiful motorcycles, I named the 1977-1978 R/90s and R100s as the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced, and since 1977 I have tried to buy BMWs 4 separate times. I just don't like them when I ride them. Shame, because I think they make stunning motorcycles.
 
You need to try a K75. A lot better than the boxer, but not as good looking. One day I will get an R90 but I need a bigger garage fast.
 
The K75 may be better but it doesn't look like a "BMW"
 
Just a new definition, of beauty, that now after 31 years is a classic. As a good friend pointed out I like riding a Bavarian motorcycle, while wearing a Swiss watch (Omega moon watch the lads wore on the moon) and packing an Austrian (Glock) pistol. But now I can also ride a Honda, while wearing my Citizen eco drive watch.

But I agree the R90/s is a classic.

Lol
 
Just test rode a K75 flying brick. Sooo tempted! and available dirt cheap - asking $1,300 and is clean with low mileage. Great engines that never wear out but the clutch and transmissions are another story. Also just rode an R850R, fun bike. Fit me fine and has a newish clutch but the suspension is all original and the front end clunks. Asking $3k for that one. I like bikes with some personality and soul.
BMW's have great power delivery and are comfortable to ride, have owned several. Really like the RnineT and have ridden it more than once. Just too new and expensive for me and way more power than I should be allowed to have.

Having lots of fun shopping, now I see why my wife enjoys it so much.
 
LOL, my wife cringes every time we pass a motorcycle store and I cringe everytime I see a Target sign.

You have a strong will 4 Paws, not sure I could have passed on the K75.
 
K75 has drive shaft spline issue solved by frequent greasing with moly. Clutch will last but need to grease splines a little. Tranny clunks but will last if taken care off some have grub screw that comes lose. And there is the poor radiator fan solved with a Spal replacement.

Rear engine seal is an issue but easy fix. Need to install headlight relay

The K75 will go hundreds of miles if you address a few design issues but will shift like a truck but can be helped by greasing clutch splines and synthetic lube in tranny with moly added.

The bike will not wear out, but the rider will! Top heavy bike. I like mine

That bike is a bargain but less power than the CB1100 and not as smooth shifting as the CB however less vibration than the CB




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I like shopping too. JUst stopped at a shop down in Kentucky and test sat a new 2017 SV 650 Suzuki ( nice good fit) a Kaw Versys 650 (too tall) and a Ninja 650 ( also good fit... Same engine as the Versys). Also looked at but didnt sit on an new Africa Twin (pretty, but really tall and not really useful for me)
 
Always loved the K bikes - and have never understood the attraction of the Boxer bikes (or Guzzis, with their cylinders hanging out in the wind, for that matter). Regardless, I really enjoy hearing about others' experiences and stories about all their different bikes and love affairs thereof.
Funny how we all love the CB so, yet still manage to have such diverse tastes in bikes overall!
 
Lol the cylinders haging out in the wind is what is attractive about boxers to me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I like shopping too. JUst stopped at a shop down in Kentucky and test sat a new 2017 SV 650 Suzuki ( nice good fit) a Kaw Versys 650 (too tall) and a Ninja 650 ( also good fit... Same engine as the Versys). Also looked at but didnt sit on an new Africa Twin (pretty, but really tall and not really useful for me)
There is a Honda/Suzuki dealer nearby that will let you test ride most everything. Hopefully he has an Africa Twin to ride. It's on the other side of the bridge, which is a commitment this time of year as you may be late for dinner. What color was the one you saw ?
 
red/white and black. pretty thing
 
Buddy is just finishing the TAT on a new Africia Twin, looking forwards to hearing his report.
Think I FINALLY found a bike, CB500x at my price! Seller and I will get together next week when we are both in the same town, at the dealer who has the K75. If it's still available I'll offer what I want to pay, if he wants to negotiate some I'll sneak it into the basement and see if the wife notices.
Everyone needs a spare bike for their buddy to ride. A Flying Brick has panache!
Versus, 2012 and up, tempting. But then again everything with two wheels tempts me. Amazing how many dealerships let "adults" test ride bikes. Thank you.
My Ural is an airhead with the cylinders in the wind, simple and fun. BMW airheads built their enduring reputation and the RnineT a worthy successor.
76thru 94 airheads still holding their value.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Always loved the K bikes - and have never understood the attraction of the Boxer bikes (or Guzzis, with their cylinders hanging out in the wind, for that matter). Regardless, I really enjoy hearing about others' experiences and stories about all their different bikes and love affairs thereof.
Funny how we all love the CB so, yet still manage to have such diverse tastes in bikes overall!
Moto Guzzi, the way V was meant to be! :)



[url=http://s233.photobucket.com/user/dswansbiker/media/DSCN0770.jpg.html]
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Just test rode a K75 flying brick. Sooo tempted! and available dirt cheap - asking $1,300 and is clean with low mileage. Great engines that never wear out but the clutch and transmissions are another story. Also just rode an R850R, fun bike. Fit me fine and has a newish clutch but the suspension is all original and the front end clunks. Asking $3k for that one. I like bikes with some personality and soul.
BMW's have great power delivery and are comfortable to ride, have owned several. Really like the RnineT and have ridden it more than once. Just too new and expensive for me and way more power than I should be allowed to have.

Having lots of fun shopping, now I see why my wife enjoys it so much.
I owned two K75's before buying an R850R and putting 40k miles on it in three years. IMO, the R850R is the superior bike -- better power, greater carrying capacity, better suspension, more modern brakes, easier maintenance. The front end clunking you heard is not normal. Telelever-equipped bikes are sweet handling machines and the R850R is no exception.
 
Hey Guth.......I went to the dealer to look at the R9T....I retired in 2014 at 62 and I am selling off 6 of my 10 bikes. I will NEVER sell my CB1100, it will be in my garage long after I can no longer ride. Having said that the 4 bikes I'm keeping are my CB1100, VFR800, Monster S2R1000, and Road King Classic. We trailer the RK to Idaho and my wife and I take numerous rides thru Yellowstone Park. I've never had a Boxer twin and after visiting the dealer I decided the R1200R is the bike that will eventually replace my RK when it just gets too heavy to safely use. The R9T is an awesome bike but my wife insists on some kind of backrest so the R1200R with a Corbin gunfighter and lady seat is the way I'm leaning.....when we ride in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming we take a lot of gear so we need the saddlebags and tail trunk that goes on easily on the R1200R....I will try and post a pic of the bike with the bags/trunk off.
 
Back
Top