R&G front axle sliders

gretle_2.0

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys just installed these front axle sliders, not sure I like the look of them on but hoping if I ever go down they help somewhat. And please excuse the no front fender, currently waiting for my MIZ fender to arrive. Does anyone else here have or have used front axle sliders for our bikes?
 
Thread starter
LayerCake_imp said:
I don't have any additional sliders or tank guards yet. Also was there a photo supposed to be in your post?
Yes, don’t know why it wasn’t working early but here are a few pictures of them.
 
I have sliders but not on the axle.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I don't use them, I am hoping the engine bars negate the need for axle sliders?
Ditto.

Over the years I thought about them, but have not actually had to use 'em even when an event would have tested the need for them.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
I don't use them, I am hoping the engine bars negate the need for axle sliders?
Ditto.

Over the years I thought about them, but have not actually had to use 'em even when an event would have tested the need for them.
Ditto.

Over the years I thought about them, but have not actually had to use 'em even when an event would have tested the need for them.
Hmm I have the SW Motech engine guards installed already so I’m assuming with those there’s not really a chance for the fork axle to come in contact with the ground then..I wonder if I should remove them then if they serve no purpose with the engine guards installed.
 
Surely engine bars won’t necessarily stop the axle from contacting the ground if the bike’s down and sliding down the road?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Surely engine bars won’t necessarily stop the axle from contacting the ground if the bike’s down and sliding down the road?
Hmm I guess that’s true, extra protection doesn’t hurt I guess.
 
gretle_2.0_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Surely engine bars won’t necessarily stop the axle from contacting the ground if the bike’s down and sliding down the road?
Hmm I guess that’s true, extra protection doesn’t hurt I guess.
Hmm I guess that’s true, extra protection doesn’t hurt I guess.
... not unless you are sliding under the bike protecting all its precious parts. This is not theory - it works.
 
What axle sliders do, despite the name, is actually protect the ends of your forks. Forks can be a real pain financially to replace, and often times fork damage can be the difference between insurance repairing your bike and totalling your bike.

For example: When my Vstrom was backed into by a Fertilizer truck one of the forks was damaged. it wasn't even bent. The shop said both forks were still true. It was just cosmetic damage, but it would have required the insurance company to replace the lower fork tube. They specifically cited this as one of the expenses that rendered the bike a "total loss" rather than repairable. That and the dent in the gas tank. That wasn't a sliding accident, but i told the story to illustrate just how expensive those parts can be and how it can tip the repair bill over the line. If you're in a slide and you have a good set of axle sliders, you'll avoid damage to your forks 9/10 times. engine guards will do the same for the engine and the front end of the bike. If you add Bar-end sliders to the engine guards you can usually even avoid damage to your gas tank. This really helps keep the bike from getting totalled in the event of an accident.



I think about these things a lot because I want to keep my CB1100 no matter what, and I can't have some insurance company declaring it dead on arrival just because i took it for a little slide.
 
I guess what I am trying to say that if my bike is laying on its side the forks where the fork sliders would reside will not be the item touching the ground. One could even view them as an extension to the forks and therefore expose them to more damage by being caught rather than less damage? YMMV of course.
 
Back
Top